I AM GETTING A NEW CAR! which is a better buy???

Guest JCroz91

Guest tbutera2112

modding the piss out of a car you have to drive everyday is a bad decision if you dont have the money to keep fixing it...im modding my 99 but i dont plan on it being reliable, and if it breaks oh well it will just have to sit in the garage until i have money to fix it, i in no way rely on the car or need it running....

but to get back on topic...if you plans to spend all this money, why not just get the 03/04...insurance being higher is gonna be cheaper than modding the shit out of a mach 1 and then snapping the powdered rods in half and rebuilding the whole car

have you even looked at insurance rates? i know a few people who have jumped from a v6 to a cobra and not went up much at all...it depends on the company... and a mach1 vs cobra i doubt there will be any difference at all, both are special editions

hell my insurance company only has "mustang" as the category, i was told it doesnt matter if i have a v6 or a cobra, i will be paying the same rates...just something to think about, before assuming insurance will be too high, you should look into it first

get a stock cobra, and leave it stock for awhile...it will make plenty of power and still be reliable...im a big believer on leaving dailys stock...exhaust intake whatever, but pulleys, sc swap, tune, 1000+hp on stock bottom end, etc etc etc is just dumb for a car that youre gonna need to get to work everyday

rates for my 99 gt vs an 01 cobra i was looking at buying were about $200 apart for a 6 month period....my car is cheap to insure because its rebuilt title, so i get a discount because its only worth 50% of book

i had a quote from a 99 gt with 80k miles clean title, and an 01 cobra with 90k miles and a clean title, and they were almost identical...the cobra was a few bucks more because it was red and the gt was silver, and the cobra was 2 years newer, but if you broke it down, it was about 20 bucks more per month

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

modding the piss out of a car you have to drive everyday is a bad decision if you dont have the money to keep fixing it...im modding my 99 but i dont plan on it being reliable, and if it breaks oh well it will just have to sit in the garage until i have money to fix it, i in no way rely on the car or need it running....

but to get back on topic...if you plans to spend all this money, why not just get the 03/04...insurance being higher is gonna be cheaper than modding the shit out of a mach 1 and then snapping the powdered rods in half and rebuilding the whole car

have you even looked at insurance rates? i know a few people who have jumped from a v6 to a cobra and not went up much at all...it depends on the company... and a mach1 vs cobra i doubt there will be any difference at all, both are special editions

hell my insurance company only has "mustang" as the category, i was told it doesnt matter if i have a v6 or a cobra, i will be paying the same rates...just something to think about, before assuming insurance will be too high, you should look into it first

get a stock cobra, and leave it stock for awhile...it will make plenty of power and still be reliable...im a big believer on leaving dailys stock...exhaust intake whatever, but pulleys, sc swap, tune, 1000+hp on stock bottom end, etc etc etc is just dumb for a car that youre gonna need to get to work everyday

saw your pile over at robs. whats all going on with that? PM me so i dont jack this kids ghey thread..

Guest JCroz91

rates for my 99 gt vs an 01 cobra i was looking at buying were about $200 apart for a 6 month period....my car is cheap to insure because its rebuilt title, so i get a discount because its only worth 50% of book

i had a quote from a 99 gt with 80k miles clean title, and an 01 cobra with 90k miles and a clean title, and they were almost identical...the cobra was a few bucks more because it was red and the gt was silver, and the cobra was 2 years newer, but if you broke it down, it was about 20 bucks more per month

well for 1... like i said earlier its not going to be my DD, ill have a beater car to dirve around. 2... why spend 20,000 on a cobra and pay higher insurance rates than pay 10,000 for a GT and another 3,000 ish to build it. which would hold up to more power than a cobra. if i bought a cobra i would be so far in debt i wouldnt be able to afford to mod the car for years.

Guest JCroz91

WOW.... just called our insurance guy.

prices are REDICULUS!!!!!!!!!

03 Mach 1 (full coverage) = $14,000 a year

(Liability up to $10k) $5,085 a year which is 450 something a month

03 Mustang GT (liablilty) = $5,000 a year = $400 a month.

so a lot of you guys were right at insureance doesnt flucuate much between the two. but im not willing to pay either. looks like im doing a V8 swap.

so a lot of you guys were right at insureance doesnt flucuate much between the two. but im not willing to pay either. looks like im doing a V8 swap.

Who did you kill while driving drunk to get those rates? Jesus.

Your driving record must be worse than Ted Kennedy's. Maybe you're better off with a Ford Focus.

just curious, what insurance company are you getting quotes from?

And have you ever done that progressive online quote thing? I have done it for many cars before I look at them, and then again for whatever car I do end up buying and it has been spot on every time. For motorcyles, cars and boats, what they quoted me in the little online thing has been my price, and once you do it on their website once, you don't have to enter in your info each time, just change the vehicle and the requote a different price. Definitely helpful in comparing insurance prices.

And here are my results of the progressive quote thing online, took me less than a minute...

Just for reference....

I have full coverage, $300CSL body injury/$300kCSL uninsured/$10k medical payments, and $100 deductibles for comp and collision, so definitely not the minimum, actually pretty high compared to most, but I prefer to have extra just in case. Your rates may vary, especially if you have lower coverage, which is normal

I currently pay $386/6months on my GTP

I got quoted these numbers...

2003 GT - $764 per 6 months

2003 Cobra - $1227 per 6 months

2003 Mach 1 - $873 per 6 months

So you can see there isn't much of a difference between the GT and Mach1 on insurance, but the Cobra is $500/6moths more expensive, which is nearly $100 more per month.

On the flipside, if for some stupid reason you wanted to put liability/minimum coverage only on these cars....

2003 GT - $166 per 6 months

2003 Cobra - $187 per 6 months

2003 Mach 1 - $166 per 6 months

Again, I don't recommend it, but this was mainly to show you how easy to use the Progressive online thing is, and like I said, it's been dead on for me the past 4 years.

Guest tbutera2112
And here are my results of the progressive quote thing online, took me less than a minute...

Just for reference....

I have full coverage, $300CSL body injury/$300kCSL uninsured/$10k medical payments, and $100 deductibles for comp and collision, so definitely not the minimum, actually pretty high compared to most, but I prefer to have extra just in case. Your rates may vary, especially if you have lower coverage, which is normal

I currently pay $386/6months on my GTP

I got quoted these numbers...

2003 GT - $764 per 6 months

2003 Cobra - $1227 per 6 months

2003 Mach 1 - $873 per 6 months

So you can see there isn't much of a difference between the GT and Mach1 on insurance, but the Cobra is $500/6moths more expensive, which is nearly $100 more per month.

On the flipside, if for some stupid reason you wanted to put liability/minimum coverage only on these cars....

2003 GT - $166 per 6 months

2003 Cobra - $187 per 6 months

2003 Mach 1 - $166 per 6 months

Again, I don't recommend it, but this was mainly to show you how easy to use the Progressive online thing is, and like I said, it's been dead on for me the past 4 years.

dude....did you miss the part about him having an sr22...its only been mentioned about 29 times in this thread, i do understand how you could get mistaken though

i wish... insurance is too high.

im on an sr22 bond cause of my points. i pay $1700 a year now for liability on the sixxer

quoted $328 a month on a gt.

sr22 bond falls off in 2012 which will drop my rates a lot

tyler i didnt miss the point about him having an SR22, but since I was never stupid enough to need one I have no clue what all it entails, mainly why he can't chose his insurer? I'm assuming you can just chose your insurance company and tell them of the SR22 and they make the adjustments to cost, no biggie. I was merely showing him an easy way to get quotes.

What is your goal with your "fast car"? You will never be the fastest guy in town if you are on a budget, So what is your goal? You said over on bs I think that with your currant setup that pretty close to 400whp is doable. Well 400whp is a tic less that Derick's blown mach1 made that went low 12's high 11's I think (someone chime in with his best I forget) Why not do this take the sixer to its max minus a tic to keep it together (gonna be way cheaper than a swap and WAY cooler) then take some of the money and pay some rent to your parents (things are tight in this econ. I am sure they whould not mind) take a little more and start a savings account for a appartment/house (one day soon the switch will flip and you will give anything to be out ) and then go apply to school and pay cash and not have loans that will haunt you after you leave school.

Ps. Fast cars are cooler if you build it than buy it, Cooler yet if you kick ass with less cubes

Guest JCroz91
is that a joke?

if it isnt.....no a mach 1 isnt a high horsepower car....its a civic to me. A high horsepower car is 550+ to me.

oh shit ur sweet.:cool:

for a stock car its decently fast. the only cars your going to see for 550rwhp stock at going to be $50k.

:gtfo: