Those thinking about DeVry,

BIGGU

Now that i'm done with my Bachelors at DeVry I feel like I wasted my time like everyone else has said they felt after but hey its an accomplishment in my life. Personally I loved the experience i got in my associates, very hands on very good education. as far as my bachelors, well almost everything was online CORE classes only offered online etc.

Read this link, material is dated, but as I read it I couldn't but think to my self oh so true.

http://joz3d.net/html/devry.html

"Please note that DeVry Inc. is a business, not a university. The primary concern of DeVry is not to give a good education, but to make money. Calling DeVry a school of any sort is inaccurate, DeVry actually gives itself a more adequate name, it is an "institution", an institution from hell to be more accurate."

I graduated from there, got my bachelors in CIS/Computer forensics. I thought it was a great school, I started with regular classes, but switched to accelerated because I started to work full time too. Online classes are great for "blow off" classes, but if its a programming class or something that you actually want to learn something, forget about taking it online.

Devry is expensive as fuck though. I remember it cost the same a quarter as it would for the entire year at OSU...something like that.

Devry is expensive as fuck though. I remember it cost the same a quarter as it would for the entire year at OSU...something like that.

truth, it goes up every semester too, at least it did for me. its now $550 a credit hour.

Its definitely not a party school, or a place to meet chicks :nono::(

They have a college of Nursing there now. It didnt used to be a good place but there are tons of bitches there now. Of course this would happen since I graduated in July and didnt see a single chick there until my senior year. Ugh.

IMO its a total waste of money as they charge WAY TOO MUCH for the quality of the eductation. They do not push you to learn at all. You'll have more open book exams and accepted late assignments than any other school, period. This was at least my experience in the NCM program where I graduated with a 3.9 gpa. How I could have such a great GPA and do such little work on time is nothing short of AMAZING. If I would have tried the same shit when I was in the School of Architecture at OSU I would have flunked out after one quarter. I had to bust my ass at OSU to get into the school to begin with then you put in a stupid amount of time in studio. At Devry I simply got away with murder and they let you turn in home weeks late. A friend of mine took one of the career development classes (CARD something) and literally did all of his homework the week of the final and turned everything in at the same time.

The one thing I think they do well is their job placement assistance. Believe it or not but a lot of companies look to devry for talent and their student assistance in this department is really good. My wife works at nationwide and they hire tons of young developers from Devry.

there are tons of bitches there now

Figures

The one thing I think they do well is their job placement assistance. Believe it or not but a lot of companies look to devry for talent and their student assistance in this department is really good.

This is true.

I went there, but I think things changed since I graduated with my BS over 9 years ago (back then it wasn't DeVry University).

Then, the associates programs were a joke - mostly ghetto trash that were getting a free education. For the bachelors programs, most of the idiots were weeded out in under a year. They would let ANYONE in (decent business model...get 1/2 year to a year worth of money out of someone who has no business being in college, then flunk them out). I think only 30% of the people that started my major actually graduated.

I should also add I got a job paying very good money (well, for someone straight out of college with no experience) from an interview setup through the school. Would have been a career if it wasn't for the tech crash in 01-02.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Figures

This is true.

+1 I have been unemployed for over 3 months. DeVry has gotten me a dozen interviews to which I was unable to accept the job for 1/2 because of my school schedule, quite the dichotomous situation. :lol:

I don't feel like I'm wasting time. I'm not even a graduate and I can do almost a full financial analysis of a company and accounting just for fun. Meanwhile they are still finding me work and when I graduate they will continue to do so. I can't blame them for acting as a business, they still offer a good education on par with the Fisher School of Business. Nitrousbird is dead on, 40 something percent of DeVry's freshman classes are gone within the first year because those people should have gone to CSCC or no school at all.

Ok... Almost done at DeVry, so I think I am close enough to also comment.

The Network program is my area (Associates in Network Systems Administration, Bachelors in Network and Communications Management). I learned so much from the Associates program, and felt it was a very rewarding experience. In addition, they help you find a job even after you graduate. Thats awesome. My career advisor busted ass to find me a job after 3 months of unemployment right in the midst of the economic downturn, but she was great and this is a good temporary gig till I can find something better.

The bachelors side of things, however, is a complete waste of time. You learn everything you need to make it in the real world from the Associates program. Unfortunately, because a Bachelors looks better, I went for it. Its just gen ed classes, really, and the networking classes you take for the Bachelors part are a fucking joke. They are like if one chapter of one of the books in the Associates program got ripped out and turned into a class, thats what it is.

In conclusion, lots of hot bitches (seriously old DeVry alum, more girls than guys now...seriously...), very rewarding Associates program, waste of time Bachelors program, and a few hopefully lifelong friends. Also had some very, very cool professors, like Perkins. (Anyone who graduated from DeVry Columbus knows Perkins, hes the shit)

"Please note that DeVry Inc. is a business, not a university. The primary concern of DeVry is not to give a good education, but to make money. Calling DeVry a school of any sort is inaccurate, DeVry actually gives itself a more adequate name, it is an "institution", an institution from hell to be more accurate."

All colleges are businesses, OSU included.

In conclusion, lots of hot bitches (seriously old DeVry alum, more girls than guys now...seriously...), very rewarding Associates program, waste of time Bachelors program, and a few hopefully lifelong friends. Also had some very, very cool professors, like Perkins. (Anyone who graduated from DeVry Columbus knows Perkins, hes the shit)

I always felt like Perkins hated me! haha

I have my Bachelor in Business Administration from DeVry (graduated last year). I worked in the library there for over a year and knew the school and staff pretty well, maybe that's why I liked it there? I didn't think it was bad at all, and the job placement got me my job (in IT oddly enough). I don't think getting my Bachelors was a waste of money at all, I actually want to go back and get my Masters.

I think most of the people who hate DeVry either didn't get the job of their choice at graduation or picked the wrong school in the first place...