Carpet (home) issues/questions

Smokey

My wife and I are fostering a dog for the organization that we got our own dog from. She’s been having some “marking” issues and has destroyed one spot in our carpet 3 times by peeing on it. Obviously the scrubbing I’ve done is not enough to remove the scent that leads her there. I myself can smell it when I put my nose down there, and she’s continued to bomb that place.

***BEHAVIOR ISSUES ASIDE***

What can I do about the carpet/padding? There are not any stains on the carpet because I blotted up the mess and scrubbed after each time, but it seems pretty obvious to my nose that something has pissed there. Can I patch the carpet there? If the appearance of the carpet is fine, can I just pull it up and replace the pad below it? I’ll be dead honest I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to this stuff.

I have never used it, but they make some spray stuff that is supposed to repel dogs from marking the same spot. Obviously removing the smell altogether would be better than masking it somehow, but maybe that would help... or cause the dog o just mark somewhere else.

Edit: Something like this, although I have seen others:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3130863#prodTab1

Sorry, forgot to mention some of the things I've already done.

We got our own dog as a puppy so had to deal with small accidents. I actually used a different Nature's Miracle product that is supposed to be a cleaner as well as remove the scent so that the dog won't be tempted to go there again. I suppose I'll have to look into the other stuff as well.

I also used baking soda. I scrubbed with woolite/water mix and a nylon brush. All of these have kept the carpet from staining (other than it's plainly obvious where I've been scrubbing it) but I believe the smell is now down in the pad which is my main problem here. It's not bad enough that my whole place stinks like piss, but it's enough that if I shove my nose down there I can smell it, so I guarantee the dog can smell it a mile away. How do I deal with the pad issue?

remove and replace...

so...that brings me back to my original question. Can you reasonably do a patch? Will it ultimatley look like crap and piss me off? Can I just pull up the carpet (which looks ok visually) and just replace the pad below it?

Can you reasonably do a patch? Will it ultimatley look like crap and piss me off?

No, and Yes

Can I just pull up the carpet (which looks ok visually) and just replace the pad below it?

Yes, but you want to make sure the sub-flooring is not stained/wet. If so you will need to get some Killz and seal it. Then you will need to steam clean the section and use some pet odor neutralizer, and then there is still a chance of odor, or any dog marking that area.

I had a cat destroy an entire room's carpeting due to Diabetes. I even had to replace the moldings...

If the carpet is not a problem, them i'd pull the carpet back and cut out the area of pad that is affected and replace. If the stains have soaked into the subfloor then you do alittle cleanup with some bleach/water with a scrub brush, dont over do it. Then let it dry out good and paint the floor with Kilz.

You can patch the carpet but a patch is a patch more than likely its out in the room so a 4 sided patch would be needed. You'll see the patch no getting around it. it's an unworn piece next to a worn piece so color and traffic will show.

Is it a plush carpet or berber?

Have any other questions just let me know.

You could cut it out in a sized sqaure and then randomly cut out the same square all around the room and then pick a color carpet that looks good with original carpet. It might look kida fashionable. Ive seen tile floors in custom home that were set up like that and looked pretty good...

Thanks for the help guys. If I end up replacing the pad, how do I need to secure down the new patch? Aren't staples normally used? Is it going to be obvious where they are if it's out in the normal area of traffic?

Yep just use a type of staple to secure to floor. You'll never notice the stables just dont want any bumps or anything.

You need to find something that has the enzymes to break down the urine. You can find a bunch of this stuff at any pet store. Spray it liberally and then lay a damp cloth over it for 24 hrs. Dont scrub it or dab it up. Just srpay it, cover it and let it sit. This gives the enzymes time to break the urine down all the way to the pad.

You need to find something that has the enzymes to break down the urine. You can find a bunch of this stuff at any pet store. Spray it liberally and then lay a damp cloth over it for 24 hrs. Dont scrub it or dab it up. Just srpay it, cover it and let it sit. This gives the enzymes time to break the urine down all the way to the pad.

doing that currently, but I don't really think it's a long-term solution in this case. I just think it'll keep the place from stinking like hell.

doing that currently, but I don't really think it's a long-term solution in this case. I just think it'll keep the place from stinking like hell.

Outside of replacing or patching the carpet this is the best solution. I guess it depends if your gonna have more pets or foster anymore dogs.