iPhone Verizon hopefuls your hope is no more. Wait New Hope! 11/6/2009

SpaceGhost

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/19/verizon-goes-on-offensive-against-iphone-again-with-droid-does-teasers/

Just weeks after attacking AT&T's 3G network and indirectly the iPhone with a "There's a map for that" ad campaign, Verizon has rolled out a new campaign for a yet-to-be-introduced device from Motorola known as the "Droid", focusing on what it perceives as deficiencies in the iPhone. The new television commercial, introduced yesterday, features iPhone-like fonts and music listing things the iPhone "doesn't do" and ends with a teaser asking users to sign up at DroidDoes.com for more information.

While no official information on the device has been made available, Boy Genius Report publishes a brief hands-on preview of the Droid and calls it "the Android device to beat, and easily the most impressive." Google reportedly played a major role in the design of the Droid, "almost dictating every move Motorola made when designing and making the phone."

The Droid runs Android 2.0 with reportedly excellent performance, and offers both a large capacitive touchscreen and a slide-out physical keyboard. The report also notes that it is the thinnest slider phone in memory, only slightly thicker than the iPhone, and that the device will come with a cradle/charging station that turns it into a "multimedia station" while docked.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/10/19/101944-motorola_droid_500.jpg

As The New York Times notes, Verizon's increasingly aggressive commercials focusing on the iPhone make it hard to believe that the company will begin offering the iPhone any time in the near future, despite the fact that Apple and Verizon have reportedly been in discussions about bringing the iPhone to Verizon when AT&T's exclusivity arrangement apparently expires next year.

This nasty name-calling does not bode well for the prospects of the iPhone coming to Verizon in 2010, talks for which were said to have begun earlier this year.

Steve Jobs, Apple's chief, has a notoriously long memory, and Ivan Seidenberg, chief executive of Verizon, must know this. So it seems the companies are settling in to their status as long-term rivals.

Edited by Benjamin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangit, my bubble has been popped now! I didn't read the article, but any chance this phone won't be $400 with the damn upgrade will it? (can get the iPhone for $99 with upgrade now) No matter really though, I won't buy this phone immediately until all the bugs are worked out of it.

As far as people saying AT&Ts network sucks, I drove from Mt Airy in Cinci to home here in Westerville with a friend and we were able to watch the DirecTv NFL Redzone channel on my iPhone app the hole way home with it only losing it's buffer 3 or 4 times for 20-30 seconds. That app is tits if you like NFL ball, and so is that channel. It streams the live games on the iPhone. AT&Ts network is only going to get better and better. I get near perfect 3g service all over Franklin county.

As far as people saying AT&Ts network sucks, I drove from Mt Airy in Cinci to home here in Westerville with a friend and we were able to watch the DirecTv NFL Redzone channel on my iPhone app the hole way home with it only losing it's buffer 3 or 4 times for 20-30 seconds. That app is tits if you like NFL ball, and so is that channel. It streams the live games on the iPhone. AT&Ts network is only going to get better and better. I get near perfect 3g service all over Franklin county.

There is nothing wrong in the areas they have towers.. they just need to work better deals to make their network bigger for data. If anything will cause their downfall its the coverage area for travelling customers.

P.S. After the storm I highly doubt they would back this phone without completely and totalling testing every aspect of it. With google designing it instead of failorola its will probably be a very good device. I still dont see it being better than the touch pro 2 though...

PSSSSSS.. The iphone = money and verizon has the most customers. It would be completely stupid for the two not to work together. Its a win win situation.

If anything will cause their downfall its the coverage area for travelling customers.

We switched from Verizon to AT&T air cards for our laptops and I have noticed a frustrating (and very substantial) decrease in service area. Why our management would choose the carrier with the least coverage for employees that travel to remote areas is beyond me. Add to the fact that I need to connect to our VPN to perform many job functions and it's even more baffling.

AT&T coverage sucks, end of story, I had to switch to the AT&T Bold because of international travel (which I've yet to do on the company dime) and since changing over, I've had nothing but the absolutely shittiest coverage ever.

Fucking so glad I left Verizon. When I finally decided on my smart phone debacle it was an Android phone of the iPhone. Since there were only mostly seemingly false rumors about when Verizon would have either of these and I was ready to make the plunge I left them. Now they are going to get an android phone, but it's a Motorola. I will never own another Motorola. The one I owned was such a piece of shit. So glad I left Verizon.

Thats the Motorola Sholes, runs on MotoBlur which is Android that Motorola skinned. See my "android peeps" thread.

I agree with Trouble Maker, after I had a RAZR i also said that I will never own another motorola EVAR.

But pretty soon every phone on this planet will be an Android...just wait.

Here the image of the homescreen thats posted in my other thread:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/3979834514_39b751d64c_o.png

I wonder why that one shows the traditional android gray for the notification bar at the top, when this one shows it as being black...hmmmm

We switched from Verizon to AT&T air cards for our laptops and I have noticed a frustrating (and very substantial) decrease in service area. Why our management would choose the carrier with the least coverage for employees that travel to remote areas is beyond me. Add to the fact that I need to connect to our VPN to perform many job functions and it's even more baffling.

AT&T coverage sucks, end of story, I had to switch to the AT&T Bold because of international travel (which I've yet to do on the company dime) and since changing over, I've had nothing but the absolutely shittiest coverage ever.

AT&T's service is getting worse IMHO. I used to get coverage with my Bold from the office all the way home. Now I get zero bars in the office, 1 bar just outside the office and I don't get coverage back until I'm within a mile of my house.