AT&T U-verse customers:

AudiOn19s

Is your HD picture quality less than Stellar?

We'vd had Insight for several years. The roadrunner service is great, the Channel selection is outstanding, HD picture quality was as good as I've seen. However I had my gripes. The HD box had horrible lag times and would sometimes completely freeze up for 30+ seconds when you tried to change channels. The limited recording space and ability to only really record one other program unless you're not watching TV at all bothered me.

So we switched to U-Verse when we switched our cellular carrier to AT&T due to the good things I had heard about the fiber optic network, ability to record 4 programs to DVR at the same time, etc.

The service isn't bad despite the fact that I need to choose a different rate for the high speed internet cause it's slow.

However I swear the HD picture quality sucks. Not as crisp as Insight and it's the biggest bother since I really only watch HD TV stations. I double checked all the setup and it's all done right through the HDMI cable.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Andy

I've read that U-Verse is definitely the worst out of the big HD carriers in the Columbus area on an Ohio-specific HD forum. Insight isn't great (I have it) but it's definitely better. Pretty sure the satellite providers have the best pictures available.

not sure, but they had some of their technicians coming door to door in my neighbor hood to inform us of an upgrade they finished 2 months ago. they told me they ran fiber into the neighbor hood.

I told him as soon as they run fiber into my house to I will switch to them. this guy tried to tell me they are running fiber into individuals houses and i just laughed at him. not only is that expensive to do but he didnt know anything he was talking about.

Andy,

Look up previous threads about U-Verse and see what was said before. There's a reason your HD sucks, Internet is slow and your service over-all isn't going to be what it was with Insight.

Most of the positives you heard about AT&T's U-Verse are true, however to a point.

Edit*

Found what I was hoping you'd find: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54418&highlight=uverse

It's my own fault for not being better informed as a consumer. The whole Fiber deal just rang a bell in my head that it's be a clean / fast signal. I should have researched as when I look around it seems like a common issue due to the compression techniques they use. I also told them what service I had when they were comparing rates and it looks like the goal was to quote me a lower price to gain my business...not to actually serve my best interest. Again, I should have been better informed up front.

I actually quite like the cable interface, and it sure does perform well as far as lag times goes, but I'm a stickler for details and the lack of picture quality could be a deal breaker for me.

Might be shopping again soon for a new carrier :(

p.s. I only have a 780p set and can tell the difference. I'm guessing it'd be much more drastic on a 1080p set.

Not really, there is no such thing as a 1080p broadcast

not sure, but they had some of their technicians coming door to door in my neighbor hood to inform us of an upgrade they finished 2 months ago. they told me they ran fiber into the neighbor hood.

I told him as soon as they run fiber into my house to I will switch to them. this guy tried to tell me they are running fiber into individuals houses and i just laughed at him. not only is that expensive to do but he didnt know anything he was talking about.

I get a utter kick out of there sales pitch. Time Warner RR has had fiber to the neighborhoods for a long time.

I had them try to sell me there service and told them I had free service because I work for the cable company. He tried to tell me how they where faster.....

I've seen 25mbit sustained.

I've had Uverse then T/W then Uverse. I can honestly say that the HD feed from T/W is better in overall quality.

Now if you account for the craptastic DVR's provided by T/W (I went through at least 4 in 18 months) then Uverse is best.

I miss being able to hook up any TV to cable and just watch. All Uverse sets require a box @ $$ per month.

I currently have Uverse and have no intention to switch. I'm happy with the service, DSL and VOIP setup.

weve got uverse...good pic w 1080i. plus it beats the hell out of paying for anything related to time warner. TW was terrible...dont get me started on that shit(weve been with att for 2 years and im still bitching about tw)

for the next 6mo weve got uverse on 1 tv, HD channels and 3.0MB/sec for 60 a month.

Is your HD picture quality less than Stellar?

We'vd had Insight for several years. The roadrunner service is great, the Channel selection is outstanding, HD picture quality was as good as I've seen. However I had my gripes. The HD box had horrible lag times and would sometimes completely freeze up for 30+ seconds when you tried to change channels. The limited recording space and ability to only really record one other program unless you're not watching TV at all bothered me.

So we switched to U-Verse when we switched our cellular carrier to AT&T due to the good things I had heard about the fiber optic network, ability to record 4 programs to DVR at the same time, etc.

The service isn't bad despite the fact that I need to choose a different rate for the high speed internet cause it's slow.

However I swear the HD picture quality sucks. Not as crisp as Insight and it's the biggest bother since I really only watch HD TV stations. I double checked all the setup and it's all done right through the HDMI cable.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Andy

We had some low quality pic when we switched....is your blue light on, on your box? if not push menu, scroll right to options, select system options, aspect ration, and hit 1080i.

We had some low quality pic when we switched....is your blue light on, on your box? if not push menu, scroll right to options, select system options, aspect ration, and hit 1080i.

I sincerely hope the box is set to output HD. Though you would know if it wasn't other than the blue light not being on, because standard ded 16:9 broadcasts (on the HD channels) gets letterboxed on the top and bottom.

Uverse sucks.Their dumb ass sales people keep comming to my door trying to tell me that their service is better because they have a new fiber backbone in my area. Well dumbasses your about 5 years late. I have had WOW for the last 3 years and outside of the Cable Express installer falling through the roof of my old house they have been great. I had Insight for 2 years and they were ok but WOW has been the best.

As someone that works for WOW, I have heard tons of horror stories about U-Verse. From 2 day installs (yes, two full days of wiring in the home; I know what they are doing, and it would have taken me about 2 hours), to stuff just not working...we get a LOT of customers that switch back. It is well known their HD is over-compressed, digital breakup when the phone rings...all sorts of goodies. :)

WOW has fiber to the neighborhoods. AT&T try to act like what they are doing is something new. IP TV...yeah, it's called video on demand...cable has been doing it for a while. The difference is they do nothing but IP TV.

If any of you are looking for a new provider, I can give you a decent hook-up with WOW. We don't offer any trial BS offers or other crap like that...our goal is to provide good customer service and a quality product.

for the next 6mo weve got uverse on 1 tv, HD channels and 3.0MB/sec for 60 a month.

Damn how did you swing that?! Im paying 100 for 2 tv's, the "mid-level" internet and no HD channels/pay channels. Though i am about to call and complain, sometimes it freeze's i hate that.

My brother had TW in the apartment im currently living in before i got here. The lag time between channel's was so irritating i dont know how he put up with it for so long. Even after moving to his house in delaware its still a big problem.

Andy Im with you on the interface, i like most things associated with it. However I have yet to really try out any HD channels or hockey games just yet (Im usually not THAT picky when it comes to HD but seeing a hockey game in HD is a HUGE difference). I just bought my 42in plasma (720) a few weeks ago and it looks pretty nice but not "amazing" by any means.

As for Nitrousbird's horror stories on the installs, I can relate. When they finally got around to coming by to install the guy warned me that if he couldnt run the line through the phone jacks (yes thats what he said) he might have to run a new line and hide it under the dasher board of the wall. To be honest I was still half asleep when he was explaining all of this it neither made sense or made me happy i just told him that if it was a shitty install and there were going to be wires everywhere he can pack up his shit and leave. Other than that the install was pretty good :)

Most of your complants would be more problems from the installer then the company you are referring too. If your signal level on your box are below 0 your going to start seeing a lot higher lag time between channels and so on.

I have seen several ATT techs hack the shit out of everything they touch.