blazer no start

Ryan218

replaced the head gaskets on this blazer thats here and now it wont start. what are the best way to time these at grandma's boy didnt bother marking the dis when he pulled it out. and right now i think thats why it doesnt want to fire up.

drop the dis in with the rotor pointing at cylider 1 and cylider 1 at TDC correct?

96 blazer 4.3 vortec

replaced the head gaskets on this blazer thats here and now it wont start. what are the best way to time these at grandma's boy didnt bother marking the dis when he pulled it out. and right now i think thats why it doesnt want to fire up.

drop the dis in with the rotor pointing at cylider 1 and cylider 1 at TDC correct?

96 blazer 4.3 vortec

Pretty much, as long as its on compresion stroke. If it won't start you can turn the dis 180 and try that.

See if you've got spark, and double check stuff. That spider injection is a finiky bitch too.

Pretty much, as long as its on compresion stroke. If it won't start you can turn the dis 180 and try that.

See if you've got spark, and double check stuff. That spider injection is a finiky bitch too.

its got spark, its got fuel, its on the compression stroke. guess ill go throw everything back together and see what happens. my guess is its not going to start though. :o

last night i took it all back apart and all the valves were stuck open :confused:

its got spark, its got fuel, its on the compression stroke. guess ill go throw everything back together and see what happens. my guess is its not going to start though. :o

last night i took it all back apart and all the valves were stuck open :confused:

ummmm okay. :confused:

ummmm okay. :confused:

i think its becasue of a mistake i made. i soaked the new lifters in oil and i guess your not suppose to do that with hydrolic lifters :o i bleed them done so i hope thats all i did. ( i hate chevys btw)

I always soak the lifters.

Sounds like what was already stated... Distributor is not in the correct place. TDC 1 and put DIS on 1, if it doesnt start your 180 out. If you flipped it 180 it should have started.

Did you wire it up like you know how to wire Fords? Or did you wire it how a Chevy is supposed to be wired?

You know they spin opposite directions, that will leave you hanging for awhile.

Your thinking is correct, and would be running now (assuming the TDC you set the timing to is the compression stroke) if it had a "standard" chevy distributor cap. Look at that cap up close. You will see goofy looking tunnels across the top, at the end of those tunnels is where the lead starts (and then goes to the wire). Kind of hard to explain, basically follow you #1 plug wire to the cap, and then follow the tunnel. Where it ends is where your rotor needs to be when #1 is at TDC. And the distributor is non adjustable, if it is hard to start but runs you are a tooth off and need to fix it, over advanced will eat a starter pretty quick, and they are a bitch to replace, not that I did that on my 96 ;) Good luck.

And soak hyd. lifters for a day or two before putting in.

Guest Removed

set it at tdc(#1)

then you have to line up the arrow on the rotor, with the mark on the base of the dizzy.

now when you go to drop it in, its going to turn. and the hold down clamp on the dizzy is fixxed. you have to have it where its lined up, onces it all the way down. then crank it, and if it back fires, you didnt do it right..just like when you did it to your car. now just as i learned the last time...is there gas in the tank? you know, i hate to be like this. but maybe its best you do sell the car. and focus on school.

always soak lifters...even if they are solid.

now stop trying to due stuff for money, that you dont have a clue of what your doing. and stop hanging with grandmas boy.

Guest Removed
also are you sure it has fuel pressure? if I'm not mistaken, it needs 60lbs on a gauge, I saw one that read 40 and wouldn't start... just a though...

ive seen then with 58-59, and not start....it needs 60 just to start, and run. and it may not run very well at that.

you have the valves to tight if they are hanging open.....

they need to be lashed properly or the motor will never start

should be directions in the repair manual

I think the later 4.3's (Vortecs) have positive stop rocker studs and there isn't any adjustment. The older TBI and carbed 4.3's have the adjustable rockers.

Edited by TA In Progress
spelling

• 2 weeks later...