Anybody want a new Toyota or Lexus.

Benner

Guest tbutera2112

in the article, it says the guy was using a loaner car from a dealership...his lexus was in for service and they gave him that one to drive around

it had a push button start, and the only way to shut it off is to hold the button for 3 seconds

could be different than what he was used to, and at 120mph during heavy traffic, im sure he probably panicked....i dont imagine they made it very far in traffic at those speeds before the car wrecked

The vehicle driven by Saylor had a rubber floor mat, but Toyota said it was for a different model of Lexus.

GG.

I got really pissed when they said this was Toyota's Firestone.. BUT THE FUCKERS HAD THE WRONG FLOORMATS IN THE CAR.

idiots.

Panic cause most people to think irrationally.

I had a throttle stick in a car that wasn't mine before. First thing I did was throw it into neutral.

Maybe we need better driver's ed in this country.

I had a throttle stick in a car that wasn't mine before. First thing I did was throw it into neutral.

Maybe we need better driver's ed in this country.

I've had my dad's highlander floormats get stuck on the gas pedal and I was smart enough to flick it into neutral, too.

this happened to me when i was working at the dealership. i was on my way back from the gas station in a brand new cx9 mazda thing and was coming up on a stop sign and the car just fuckin took off. I was freaking out and went to put it in neutral but slammed it into park....it stopped needless to say, it may have damaged the tranny i dont know and dont care, because im alive.

This guy should have dont the same, jam it into park if you dont know what else to do. i assure you it will stop.

Guest tbutera2112

the driver was an officer trained in high speed maneuvering

he should have known what to do, just as much as the 911 operator

still doesnt change the fact that people sometimes panic and dont think straight

i doubt the operator was trained for that, because i doubt they get calls everyday about a car that wont stop

if my car wasnt stopping, calling 911 would be the last thing on my mind

this happened to me when i was working at the dealership. i was on my way back from the gas station in a brand new cx9 mazda thing and was coming up on a stop sign and the car just fuckin took off. I was freaking out and went to put it in neutral but slammed it into park....it stopped needless to say, it may have damaged the tranny i dont know and dont care, because im alive.

This guy should have dont the same, jam it into park if you dont know what else to do. i assure you it will stop.

well at 120mph, that stop wouldn't have been a good outcome either.......

the driver was an officer trained in high speed maneuvering

he should have known what to do, just as much as the 911 operator

still doesnt change the fact that people sometimes panic and dont think straight

i doubt the operator was trained for that, because i doubt they get calls everyday about a car that wont stop

if my car wasnt stopping, calling 911 would be the last thing on my mind

At 120 miles an hour, the last thing I'd do is make a fucking phone call.. it would make more sense to me, at least, to try and turn the car off and disable the drive.

What I am trying to figer out is after he passed about 80 and did not do it on purpose why he also would not have thrown it into neutral??

better yet where was onstar at to turn the car off??? jk

I wish we could find out what he expected 911 to do anyway.. Do you think they were really going to be able to do somethingf or you??

At 120 miles an hour, the last thing I'd do is make a fucking phone call.. it would make more sense to me, at least, to try and turn the car off and disable the drive.

no shit... i understanf thinking irrationally and all that blahh, i dont see how most could forget to throw it in park or something..

whats done is done. sad to hear

Panic cause most people to think irrationally.

But he still had enough sense to call 911? May have been panicking but use common sense, something needed to be done to disable the car and getting on your cell phone is about the last thing thats going to do that, I dont care if you called fucking Obama, there are plenty of other things he could have tried that would have been better, pop it in neutral, lightly apply E-brake, gently put it againts the wall, throw the fucking RF fob out the window, ANYTHING other than get out the phone and call someone.

it says that at those speeds he would have burnt his brakes up within seconds, so those are worthless. It also said the shifter for the transmission does not enable shifting to N or P while traveling foreward. Ironically, this is a "sefety" feature. He did have to hold the start button for three seconds, but who really asks 'How do I shut it down in an emergency sit.?' Noone. It was a manual-like shifter, so the only way I could think to stop this thing is to 'downshift' with the auto-manual selecter. That is really, really unfortunate though.

it says that at those speeds he would have burnt his brakes up within seconds, so those are worthless. It also said the shifter for the transmission does not enable shifting to N or P while traveling foreward. Ironically, this is a "sefety" feature.

That's not what it says, nor what it does. My dad's Lexus has the same type of shifter. A lot of people just get confused where neutral is, not that you can't go into it.

He did have to hold the start button for three seconds, but who really asks 'How do I shut it down in an emergency sit.?' Noone.

I did. That's the first thing I asked before even driving the car off the lot. I found out what happens if I press it while driving and if the vehicle will shut off and or slow down if I turn it off and how to do it.... and it will slow down acting more like a downshift slows the vehicle down.

An emergency shut off button shouldn't take 3 seconds to turn the car off. If you have a magical button to turn on a car with no key there should be a button right next to it to turn off the car. 1 button press not press and hold for 3 seconds.