Thinking about buying an Audi

Johny Utah

I found a 2004 Audi A6 2.7 Turbo quattro for 13,500 with 87,000 on it. I have a 98 Accord V6 coupe right now for my daily driver.

How much better is this Audi in comparison? The Accord is super reliable and gets good gas mileage and is pretty quick. Does not handle good though.

If you are used to the Honda and you are able to afford it pretty well stick with it. The Audi will be a nightmare there is a reason people sell them around that mileage. It is coming up on the labor intensive timing belt service, these are known for the turbos leaking oil (there are two of them on this engine if you didn't know) and to repair them requires removing the engine, the valve covers leak and they are a pain in the butt to replace as well as the rear cam shaft seals.

87K miles is what we call the "danger zone" expect t-belt, leaking turbos, front axle shafts, and any of the 8 control arm links to go bad. Would not touch it with a stick UNLESS you can get it to a shop and they can tell you the underside of the car is 100% oil free which is highly unlikely.

I would upgrade to maybe a newer Honda if you like yours or if you want something nicer move up to an Acura TL or something. I would not do an Audi unless it had 0 miles and I would plan on selling it after the 60K service.

The A6's don't have the turbo failures that the S4's did because the engine bay is much larger and allows for better cooling. With that said, it still won't have any warranty, and will require more maint (synthetic oil, more expensive filters timing belt service if it wasn't done already etc).

I would look into the A4 range for that price, and the GTI/GLI from VW. With any used car, you should expect to have to take care of a few things (change all of the fluids, plugs, filters etc) to get it 100%, and should have a few bucks tucked away for some repairs.

No German car will have Honda reliability, but my wife and I's last 3 VW's (bought new though) have 33k miles with 0 service visits.

My wife's 2000 Passat GLX V6 has the ATQ 2.8L 30V V6...similar to (and used as the base motor) for the 2.7L TT V6. I just replaced the timing belt last fall at around 90k miles, only to have the clutch go at 92k miles. It's been sitting in my garage since May.

I've had great reliability out of this car, and it's paid for. However, I have a feeling I'm going down a slippery slope of repairs that will be in order for this thing. :(

My wife's 2000 Passat GLX V6 uses a similar ATQ 2.8L 30V V6 as the base for the 2.7L TT V6. I just replaced the timing belt last fall at around 90k miles, only to have the clutch go at 92k miles. It's been sitting in my garage since May.

I've had great reliability out of this car, and it's paid for. However, I have a feeling I'm going down a slippery slope of repairs that will be in order for this thing. :(

You are actually in great shape with the 2.8. Generally one of the most reliable VW/Audi engines to have. Aside from on occasional coil pack & normal maintenance they aren't bad at all compared to the 2.7T.

The A6's don't have the turbo failures that the S4's did because the engine bay is much larger and allows for better cooling. With that said, it still won't have any warranty, and will require more maint (synthetic oil, more expensive filters timing belt service if it wasn't done already etc).

We've got a 2.7T A6 with 93K and records of synthetic oil changes and both the turbos are puking oil all down the side of the block and onto the floor in their garage. Theirs is not the only one and almost every Audi/VW turbo car that comes in is leaking oil from the turbo or coolant on the VW's. That is why I said what I said....

Depends on what you want out of a car. If you are looking for something nicer, with some power that handles better, A6 all the way.

What MKV Aaron said is generally true about the 2.7 in the A6 compared to the one in the S4, the engine bay is bigger, providing better cooling, and also the ECU is tuned back so not as much stress on the turbos.

But obviously when there arent any turbos, its impossible for them to fail, but then theres also no boost yo.

Dont expect to get away with the same maintenance on the audi as the accord, turbo audis are finicky.

How much better is this Audi in comparison?

Well, that depends on if you want to drive a toaster (appliance) or not. I'm not impressed with accords. My stepmom had one, and the strut bearings (or something?) were failing at 100k miles, as well as many many other things.It generally drove like a giant toy car. I don't know how you can compare a rinky-dink tin can like that with a vault-like, solid, smooth Audi. At the price these cars can be bought, you can do a turbo swap and have a super reliable very fast (mid 12's) car for well under $15k. And you can drive it year around, pwning on lesser vehicles in the rain and snow. There's no comparison.

Well, that depends on if you want to drive a toaster (appliance) or not. I'm not impressed with accords. My stepmom had one, and the strut bearings (or something?) were failing at 100k miles, as well as many many other things.It generally drove like a giant toy car. I don't know how you can compare a rinky-dink tin can like that with a vault-like, solid, smooth Audi. At the price these cars can be bought, you can do a turbo swap and have a super reliable very fast (mid 12's) car for well under $15k. And you can drive it year around, pwning on lesser vehicles in the rain and snow. There's no comparison.

Ahh yes the Accords with the bad strut bearings. Honda put out a giant recall on them. Seems like most of the time they couldn't FIND the problem with them. Weird.

Keep the Honda