6 versus 8: Lincoln MKS ecoboost(same as SHO) vs competition

Aaron

Ford has been pushing the Ecoboost HARD and this is just another one of their ridiculous marketing schemes. They try to hide the bias because its set up by Automobile and Motor Trend Mag guys. It pits the Ecoboost MKS vs a BMW 550, Mercedes E550, Jag XF(5.0 n/a) and Maserati Quattroporte.

Its supposed to show that the Ecoboost has the power of the V8 with the gas mileage of the V6. Essentially trying to bring to light how great turbocharging and direct injection are together. They do the test at 12,000 feet elevation lol, and guess what car is the ONLY one with F/I. You guessed it, the MKS.

At 5k feet, a N/A engine produces 80% of peak power, imagine what 12k feet is like. F/I lessens the power loss significantly, but not entirely.

This test is laughable. Also, direct injection and turbocharging have been used by many manufacturers for over 6 years lol.

http://www.6versus8.com/speedchannelvideo/video16/index.html

I agree....fucked up test. I'd like to see them put the pig on a real road course at a normal elevation and run that same round of cars with it. Completely different outcome I bet.

At regular elevations, the SHO ran a 13.7@103 I think from C&D, which is the fastest recorded so far. I used Edmunds for the rest of the competition, and the SHO was right in the middle of the pack for ET, and dead last in trap speed.

I thought it was funny that they rigged the test, and it still didn't win.

A front heavy, AWD 4300lb monster, on a road course? lol :bs:

At regular elevations, the SHO ran a 13.7@103 I think from C&D, which is the fastest recorded so far. I used Edmunds for the rest of the competition, and the SHO was right in the middle of the pack for ET, and dead last in trap speed.

I thought it was funny that they rigged the test, and it still didn't win.

A front heavy, AWD 4300lb monster, on a road course? lol :bs:

13.7-14.3's are what I've seen it at too. Funny, the MS3's do the same. :cool:

This is Ford's first REAL step in the performance sedan market. Not a bad start when you consider the competition. Before the SHO was nothing more than a family car that would possibly get a tickle out of someone. So far, the new SHO has the Germans a little scared from what it seems.

Not exactly. In 1989 it was the second fastest sedan in the world, trailing the M5. It had an engine that redlined at 7k+, had 220hp, and a manual transmission. In 89, that was exotic car stats. The 89 Corvette ran a mid 14, which is exactly what some of the fastest stock Gen 1's ran. It helped open the door to affordable sport sedans. It was more than you give it credit for until the 96 restyle.

Ford had quite the hiatus with the SHO though. Not a bad first impression when compared to the German market, that's been doing it for some time now. It's no AMG or M-series, nor anything from the Audi camp, but not bad considering who made it. This is one reason Ford will continue thriving in the car market.

Ford had quite the hiatus with the SHO though. Not a bad first impression when compared to the German market, that's been doing it for some time now. It's no AMG or M-series, nor anything from the Audi camp, but not bad considering who made it. This is one reason Ford will continue thriving in the car market.

Looks like they are leaping over the new TL / RL.

Drove a nice regular loaded up 2010 this week with a coworker. This new Taurus is nicer than some Lincolns from just a couple years ago.

Still can't see paying $43k for an SHO though.

In that other thread with a tune and a bolt on, the SHO ran a 12.75. But again, I'm not spending 43k on a Taurus, if I was going to spend anywhere near that on a ford it would be a Shelby. Or a used 03 cobra plus twins.

I agree $43K is a bit steep for a Taurus. If it were in the low 30's, it would deffinately attract a LOT more customers their way.

In that other thread with a tune and a bolt on, the SHO ran a 12.75. But again, I'm not spending 43k on a Taurus, if I was going to spend anywhere near that on a ford it would be a Shelby. Or a used 03 cobra plus twins.

I agree $43K is a bit steep for a Taurus. If it were in the low 30's, it would deffinately attract a LOT more customers their way.

They top out at 46k, not 43k. It does come with quite a bit of options, but the interior still doesn't match the German's in materials and feel, it does in look and options though. However the cabin is much too small for the size of car it is. The drivers seat would not go back far enough for me to get comfortable. The bach seat was also tight as well.

I think this drivetrain in the Fusion with a Manual transmission would sell (and perform) like crazy if it topped out at 36-38k. If you can get a 4300lb car to do high 13's stock, knocking 500lbs off easily gets you into low 13's, maybe high 12's. Thats E9X/RS4 territory. However like everyone said, they won't because then it would be GT 500 performance for 10k less.

Ford needs to start cutting weight before all of the German's do, and they again are left holding their dicks. The next gen S4/M3's are said to be significantly less weight. Audi just released their lightweight prototype A5 which is something like 500lbs lighter than the current model, and an indication of their direction to come (lighter weight, smaller engines=better performance and mileage).

Cool car, maybe a good buy in 2 years as a CPO for 20-25k.

Ford has been pushing the Ecoboost HARD and this is just another one of their ridiculous marketing schemes. They try to hide the bias because its set up by Automobile and Motor Trend Mag guys. It pits the Ecoboost MKS vs a BMW 550, Mercedes E550, Jag XF(5.0 n/a) and Maserati Quattroporte.

Its supposed to show that the Ecoboost has the power of the V8 with the gas mileage of the V6. Essentially trying to bring to light how great turbocharging and direct injection are together. They do the test at 12,000 feet elevation lol, and guess what car is the ONLY one with F/I. You guessed it, the MKS.

At 5k feet, a N/A engine produces 80% of peak power, imagine what 12k feet is like. F/I lessens the power loss significantly, but not entirely.

This test is laughable. Also, direct injection and turbocharging have been used by many manufacturers for over 6 years lol.

http://www.6versus8.com/speedchannelvideo/video16/index.html

cry me a river. i must say the 'burn out the day' ecoboost commercial for the lincoln mkz is one of the better car commercials i've seen in a while.

this is a huge step in the right direction for ford. the car is absolutely loaded with amenities, power, technology, and looks (subjective).

i usually don't bitch about cars i can't afford--i wish everyone followed this principle