Where to camp

Big A

Uhhhh...... You can drink in State Parks.

Just don't be so much of a dumbass that the Ranger is called.

;)

KillJoy

Don't plan on it but I hear they can be pretty strict. I think i have found one but if anyone has any other first hand experience that would be nice.

Don't plan on it but I hear they can be pretty strict. I think i have found one but if anyone has any other first hand experience that would be nice.

Yeah, I wouldn't drink at state parks. My friends got busted for it, the rangers walked around on foot and came out of the bushes, we didn't even see them, and my dumbass friends had beer in their hands. Bad thing is they were underage at the time. If you're smart about it you won't get caught but it's not really worth the hassle.

Andrew if you find a place let me know. I've been trying to find a new place to camp, every place I've been to has been a state park. Some of my friends used to talk about camping at Trapper Johns but as far as I know it's just a canoe/kayak place...

If you do go to the strip mine areas such as the ones near McConnelsville be warned that a permit is required and can be obtained free from the ODNR website. Its just a registration form that is submitted and you must print a copy and have it on you while in the area. I'm not sure how much they patrol the area, but getting caught without one will get you a fine.

My back yard, behind the garage?

Ummmm, no

Yeah, I wouldn't drink at state parks. My friends got busted for it, the rangers walked around on foot and came out of the bushes, we didn't even see them, and my dumbass friends had beer in their hands. Bad thing is they were underage at the time. If you're smart about it you won't get caught but it's not really worth the hassle.

Andrew if you find a place let me know. I've been trying to find a new place to camp, every place I've been to has been a state park. Some of my friends used to talk about camping at Trapper Johns but as far as I know it's just a canoe/kayak place...

That is the same stuff people have been telling me, its not worth the hassle. I have a couple I'm going to call and see. I'll let you know in a couple weeks where we end up and how we liked it.

AEP RE-Creation. no rangers or anything there. just be ready for a very back woods experience. you need a permit, but its just a form you print out and sign saying you will follow the rules. me and my buddy went there last year and everyone was drinking.

We are trying out a new park this summer and we are going to Burr Oak State Park, supposed to be great for bass fishing. Probably not so great for getting wasted though.

AEP RE-Creation. no rangers or anything there. just be ready for a very back woods experience. you need a permit, but its just a form you print out and sign saying you will follow the rules. me and my buddy went there last year and everyone was drinking.

We are trying out a new park this summer and we are going to Burr Oak State Park, supposed to be great for bass fishing. Probably not so great for getting wasted though.

Burr Oak is king for Bass fishing. Just make sure you have a boat.

AEP FTW. I love that area. My only problem with stayin there is that I go there to go fishing and I spend the entire trip exploring the place.It is just cool.

I take it there is no electric, water or anything?

You can drink at any of the state parks. You just need to keep it in your campsite, if you walk around with a beer you are subject to ohio laws (and you are on a public road). I have done it plenty of times at Alum.

I dunno about that. Every time I'm at Alum, the rangers park their cruiser way up the road and walk around at night between the campsites. We were sitting at our site just watching the fire burn and they came out of the bushes from the site over from us and busted us. Luckilly I had my beer hidden and didn't get caught. The few times I've been there since, they still walk around at night. Sneaky bastards.

AEP is def the best place in ohio. camped there several summers in a row. good fishing and pretty much anything goes. never seen a ranger. not sure there are rules, haha. you can find maps of the entire area in select stores. dont remember where we got ours.

Where can i get the list of rules for the AEP ground it sounds pretty awesome.

http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/

Aep has 3 sites. north of 70 is conesville, I haven't been there.

South of 70 is avondale and the re-creation land. re-creation land has the primitive campsites for overnight camping. They regularly stack up big piles of free wood in a few spots around each location, you just have to fight other people for it, and it's cut into like 6'-8' pieces so bring a hand saw. There are primitive potties around and water from hand pump wells(dunno if i would drink it). They definitly stack up on holiday weekends, and there is no reservation system. first come first serve.

The re-creation land fishing is meh. The lakes around the campsites get alot of pressure but will produc decent size channel catfish just about the right size for eating. I've caught flathead there too, but nothing of any size.

If you break out of the campsites, the PDF maps are about 70% accurate as to the location of little lakes. If you can find one thats remote and doesn't see alot of pressure you'll be in for some fun. 5lb largemouth are not hard to catch there. I recommend driving to avondale if you're gonna be fishing. Alot of good lakes there, or hike the little part of the buckeye trail that runs through the recreation land. That holds some good fish as well.

I have heard tell of trails for off road trucks and atvs down there. Is that just a do at your own risk and probably get caught kind of thing or is there a designated area?

No designated area and if your not a local I wouldn't risk it. The innocent looking mud holes easily eat my offroad truck with lockers and 38" boggers. The locals know which ones to avoid because they created them. You'll see lots of 4 wheelers on the roads, but nothing motorized is allowed off the roads. The 4 wheelers are almost exclusively locals also just enjoying the day.

Drinking in State parks is illegal. Read the rules of the campgrounds when you sign in. It is the first rule on the list. There are some pretty hefty fines and some parks actually have a drunk tank.

Back to the original post, I am surpised no one has mentioned Mohician State Park area. The campgrounds off Wally Road are not in the state park and most allow drinking. Plus you can sites right on the river.

Everyone talking about Ohio power makes me want to head out there again. I haven't been out there since I was a kid. And I have heard those old mine roads are some fun trails but some of them can be very tough.