NASA? Found this interesting

Clifford Automotive

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a waste of time and money...

Less of a waste of money than moding an S4. :p I can only joke with you about this because trying to have a serious conversation with anyone who's short sighted enough to see space exploration as a 'waste of money' is 'waste of time'.

I'll at least explain why they are trying to find water on the moon.

You need water (usually lots of it compared to whatever you are putting out) to produce things. Things like rocket fuel. Water efficiency in fuel production is actually a pretty big deal even here on earth (some fuels and methods use A LOT more than other). Rocket fuel makes rockets go, in case you were wondering. So we send a rocket up to the moon and use the fuel we've produced there, on a base we have on the moon (which can exist there in part thanks to the water there) to jump off to Mars and beyond. Much easier to get off of the moon than the earth thanks to the 1/8g there, so you use less fuel getting off and more of it getting there (accelerating to get there faster) and back. This is all assuming there is water down in the moon (which hopefully this will help us to find out).

They said you can see this with just an average telescope. I'm game.

http://gizmodo.com/5376774/how-to-watch-the-moon-bombing-in-real-time

They say you need a 10" telescope to see it, which is hardly average. I hear the average is around 6". But hey, maybe your telescope is larger than 10", more power to you. I'm not ashamed to say mine is definitely not, so I'll be watching it on NASA TV.

They do have links on there of places you can watch it. I'm getting up early tomorrow to watch it. I'd give half of my left nut to be at the Cape in 2020 to watch man take off to return to the moon (doing so for the first time in my life).

Space dork out.

Less of a waste of money than moding an S4.

True, but unfortunately for me, I cant use tax payer's money.

I'll at least explain why they are trying to find water on the moon.

I am very aware of why, but perhaps we need to improve our lives here on earth before we try to make it possible to shoot rockets from the moon so that we can mine iron from mars, and eventually have a wonderful oxygen free, freezing cold life there.

The US isnt exactly in great shape right now, so spending an assload of money on this right now is probably not the best thing to do.

This thread is quite stupid.

Anyway, there have been a hell of a lot of highly useful inventions developed and knowledge gained from the space program that has, indeed, improved your life here on earth.

maybe a meteor will hit my truck and i can get it repainted and have my door dings and hail damage repaired!

Act of God. Insurance won't pay you shit.

The US isnt exactly in great shape right now, so spending an assload of money on this right now is probably not the best thing to do.

They aren't wasting an assload of money, they're doing things the bargain-basement way.

Assload of money: Send a drill up to the moon, start drilling, measure everything you find.

Bargain basement: Lob a projectile at it and sniff the cloud.

Guest tbutera2112
This thread is quite stupid.

Anyway, there have been a hell of a lot of highly useful inventions developed and knowledge gained from the space program that has, indeed, improved your life here on earth.

Act of God. Insurance won't pay you shit.

then why do they cover hail damage?

Gonna hard to see the moon from here tomorrow if we are going to get the 2 inches of rain tomorrow folks:

Details for Friday, October 09

Rain...heavy at times. Perhaps a rumble of thunder in the afternoon. High 63F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Rainfall around 2 inches. Locally heavier rainfall possible. Friday night: A steady rain early...then remaining cloudy with a few showers. Low 47F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a half an inch.

Better log on to NasaTV.com

then why do they cover hail damage?

Because hail can be expected. A meteor strike hitting your car/house is so incredibly unlikely that the insurance company will use the defense of "an act of God" to get out of paying the compensation. Insurance works on the premise that circumstances can be estimated with reasonable probability of occurring and thus a premium can be calculated upon that probability. A random-ass meteor hitting your car has such low probability that it is nearly impossible. Impossible to predict = no insurance coverage.

The basic thing to realize is that insurance companies will use what ever reason they can to not pay out.

If you're further interested (probably not): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure

Guest tbutera2112
Because hail can be expected. A meteor strike hitting your car/house is so incredibly unlikely that the insurance company will use the defense of "an act of God" to get out of paying the compensation. Insurance works on the premise that circumstances can be estimated with reasonable probability of occurring and thus a premium can be calculated upon that probability. A random-ass meteor hitting your car has such low probability that it is nearly impossible. Impossible to predict = no insurance coverage.

The basic thing to realize is that insurance companies will use what ever reason they can to not pay out.

If you're further interested (probably not): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure

hmm did not realize this...thanks for the info

People scared of the moon breaking up fro this are f'n hilarious. I guess all those dark spots are a skin condition. :rolleyes: Compared to the countless meteor impacts the moon has endured, a man-made satellite is like a pin prick. And a 5000mph impact is like a flick to the ear.

We need a space program. Whether we fix things environmentally here or not, the resources here are finite. Seven billion people are not sustainable. We NEED to go elsewhere for resources at least, living space eventually. Better to start when we can see the problem coming, then when it is an emergency.

Draco said pretty much what I was about to.

Jesse, I thought that the next planned moon landing, along with the new shuttle program to get us there, was all canceled? I remember being pretty pissed about it, we should be looking for water with people on the surface, not by throwing rocks.

Not likely to be able to see it from Ohio anyway unless somehow it will be bright enough to see in daylight which I'm gonna say it isn't. Another problem of daylight will be the atmospheric turbulence causing a disruption of the image so I'll be impressed if its viewable from here. The west coast should have a good view though.

My scope maintains its full resolution down to 1/2 sq mile of the moons surface so if I thought I could see it I'd have called off work.