computer help needed 7.0

wnaplay1647545503

Last week my router(linksys) took a shit and stopped working. I then could not get my computer to come back on line. However I was able to directly connect my laptop to my modem and it worked fine. I was able to get my computer back up and everything appears normal. However now I try to hook up the line from my modem to my computer instead of my laptop and I cannot get internet service. I believe it states there is no dial tone. My provider is sbc. Any thoughts or ideas to try? Any issues I would have by no longer having my router hooked up?

I just dont see why when I disconnect it from my laptop it doesnt work on my computer. I am switching between the 2 and on the laptop it connects as soon as its plugged in but on the computer I cant get it to do shit. I tried to manually make a new connection but it either states there is no dial tone or that the line is busy. I am thinking something may have gotten fucked up because my router is done for and now this.

You may have a regular telephone modem in your desktop, make sure you are not selecting that as your network connection. That is one of the few things I can think that would register "no dial tone". Also, another difference between your laptop and your desktop could be the laptop has the login information for your ISP saved while the desktop does not. I have seen that when someone uses one system to configure the modem during the initial setup. Hope this helps.

broadband modems only like to have 1 connection to it at time. A PC or a Router would be one device. Unplugging the power wire from your modem for at least 2-3 minutes should make it forget what was connected to it. try power off then hook it up to a new device.