I am thinking of buying a handgun.

OGRE

I've had long guns but never a handgun and am leaning toward a couple different ones.

I like the looks ofa revolfver but larger caliber pistols are also intrigueing.

Mainly thinking about a .357 magnum or a .45 1911 pistol. Again since i have limited expierience with handguns i really don't know which specific brand or model but i'd like to spend no more than about $500. Primarily for home protection with some recreational shooting as well.

any information and expierience or even opinions are welcome.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in the same situation myself, and I asked for opinions/advice. Pretty much everyone told me the same thing: go to the range with a few friends and shoot a number of different pistols. The pistols which are "best" for you will be the ones which are most comfortable for you to shoot. If it doesn't feel right in your hand, then you probably won't shoot well with it and may not be as inclined to practice with it.

Most ranges will also let you try out a number of different configurations.

I've been told that I would do better with a $450 Glock that I practiced with than with a $5,000 Wilson Combat that didn't feel right to fire.

My .02

• Upvote 1

I've been in the same situation myself, and I asked for opinions/advice. Pretty much everyone told me the same thing: go to the range with a few friends and shoot a number of different pistols. The pistols which are "best" for you will be the ones which are most comfortable for you to shoot. If it doesn't feel right in your hand, then you probably won't shoot well with it and may not be as inclined to practice with it.

Most ranges will also let you try out a number of different configurations.

I've been told that I would do better with a $450 Glock that I practiced with than with a $5,000 Wilson Combat that didn't feel right to fire.

My .02

This is the best answer.

If you want to get a 357 (yes you want it) I suggest a S&W 686 with 4 or 6" barrel. I have one with 6" and it holds 7 rounds. Click my profile and go into my pictures if you want to see what it looks like next to my glock 21.

I'm not on the level of these guys but I just picked up my first gun this week, a ruger p95 locally for $290 new and I love it so far. Easy to break down, easy to shoot, cheap ammo, etc, and my primary reason was for home protection.

S&W M&P fits your price range and will be easy to shoot. i keep one in my night stand for home protection...not to mention, 3 removable back straps that if you have smaller hands, you can make the grip fit, and vice versa if you have larger hands.

S&W M&P fits your price range and will be easy to shoot. i keep one in my night stand for home protection...not to mention, 3 removable back straps that if you have smaller hands, you can make the grip fit, and vice versa if you have larger hands.

agree. I think I will be buying one for my wife next year.

I held a 686 today, did not like it. i'm the ogre and my hands are large, my pinky would not fit on the handle, love the looks and the power of it though.

Looking at a 1911 i did notice they are not cheap my any means. probibly out of my range for the price i want to pay unless i fins someone wanting to sell privately.

I did hold a ruger P-90 .45 it felt very good, and fell in my price range. but i'd like to soot a .45 semi-auto before buying one would fireing a 1911 be that much different?

theres an M&P 45 you could shoot. im sure NASR/AIMHI or similar would have one you can shoot.

id let you shoot my M&P 9mm, but its a compact, and if you have large hands, even with the pinky extension on the magazine, youll probably have the same problem. the full size 45 shouldnt be a problem though

i don't know what M&P stands for. i've only had a .22 rifle i used to hunt groundhog.

my hands are bigger than many people my size, i'm 6'3 230#.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=15711&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15708&top_category=15708

Military and Police

Great guns, lighter than my 5906 and has less kickback. I really enjoyed shooting the one I rented at NASR. My wife liked it too, and like I said, I will be buying her one next year.

New base model 1911 can be had for ~$500. Check out RIA (I believe Copperhead has one and loves it). Also check out the Springfield GI. They're no frills 1911s, and they work. Don't expect match grade performance out of them, but I wouldn't hesitate to get one for plinking and such.

does anyone have one of these . . .

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi/70211.jpg

at $450 it seems right in my wheelhouse price wise. I like Ruger's reputation. Also could a 1911 be worth the price difference?

Mike, i'l definatly be over soon :) i want my damn movie back.

why? "i'm telling you." is not a reason.

why did you pick the ruger? You haven't exactly made a case for it besides the money.

You said it yourself that you are unfamiliar with handguns.

You have to go shoot these. Looking on the internet will only get you so far.

why did you pick the ruger? You haven't exactly made a case for it besides the money.

You said it yourself that you are unfamiliar with handguns.

You have to go shoot these. Looking on the internet will only get you so far.

your geting agrumentative and i'm sure that evan can speak for himself.

in the real world of family and finance price does make a big difference with most things being equal. i haven't seen the S&W S&P .45 under $650. I"m planing on a trip to vances and powder room to check alot of different guns out, do not assume just because i throw something out there that that is what i have decided on. I'm not making a case but looking for information. someone that i do not know saying "trust me, get this" Does not help.

on edit what does ACP mean?

the M&P is super easy to break down, its very comfortable in the hand, and not to mention, there's a local gunsmith who does a lot of customizing on these on huntley rd right next to the budweiser factory. i loved mine from the first time i shot it, and i had him go over it, worked the trigger down to about 4.5#, a clearer trigger reset, crowned the barrel 11 degrees (to shoot more accurate), polished the feed ramp, not to mention a whole other list of things he does. ronnie @ http://www.boom-boomtactical.com

and if you MUST have a 45, vances has them now in a 4" or 4.5" barrel for $549, and they also have the 9 and 40 for $499. keep in mind the cost of ammo when you're buying a gun. if you intend to do a lot of plinking around on the weekends, 45ACP can get expensive QUICK. not to mention, with the right bullet selection, a 9mm round can do A LOT of damage, and you'll have the capacity for more rounds in the magazine. the 45 holds 10+1, and the 9 holds either 16 or 17 +1, and i think the 40 is 12+1. i havent been keeping up on the M&P forums lately...i know my 9 compact is 12+1.

Thanks evan, If i ever need to shoot a person i want them on thier ass, so yeah i think i have decided on a .45. trigger wieght is not an issue, i think that i'd rather have i a little higher than most because i am a big strong dude. thanks for the input i will definatly make a trip to vance's this weekend and the powder room to rent a couple firearms before putting some cash down. thanks.

Thanks evan, If i ever need to shoot a person i want them on thier ass, so yeah i think i have decided on a .45. trigger wieght is not an issue, i think that i'd rather have i a little higher than most because i am a big strong dude. thanks for the input i will definatly make a trip to vance's this weekend and the powder room to rent a couple firearms before putting some cash down. thanks.

if you want a heavy trigger, get a S&W sigma. that way, you can get a junk gun, heavy trigger, and only spend $300. lol