Salvage vehicles, who's done them?

RangerTurbo

Out here a JY has a "rebuildable" 2005 Grand Cherokee that's pretty damn loaded (HEMI, leather, nav, etc). Pics are a bit shitty, but it looks like it took the hit in the passenger rear corner, maybe some damage down the passenger side but doesn't look like it.

From the looks, it needs the rear quarter pulled a little around the tail light, new rear bumper, and any structural work behind the bumper area, and that's about it? They want $9500 for it.

http://www.transwestauto.com/site/cardetail.cfm?id=4622

My main questions are:

Whose gone this route before?

How much does the JY really have into this Jeep when buying it from the insurance company (pennies on the dollar is what I've been told)?

I'm not totally serious about buying this, but the thought has seriously crossed my mind. If the unibody is straight, and the doors all seal on the passenger side, it could turn into a very nice fixer upper daily driver.

Pics of the damaged side (sorry pics are poor, it's their pictures)

http://www.transwestauto.com/images/cars/fullsize/4622(2).jpg

http://www.transwestauto.com/images/cars/fullsize/4622(3).jpg

I am sure they paid a good $6000 for that. Getting an inspection and flipping the title to have it rebuild salvage is no problem whatsoever. You pay $50, wait a few weeks and just go in for them to look at your car for any stolen parts. Just provide them any source of evidence where you purchased your parts from and all is good. I have gone through this process 4 times now and am soon taking my 04 M3 up there as I bought it wrecked through Copart from Houston Texas. I paid $8200 for it.

You need to get more information on why it has become salvage a title. 2k in damage doesnt total a Jeep that books for just over 20k.

Its possible that it was a theft recovery after 30 days. Insurance pays out on theft at 30.

Ive built quite a few in my time, and copart is the place to buy them from.

You need to get more information on why it has become salvage a title. 2k in damage doesnt total a Jeep that books for just over 20k.

Its possible that it was a theft recovery after 30 days. Insurance pays out on theft at 30.

Ive built quite a few in my time, and copart is the place to buy them from.

That is a big red flag right now. I too am suspicious of why that damage has totaled it. I suspect unibody damage, but could only hope for the best.

good luck with resale though.

It wouldn't be bought to flip it. I'm to the point where I want a nice completely stock daily driver. No more lifted Jeep with its quirks. No performance modifications that reduce reliability. I want something I can drive till the wheels fall off and its worth nothing anymore. But, if the Jeep has too much hidden damage, that voids that vehicle as "reliable" to me.

Do you think I didn't look at the link? Or are you trying to make me look like a punk with your last second call of brilliance? Obviously I did to note what features the Jeep has.

Transwest is my go-to junk yard out here. They do more than "theft recovery". When it is a theft recovery, they usually list it as such,... you take a look at the link, follow the page to the rest of the advertised cars and note the ones that are listed as theft recovery.

The Jeep isn't listed as such. No question is answered. By the ad, or you.

Exactly what I was thinking and going to say. There's a back story we don't know or major damage on that car that we aren't seeing. From what we can see in the pictures, that's a light wreck and definitely not going to total a 20k car from a $$,$$$ sand point.

You should low-ball them and put the engine/harness/pcm/drive train in your truck, assuming that's mostly good.

That one looks like a nightmare waiting to happen to someone. The outside body damage doesn't look too bad, but I suspect significant undercarriage damage. If you look closely at that rt frt 3/4 view, you can see where the bottom of the fender is blown out, and there is damage on the front cover as well. Also, the right rear wheel is not chrome like the others (maybe the spare?) That opens up all kinds of potential damage to the rear suspension and axle assy. The ad says it runs and drives, I'd want to see it up on a lift before making the decision to buy. I'd be curious to find out where it came from too. Depending on what state the previous owner lived in the damage done in the accident may only be a percentage of the value of the vehicle. Kentucky law says that once damage reaches 75% of the value of the vehicle, it is a total loss. I believe some states are as low as 65 or 70%. Look it over real close, see if there is an estimate for repair that you could see, that is information that the auction house should have had when the salvage yard bought the car, even if it is just a figure from the ins. co.

Except used car lots can sell salvage title vehicles.

Used car lots can sell Rebuilt Titles, not Salvage titles. Salvage title vehicles cannot legally be sold on the same lot as a clean/rebuilt title vehicle.

That one looks like a nightmare waiting to happen to someone. The outside body damage doesn't look too bad, but I suspect significant undercarriage damage. If you look closely at that rt frt 3/4 view, you can see where the bottom of the fender is blown out, and there is damage on the front cover as well. Also, the right rear wheel is not chrome like the others (maybe the spare?) That opens up all kinds of potential damage to the rear suspension and axle assy. The ad says it runs and drives, I'd want to see it up on a lift before making the decision to buy. I'd be curious to find out where it came from too. Depending on what state the previous owner lived in the damage done in the accident may only be a percentage of the value of the vehicle. Kentucky law says that once damage reaches 75% of the value of the vehicle, it is a total loss. I believe some states are as low as 65 or 70%. Look it over real close, see if there is an estimate for repair that you could see, that is information that the auction house should have had when the salvage yard bought the car, even if it is just a figure from the ins. co.

You sound like someone that has had some experience in checking out wrecked cars in detail before. Every state has different laws. The 75% for KY may be a state law, but what people don't think about, is what the insurance companies requirments are much less for total loss. State Farm for example is as low as 30% on a newer(current back 3) models can result in a total. I have seen motorcycles with just scratches on them be totaled. The insurance company is who determines the Salvage not the state in most cases. I deal with Salvage vehicles everyday. As long as you take a good look at what you are buying, and know what you are doing repair wise, you can't go wrong.

Why yes, I was implying you didn't look at the link. Looks like you got your panties all in a twist too.

Do you think I didn't look at the link? Or are you trying to make me look like a punk with your last second call of brilliance? Obviously I did to note what features the Jeep has.

Transwest is my go-to junk yard out here. They do more than "theft recovery". When it is a theft recovery, they usually list it as such,... you take a look at the link, follow the page to the rest of the advertised cars and note the ones that are listed as theft recovery.

The Jeep isn't listed as such. No question is answered. By the ad, or you.

Guest tbutera2112
Used car lots can sell Rebuilt Titles, not Salvage titles. Salvage title vehicles cannot legally be sold on the same lot as a clean/rebuilt title vehicle.

You sound like someone that has had some experience in checking out wrecked cars in detail before. Every state has different laws. The 75% for KY may be a state law, but what people don't think about, is what the insurance companies requirments are much less for total loss. State Farm for example is as low as 30% on a newer(current back 3) models can result in a total. I have seen motorcycles with just scratches on them be totaled. The insurance company is who determines the Salvage not the state in most cases. I deal with Salvage vehicles everyday. As long as you take a good look at what you are buying, and know what you are doing repair wise, you can't go wrong.

my dad got t-boned on his bike when it was only 3 months old....he ended up needing a new mirror, and handlebars..and a few little tiny pieces, and some paint...12k bike, fixed it for a grand...insurance totaled it, so he bought it back and had less than 2k into it total

my dad got t-boned on his bike when it was only 3 months old....he ended up needing a new mirror, and handlebars..and a few little tiny pieces, and some paint...12k bike, fixed it for a grand...insurance totaled it, so he bought it back and had less than 2k into it total

Motorcycles are very different animals. Typically if there is any damage to the frame/forks/suspension it will prob be totaled.