New project

Comebackkid

From what i understand you want a good Break in oil not just any cheap stuff off the shelf. was told to me by a good engine builder here in columbus you need something with zinc in it such as rotella T. there are other companies such as Brad Pen break in oil aswell. im not an engine builder but i have talked to a few good ones and i think proper engine break in will be most important. why spend 10k on a engine and put some cheap off brand in it. also if you are to say shell rotella t is some cheap off brand you will be wrong.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A street engine should be driven moderately for the first thousand miles, as follows:

· full throttle high torque power useage should be limited and never be used until the engine has

been running for at least 15 minutes.

· from 0-500 miles, do not exceed 4000 rpm.

· from 500-1000, do not exceed 6000 rpm.

· over 1000 miles, no restrictions.

Also, do not run at the same speed for extended periods during break-in. Make certain the

engine is operating at proper coolant temperature and oil pressure. Do not allow the engine to

overheat. Make necessary changes if required (radiator, fan, tuning) to get the engine to run in

the proper temperature range. We also recommend you do not run synthetic oil until at least

5000 miles. Synthetics work so well that the engine will never break in properly if it is used too soon.

Im breaking my gsr in with Rotella per Mike Laskey's recomendation, he's the one who built the motor. I have heard 20mins to allow rings to seat, never stay at one consistant rpm while driving, allow revs to drop by themselves ect...

Many people will say "break it in like its going to be driven"..yeah if you plan on changing motors every weekend like most race teams do then sure beat the piss out of it asap. If you want a motor to last you should be somewhat easy on it at first.

Im breaking my gsr in with Rotella per Mike Laskey's recomendation, he's the one who built the motor. I have heard 20mins to allow rings to seat, never stay at one consistant rpm while driving, allow revs to drop by themselves ect...

Many people will say "break it in like its going to be driven"..yeah if you plan on changing motors every weekend like most race teams do then sure beat the piss out of it asap. If you want a motor to last you should be somewhat easy on it at first.

Josh i have herd the same as Laskey has told you. witch since i herd t from a few sources that have built long lasting high hp hondas i will take their advice.

here is a link that an engine builder told me to read over. he said alot of people swear by what this guy says.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

and here is a quote from him

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??

The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

Why ??

Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

Like i said i am not an engine builder but im getting the same answer from multiple sources dealing with my type of car. So i dont want to see this turn into a Pissing match on the forum i am just trying to help someone out. like stated before get ahold of a trusted engine builder and ask their advice.

From what i understand you want a good Break in oil not just any cheap stuff off the shelf. was told to me by a good engine builder here in columbus you need something with zinc in it such as rotella T. there are other companies such as Brad Pen break in oil aswell. im not an engine builder but i have talked to a few good ones and i think proper engine break in will be most important. why spend 10k on a engine and put some cheap off brand in it. also if you are to say shell rotella t is some cheap off brand you will be wrong.

LOL there is a link, I just posted a few weeks back where they broke down the 12 top oils and you would be so surprised what really is in the oils, Cold hard fact AMSoil is the best oil and best proven oil you can get. Did you know alot of the cheap oils have zinc in it? For zinc to work as a anti-wear agent you need zinc to mix with phosphorous. quaker was one of the worst companys on the testing and had lots of zinc in the oil. Engine builder or not there going to tell you what they want you to buy or what they think. ( which im not saying is wrong) most the time when breaking in the motor you add zinc in the oil with phosphorous. Im sorry but I just thought it was funny you said you need a oil with zinc because all oil has fucking zinc in it.

Here is the fact for zinc in motors oils synthetic and non synthetic

"The combination of zinc and phosphorous is limited to a maximum of 800 parts per million in API/SM classification, which is the latest classification that came out in 2004. "

Here is some things of a few oil sites that advertise what they claim to do.

“You can put zinc in the oil but it won’t act as an anti-wear agent until you add the phosphorous,”

Any oil that you get that says API or ILSAC GF-4 contains a limited amount of zinc and phosphorous, and for most racing applications, that’s not what you want,”

It is for this reason some engine builders have switched to diesel oil for break-ins as some of these formulations are known to have higher levels of zinc.

“The current diesel oil spec is CJ-4 is limited to 1,200 parts per million (ppm), so it does have 400 ppm more than API pass car oil but it’s only marginally better. A lot of people get mislead hunting down the oil with the highest ppm, as if it were the Holy Grail, and it really isn’t,”

Funny thing is that alot of the big race shops like titan, ams, rb sports use diesel oil for breaking in engines that are 100k 1300hp engines so its all who you want to follow or believe.

Boosted i see you are a very smart individual and no i didnt know all that about oil. I thank you for informing me i always like to learn new things.

Roy do you know where the motor was built at the shop not just the sleeve manufacturer? I would talk to both darton and the company who persaonaly assembled the motor.

Boosted i see you are a very smart individual and no i didnt know all that about oil. I thank you for informing me i always like to learn new things.

Roy do you know where the motor was built at the shop not just the sleeve manufacturer? I would talk to both darton and the company who persaonaly assembled the motor.

I am def not a pro engine builder or any of that. I just have built many motors and I just do what ive been helped with. There are many ways to do it and many options in oil. There are only a handful of oil that is really above the comp. Just like anyone else the best bet is read up on info and listen to what guys who build specific engines say to do.

Broke my fresh motor in on the dyno. Only way to do it. Made 535 fresh out of the box @18psi.

Break-in Procedure: Start with reg non-syn oil

prime system to get oil to head

tune idle, let warm

turn off, change oil, check for anything nasty

Start car, tune, run hog wild

I've had two fully built motors, ran perfectly for over multiple seasons, over 500whp daily'd, if you have any questions I can help ya out ;)

• Upvote 1

Broke my fresh motor in on the dyno. Only way to do it. Made 535 fresh out of the box @18psi.

tune idle, let warm

I've had two fully built motors, ran perfectly for over multiple seasons, over 500whp daily'd, if you have any questions I can help ya out ;)

What motors have you had I'm going lsvtec and i'm trying to figuer out what ecu to start with?

tune idle, let warm

This is the way ive done it I use reg non syn cheap oil.

What motors have you had I'm going lsvtec and i'm trying to figuer out what ecu to start with?

Start with anything you can tune with. Thats the key to a good break in. Most people do the whole "i'm just babying it for the next 3k miles" blah blah-- its only because they can't afford the tune yet. Just get a chipped ecu that will keep your timing conservative and a/f's consistant. I first had a 2.0l benson block ls/vtec setup on ecutune, then hondata. Now my new motor has s300.

Start with anything you can tune with. Thats the key to a good break in. Most people do the whole "i'm just babying it for the next 3k miles" blah blah-- its only because they can't afford the tune yet. Just get a chipped ecu that will keep your timing conservative and a/f's consistant. I first had a 2.0l benson block ls/vtec setup on ecutune, then hondata. Now my new motor has s300.

I have a chipped ecu fro my other car but if i wanted to I could get the car tuned today if i wanted to lol.. I just dont want to mess anything up on a fresh built motor but from what i've been reading and told I might just break it in on the dyno :)

I have a p28 ecu moew and getting ready to have it chipped. I have a bad ass tuner that will set me up a base tune and just drive the car all motor for now until I get enough cash and research on what turbo I will use. But i can't wait even though it's winter I'm still going to put the car together and on nice days like today I'll take here out and play..

:sigh: Like most muscle car guys, I don't think you have any idea what you're takling about.

lol not knowing what hes talkign about or not his truck runs 9s so ide say he knows a few things an is allowed to talk a little smack

roy man any updates on the new setup?

No it's not i race a bunch of turbo civics bikes and that supposedly 460hp rsx that orange one you worked on and blew is doors off and i race jeffro lol

His buddies told me it made 530 or so and I was begging the guy to turn the boost down before we raced so I would have a chance. He said no and proceeded to talk smack, so he got his ass handed to him by Roy and I at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Update

right now just got about 3k miles on it so I'm In the market for a 700hp intercooler 1000cc injectors a heavy duty clutch. One that will hold atleast 450tq. I need a big aeromotive fuel pump. I need a LSD real bad fuck the one wheel wonders. Looking at a turbo that will be good for street strip

Edited by Comebackkid