Audi S4 buying tips ???

abuseU1300

I am going to give you the best advice ever given by any human in the world.

Stay away from the S4 for many reasons.

1. Parts cost of Audi > All other makes

2. Working on an Audi really sucks

3. Suspension Issues.

You can make them fast but at what cost?

-Your Pal

Fishey

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it unless you wanna have he least hp to money spent on the board.. Besides maint is a biatch on those bad boys.

Suspension parts blow out and your stuck replacing everything else..

Dont do it.

You wanna make a roll car out of it? Why?

Just wanted something different that I could put three car seats in if I had to lol .

So if i get car for $6-$7k put $6k in it to get 600hp , I would be in the same price maintenance range as if I bought a cheap C5 or did a lsx swap rx7 ?

I dont think there is a car out there that is maintenance free , if there is one please point me in the right direction .

A flash = +80hp, +90ft/lbs

or

~$5K for OEM RS4 turbos and custom tune = 600chp

or

~$6K for GT28s + Rods and custom tune = 700+chp

Thats pretty good $/hp if you ask me, especially in a daily driveable 4 door grocery getter.

Maintenance is not that bad, but definitely not worry free. I have been DD'ing mine for 3 years, only maintenance I've done is change the oil and spark plugs. Things I've replaced not counting mods: control arms, tensioner pulley, wheel bearings, after-run coolant pump, clutch pedal switch and CV boots. The car has 134k miles one it.

If you buy one thats not beat to shit and taken care of you will be fine. Some people say that its been a PITA (yet they still have them), while others have had nothing but good luck with them.

I bought this car because I wanted a AWD DD that was nice and not slow. I didnt expect much out of the car, now I love the thing.

thanks for all the info , you have really been helpfull . your car looks very nice ! what turbos are you running and how much hp are you making ?

You can't fit 3 car seats in an S4 backseat, sure three kids/people, but definitely not car seats as the plastics are too wide to fit together and close the door. I've tried.

Just an FYI.

2 are booster seats , i was gonna try it out when I went to look at one .

thanks for all the info , you have really been helpfull . your car looks very nice ! what turbos are you running and how much hp are you making ?

Thanks and no problem. I'm just running RS4 K04's, I put down 452hp,475tq on e85. Maybe sometime down the road I will get rods and get my K04's converted to RS6 K04's or even do GT's, but I'm content with how it is now.

Dont get it tuned anywhere else but at http://www.vastperformance.com/

Thanks and no problem. I'm just running RS4 K04's, I put down 452hp,475tq on e85. Maybe sometime down the road I will get rods and get my K04's converted to RS6 K04's or even do GT's, but I'm content with how it is now.

Dont get it tuned anywhere else but at http://www.vastperformance.com/

Nice #'s !! If I get a S4 I'm thinking the GT's is where its at . How hard was it to convert it to e85?

Nice #'s !! If I get a S4 I'm thinking the GT's is where its at . How hard was it to convert it to e85?

All you would need is a fuel pump, injectors and take it to Vast to tune it for you. I'm running 60# injectors, you would probably need a little bigger for GT28s. They way Vast does theirs is they give you 2 files(up to 3 i think), one for e85 and one for pump, and then If you want a 3rd for valet, or race gas. You switch between the files using your cruise control stalk.

Talk to Prince or Mike at Vast, they have built a few e85 GT cars and will be able to tell you exactly what you need. They know their shit, and are very helpful.

You would basically need:

Turbos

Inlets

Vast fueling kit (injectors, fuel pump, n75 valve, rs4 airbox and MAF housing) and tune

Rods

Fueling kit might be a little differant for GT's.

Oh btw, if you buy a pre 2001.5 car, you would want to upgrade your MAFS from the Bosch to the hitachi(found on the later models). Vast has a kit, and you need to reprogram the gauge cluster. Easy stuff.

VAG-COM is your friend.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

Just wanted something different that I could put three car seats in if I had to lol .

So if i get car for $6-$7k put $6k in it to get 600hp , I would be in the same price maintenance range as if I bought a cheap C5 or did a lsx swap rx7 ?

I dont think there is a car out there that is maintenance free , if there is one please point me in the right direction .

I think that number is lowball cheap for 600hp so I am a bit skeptical when I see that figure. Also, All cars need maintance but nothing on the road that comes to mind is as expensive as a Audi. The S4 2.7TT is also a very expensive motor to maintain. Also have fun working on one without the proper tools. Even if you do have the tools for the timing belt, chain tensioners etc.. It still is alot of labor and putting a set of turbos into the car. You better have the tools to do that because its not a simple job. Then again you could have a shop do it but then you might as well forget about that figure of 6k-7k.

-Your Pal

Fishey

I think that number is lowball cheap for 600hp so I am a bit skeptical when I see that figure. Also, All cars need maintance but nothing on the road that comes to mind is as expensive as a Audi. The S4 2.7TT is also a very expensive motor to maintain. Also have fun working on one without the proper tools. Even if you do have the tools for the timing belt, chain tensioners etc.. It still is alot of labor and putting a set of turbos into the car. You better have the tools to do that because its not a simple job. Then again you could have a shop do it but then you might as well forget about that figure of 6k-7k.

-Your Pal

Fishey

I pulled the motor, did a turbo swap outside in my buddies backyard with basic tools. Could have done the timing belt too, would have been super easy but it was already done. Working on this car is cake.

~$8K will be your total to get it done at a shop, including clutch, flywheel, all hardware, labor, and replacing wheel bearings, TONS of random coolant and power steering hoses, 2 axles, A/C dryer and A/C refill...i'm sure there was more.

I have a receipt to prove it.

K04 turbos with all required hardware = $3k

Vast Performance Tune and Fueling kit = $2K

Total = $5000.

I pulled the motor, did a turbo swap outside in my buddies backyard with basic tools. Could have done the timing belt too, would have been super easy but it was already done. Working on this car is cake.

~$8K will be your total to get it done at a shop, including clutch, flywheel, all hardware, labor, and replacing wheel bearings, TONS of random coolant and power steering hoses, 2 axles, A/C dryer and A/C refill...i'm sure there was more.

Total = $5000.

Buddy, I have been a technican for a long time and have worked countless times on the Audi S4 like yours and they are a pain. First, you couldn't do the timing belt without the camshaft tool and the tensionergaskets (that fail all the time) require on book time 12hours to fix. Now, Obviously if your like me your going to compress the tensioner and work the seals out and clean under them (not an easy task). Also, to even get to that point you need to put the car in "Service position" aka removing the whole front of the car. The control arm failure is extremely common around 100k. MAF sensors on the cars seem to go bad over time on every single one. So your saying parts + tune are 5k and all the labor and parts above are 8K total or about 3k more... Damn, that shop has to be losing money.

-Your Pal

Fishey

Total = $5000.

Thanks again for all the info and links ! you been very helpfull

I plan on checking out a few cars this weekend .

Anything specific i need to look for or check ?

Damn Fishey, you wouldn't think you liked working on cars or something.

Been there done that. Not too bad, really. I've pulled many motors on many things, and I would take a 2.7TT pull over an LT1 pull any day of the week. Maybe not over a 2nd gen or truck motor pull, but a 4th gen F-Body is a PITA. Special tools? You can rent them easily and cheaply. Maintenance? come on. I could knock out all the control arms on an S4 in the time I would still be screwing around with the ball joints on one side of a GM suspension. Plus, the finely engineered Audi front suspension gives awesome steering feel and precision, good articulation, maintains camber and caster through travel, and is strong. I have personally driven a B5 A4 over two curbs, down into a drainage ditch, and right over a manhole cover with NO damage to wheels, suspension, etc. at 35 MPH! Hurt a tire though. And how much does it cost to get your Porsche to 600hp? Yeah, that's what I thought. Now are you going to start shit about parts costs? hahaha.

Thanks again for all the info and links ! you been very helpfull

I plan on checking out a few cars this weekend .

Anything specific i need to look for or check ?

I'm guessing youre not too worried about the condition of the turbos if you are wanting to replace them anyway, but...

Listen for turbo wine, ease of getting the car into gear, especially 2nd and 3rd. Check for oil and coolant leaks. Valve covers and timing covers are common, and the auxiliary coolant pump is also known to start leaking. You will see dried coolant running down the back of the trans, it causes coolant to leak right into the valley and drain out the back of the motor onto the trans. I would also check the rear diff to make sure no leaks there, but thats not very common. Look for torn CV boots, listen for bad wheel bearings...

Pretty standard stuff really.

Been there done that. Not too bad, really. I've pulled many motors on many things, and I would take a 2.7TT pull over an LT1 pull any day of the week. Maybe not over a 2nd gen or truck motor pull, but a 4th gen F-Body is a PITA. Special tools? You can rent them easily and cheaply. Maintenance? come on. I could knock out all the control arms on an S4 in the time I would still be screwing around with the ball joints on one side of a GM suspension. Plus, the finely engineered Audi front suspension gives awesome steering feel and precision, good articulation, maintains camber and caster through travel, and is strong. I have personally driven a B5 A4 over two curbs, down into a drainage ditch, and right over a manhole cover with NO damage to wheels, suspension, etc. at 35 MPH! Hurt a tire though. And how much does it cost to get your Porsche to 600hp? Yeah, that's what I thought. Now are you going to start shit about parts costs? hahaha.

Porsche parts cost < Audi parts cost Not that I have to worry about Porsche parts cost at all with my cars.

Also, I will agree my car isn't cost effective to get to 600hp so thats why you don't see me trying to get 600hp out of my factory motor. I should also mention that I would do GM ball joints now untill forever over the Audi front suspension.

I've pulled the LT1 twice on my Formula, from both the top and the bottom...wasn't all that difficult. I've seen a 2.7TT in an Audi...that looks like a real PITA.

If you drop from the bottom, you don't have to pull a single body panel to pull and LT1. Honestly, it isn't that hard at all. I thought the top wasn't too bad either.

There is no way in flying hell a 2.7TT is even nearly as easy to pull as an LT1. I'd venture to guess even a 1.8T or 2.0T isn't as easy.

I've pulled the LT1 twice on my Formula, from both the top and the bottom...wasn't all that difficult. I've seen a 2.7TT in an Audi...that looks like a real PITA.

If you drop from the bottom, you don't have to pull a single body panel to pull and LT1. Honestly, it isn't that hard at all. I thought the top wasn't too bad either.

There is no way in flying hell a 2.7TT is even nearly as easy to pull as an LT1. I'd venture to guess even a 1.8T or 2.0T isn't as easy.

2.0T / 1.8T = easy, have you looked under the hood ? You got a foot of room on either side. :p

I'm not 100% sure, but there was a white S4 just like in the link that you provided at the auction that I go to this past Tuesday and the car only went for $3600 or so. Also, I don't remember whether it sold or not. I test drove the car and was impressed, making my wish I hadn't spent 9K on a crashed 04 M3. It is a good possibility that it did not sell, therefore it might run through the auction again this upcoming Tuesday. It is a dealer only auction, therefore if you are interested please let me know and I would be more than willing to help you out.

Hey, me too! Seriously, I'd take the 2.7tt over an LT1. Don't knock it until you've tried it. It looks terrible, but no steering gear to take off, exhaust is easy, don't have to jack the car way up in the air... It's much easier than it looks, I promise.

Fishey, you must be spoiled because you haven't lived until you've beaten ball joints and bushings out of GM A-arms with a hammer and railroad tie. BTDT.

Porsche parts cost < Audi parts cost

If that's true I'm buying a Porsche. Seriously. Are we talking similar year here? I can get a 2001 911 control arm for cheaper than a 2001 S4 control arm? Don't bullshit me.

Total = $5000.

:) o rly.... so what your saying is youve got 5k in mods on that car, an your going to get walked by a neon with only 320$ thats three hundred an twenty dollars not thousand lol... oooo gonna be a good season your going down AUDI BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

edi:: im aware this has nothign to do wioth this thread so sorry for the offtopic just thought ide point out the waste of money that has just happened :)

:) o rly.... so what your saying is youve got 5k in mods on that car, an your going to get walked by a neon with only 320$ thats three hundred an twenty dollars not thousand lol... oooo gonna be a good season your going down AUDI BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

edi:: im aware this has nothign to do wioth this thread so sorry for the offtopic just thought ide point out the waste of money that has just happened :)

Some things never change.

Lol, yeah thats right, but your chinabay turbo is going to assplode. Although, I dont think you can get a big enough turbo for that price (even on chinabay) to keep up with the best.

Total = $5000.

Lol, yeah thats right, but your chinabay turbo is going to assplode. Although, I dont think you can get a big enough turbo for that price (even on chinabay) to keep up with the best.

you have much to learn young sonnn 60 trim or 35r will net more more then enough power to keep up :)

also right now im on stock turbo :eek: an im not scared haha get ur new clutch so we can race