Should we buy a DLP TV, or is that tech just on the way out?

Nitrousbird

My wife and I have been looking to get another TV.

Our primary TV is a Sony 50" LCD Rear-Projection TV. Our complaints are that it is too small, and high-def doesn't look as stellar as we would like...since we watch a lot of HD and Blu Ray, this is a concern (the TV is a 720p unit). Our bedroom TV is my 57" Sony CRT rear-projection HD (225lb monster). Since my wife wants to create a workout room in the basement, I figured we could move the 57" down there, put the 50" in the bedroom, and get a monster for the living room (when we finish the basement, I'll do a projector, but that's a whole other animal).

Now the problem...we want to go big. Our living room is big, with very high vaulted ceilings. Our 50" looks tiny in there. We had vaulted ceilings in our condo (though not at high), and the 50" looked big. Now, it looks like a joke, and people are always amazed it is a 50". We want to go 65"+

LCD's over 50" are very expensive. Plasmas are as well, but not as bad at that size point. But Plasmas have another issue - glossy screens. We have a lot of windows, which aren't appropriate to put blinds/curtains on, so glossy screens just won't work.

DLP seems to be the answer, but we are concerned it is on its way out. I have one buddy with a 60" Mitsubushi DLP (last years model), and another with a 67" Samsung LED DLP (Samsung got out of the DLP market this year, only Mitsu remains).

HH Gregg has this years 65" for only $1329...that's $170 cheaper than I could find it online anywhere.

Cheapest 55" LCD (which IMO is still too small for the room) was $1450ish. Cheapest 65" LCD...a whopping $4250. No. I still want to look at the new Plasmas with the

anti-glare feature, but I am betting they still have some noticable glare (plus will still be 2x the price).

Overall - is is stupid to buy a DLP TV at this point?

I love my 42" Samsung DLP as well. I don't think DLP is on its way out...hell look at the new LED DLPs.

I might have to put on my flame suit after this but. I am not a fan of the Plasmas. The limited life is a turn off. Also, I have been witness of burn in after only 20-30 minutes of playing guitar hero.

LCDs, if you have a pixel go out, you are F'd. Also can be a problem with burn in, not as bad as plasma.

I love my 42" Samsung DLP as well. I don't think DLP is on its way out...hell look at the new LED DLPs.

I would look at the "new" LED DLP's, except they don't make them anymore. Samsung got out of the DLP market. Mitsubushi is the only DLP maker as well. 2008 was the last year for Samsung DLP models.

I've spent plenty of time in front of DLP's (well, at least big ones that I'm interested in), and I like how they look. But I'm worried we would buy a technology that's on its way out, like how our LCD rear-projection is no longer made.

As for Plasmas; new ones have expected lives of 100,000 hours - 11.42 years of use. I doubt I'd have the TV 11 years from now, and obviously wouldn't play it 24/7 at that. As for burn-in, most new models are far less prone to it, especially if you "break-in" the TV properly (no letterboxes the first 100 hours of use, and keeping the contrast below 50% during that time). That's not my concern...the reflective screen is.

I'd totally go for LCD if it wasn't for the price for big ones being insane. I did find a 65" Panasonic Plasma for $2350 shipped with a supposed anti-glare technology that's worth taking a look at. Having a wall-mounted TV would be sweet, but at 1k more, may not be worth it.

LCDs, if you have a pixel go out, you are F'd. Also can be a problem with burn in, not as bad as plasma.

LCD's can't burn in - period. Neither will DLP's or LED.

I would say lcd good for a room with lots of light dlp has may have moving parts that so not so great down the road but less expensive per square inch now.

Have you seen a Vizio 47 inch lcd? its a great panel and you will like the price compared to Sony,I have a 37'' in the bedroom that is 3 years old and it has been stellar.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11486942&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341&N=4001374&Mo=51&No=9&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2341&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C

I would say lcd good for a room with lots of light dlp has may have moving parts that so not so great down the road but less expensive per square inch now.

Have you seen a Vizio 47 inch lcd? its a great panel and you will like the price compared to Sony,I have a 37'' in the bedroom that is 3 years old and it has been stellar.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11486942&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341&N=4001374&Mo=51&No=9&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2341&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C

47" is a joke. Our 50" is too small. My wife were walking around Best Buy in Polaris laughing about how you can't buy a big TV there at all; somehow 42-50" is now the big TV. Very odd, since even in the mid 90's, getting a 50" 4:3 TV wasn't uncommon (which takes a 60" 16:9 to get the same 4:3 viewing area).

Retailers love the idea of these small TV's, as they can stock a million of them easily.

47" is a joke. Our 50" is too small. My wife were walking around Best Buy in Polaris laughing about how you can't buy a big TV there at all; somehow 42-50" is now the big TV. Very odd, since even in the mid 90's, getting a 50" 4:3 TV wasn't uncommon (which takes a 60" 16:9 to get the same 4:3 viewing area).

Retailers love the idea of these small TV's, as they can stock a million of them easily.

Amen to that. Friday I went to the same Best Buy and also looked at hh gregg. Even in the 50" sizes, each had a display of what I wanted, but had none in stock. Although both had decent prices on what I wanted (Panny TC P50G15), their prices on the peripheral Bluray player, connectors, stand, were all way high compared to buying at Amazon. I'm leaning toward just getting it all through Amazon.

I would look at the "new" LED DLP's, except they don't make them anymore. Samsung got out of the DLP market. Mitsubushi is the only DLP maker as well. 2008 was the last year for Samsung DLP models.

I just had a sad :(

I loved the image of the Samsung compared to all of the others.

I hope this things lasts forever! :D

KillJoy

I love my 56" Samsung DLP but yes they are on there way out. Really everything is on its way out IMO. The new wave is the LED displays. 55" and only an inch or two thin. Last forever, uses no power, and has perfect 5 mil to 1 contrast ratio. (True Black)

My parent's 55" LCD looks perfect in their 28'x28' family room with 22' ceiling and like 100 windows. He looked at DLP projection, but with all the windows and the brightness of the room, they got an LCD screen due to glare.

I have a 46" DLP Samsung That I bought 4 years ago. After the second year the TVs fan would kick on and shut back down constantly. All day and all night everday. About the same time this happened it started making a humming noise when it was on. It needed the bulb replaced. I replaced it with a phillips replacement bulb for $125 which stopped the humming .

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago. The TVs fan still kick on and off on its own and the humming started again. I bought another bulbfor 115 thistime and replaced it again. The humming didnt go away this time and yesterday the TV stopped working all together. It will not cut on.

So I went and bought a 46" LCD Samsung last night and got it set up.

The picture quality in HD was better with my DLP than the LCD I got last night but I am very happy with the new TV.

Im going to hang on to my DLP until I get a couple extra bucks to get it fixed if its possible..After reading online over the past couple days about DLP problems I will never go DLP again...

What does it matter if DLP is on it's way out? If it offers the size, features, and picture quality you want at a price you can afford get it. I also have last years mitsu 60" DLP and love it.

Re-sale is always important.

We thought the primary TV would be the 50" Sony for years to come...it's not. And we would sell it, but the re-sale just isn't there.

My worry is 4 years from now, it won't be worth jack squat. My 57" was $2400 in 2003. Now I'd be happy to get $400. The 50" was about $1500 3 years ago, now worth about 600-700. Yet if the technology is still current, the values will stay high.

what about a projector?

A projector in anything but a dark room looks like washed out ass. Will do one in the basement when we finish it, but that's the only place I will ever have one.

A projector in anything but a dark room looks like washed out ass. Will do one in the basement when we finish it, but that's the only place I will ever have one.

X2, I have a projector in a dedicated theater room and its fantastic in a controlled environment, but I wouldn't want one in the living room.

My buddy just bought a 60" DLP and the picture is great after a decent, amateur calibration. For the $899 he paid it hardly matters what the resale value will be in four or five years. At only 15 inches deep it definitely saved spaced compared to his old CRT rear-projection set too.

im too lazy to read thru the post. i dont know what your price range is, but im pretty sure last time i was at HHGregg, they had the new mitsubishi 83" rear projection LCD w/ DLP. ive seen your living room, and i dont think you'll like a 65". i bought the 60" last year (wd-60735), and in my 1/2 basement/family room, its probably 22-24' long, 14' wide, and i have the viewing across the long end, and the TV almost looks small.

im waiting for my buddy to sell his 73" model of the same tv so i can put it in my basement and have a better viewing.

as for the picture, im happy with it, and blu-rays look good

Re-sale is always important.

We thought the primary TV would be the 50" Sony for years to come...it's not. And we would sell it, but the re-sale just isn't there.

My worry is 4 years from now, it won't be worth jack squat. My 57" was $2400 in 2003. Now I'd be happy to get $400. The 50" was about $1500 3 years ago, now worth about 600-700. Yet if the technology is still current, the values will stay high.

LOL, you think electronics have resale value. ANY electronic you buy will be obsolete within a few months. If you buy a LCD, next year they'll release TVs with twice the refresh rate and contrast. You'll see your TV on a Black Friday special for $900. If you buy a Plasma... well I've read that Plasma is going the way of the dinosaur also.

Just get what fits your wants/needs/wallet at the particular time you're ready to buy. If you wait for the latest/greatest/newest-tech-ist device you'll be waiting forever.

Edit: When I bought my Mitsu DLP I looked at several 50-55" LCDs at the $1,000 price point. The DLP offered better picture and more screen size at a lower cost. I chose what suited my needs at the best value.