93 eclipse GSX, no spark

JaSSon

Still screwing with this thing. Looks like now it's not getting spark. What typically fails in these? The coil pack? The Power transistor? The coil pack is wedged under the intake. I'm trying to build up the motivation to go out there and start ripping it apart.

Guest Removed

check for crank and cam signals, also check fuses....if your getting all the ins and outs to the coils pack, then the coil pack is crap

and also, there is a crank sensor...The crankshaft position and camshaft sensor are replaced as a complete unit.

Edited by Removed

I pulled a cam shaft sensor out of an Elantra 4g63 @ pick-n-pull. The harness was different, but I spliced it together. Same condition.

I double checked fuses last night, I can't find any that are blown.

I'm using a Chilton's service manual. I just checked the ignition coil secondary resistance, they ohm out. I can't get my hands in to test the primary resistance without having another harness (junk yard maybe) or pulling the module. Anything else I should look at?

Why did those assholes at Mitsu bury the damned coil under the intake and the fuel rail/injectors. I just need to get my hands on a COP assembly, slap it on and see if it fires up.

Guest Removed
now if i rmemeber right, you was getting spark before when you was fucking with this thing...and i hate to say it, but the Elantra setup may have a different signal out put signature then the dsm one. cause the korean stuff is way different if i remember right. but it could be the same..might want to double check your wiring there just to be sure. i know swapping sensors like that in a honda cant be done with out other stuff getting swapped around...

now if i rmemeber right, you was getting spark before when you was fucking with this thing...and i hate to say it, but the Elantra setup may have a different signal out put signature then the dsm one. cause the korean stuff is way different if i remember right. but it could be the same..might want to double check your wiring there just to be sure. i know swapping sensors like that in a honda cant be done with out other stuff getting swapped around...

I'll swap the stock CAS back in and double check.

Edit: Installed stock CAS, reconnected coil, battery, etc... no spark! Fucking DSM!

2nd edit, tested spark from cylinders 3&4, neither sparked.

Edited by JaSSon

Do you have the right test equipment to check the ignition output driver form the ecu? If so,check that. Then check the igniter output to the coils.

P.S. If the ecu,crank or cam angle sensors aren't working in harmony you may not have pulse to the injectors either. ;) Use a noid light to test the injector outputs. Could be as simply as a EFI main relay. And even if one of the angle sensors is bad it should still fire the coils. But the car will be in limp mode

Do you have the right test equipment to check the ignition output driver form the ecu? If so,check that. Then check the igniter output to the coils.

P.S. If the ecu,crank or cam angle sensors aren't working in harmony you may not have pulse to the injectors either. ;) Use a noid light to test the injector outputs. Could be as simply as a EFI main relay. And even if one of the angle sensors is bad it should still fire the coils. But the car will be in limp mode

What do I need to check the output from the ecu?

Guest Removed
But for a simple test of ecu and igniter outputs,a circuit tester like the Waekon SST will work fine as well.

http://www.waekon.com/PS/sst42v/sst42vintro.html

and even that , is the worse thing to try and use to test a PCM with. the pcm could have enough energy to light the little light inside that tester, and not have enough to fire a coil/injector etc. and considering a test light like that, can feed power into the pcm and fuck more shit up. (considering i watched a tech (gm certified no less) fry a pcm in a caddy with a tester just like that.) and just think about how the injector driver works. and then the issue of a noid light being used to test it. how many milli amps does it take to light the bulb off in the noid light? how many amps does it take to pull the needle up in a injector? big fucking difference there. granted getting a base idea if its working or not, it can clue you in, but i have seen this this back fire a few to many time's in my day. and watched people chase there tail on a pcm problem, because the noid light lite!

A lab/oscilliscope is the preferred tool to test wave forms and amplitude.

Rob,I understand what you are saying. And agree with you to a point. The idea here was to simply test for a output trigger. That's all.

If that test probe is airbag safe,then it won't have an issue checking driver outputs on a 93 GSX. I have used one for years to do a "quick checks". Certainly wouldn't use it on CAN-bus or other systems extreme sensitive to current and/or voltage changes.

Guest Removed
those "quick checks" , is where a miss diagnosis happens the most. and yes it can tell you , yeah, its putting out enough to light the bulb. but can it do work, like open a injector or fire a coil...due you under stand more of what im saying here? if you wanna lead someone down the right path to diagnosing a problem, dont put a fork in the road that can lead them right back to where they started.

Rob,I understand exactly what you are saying. I'm not going to argue with you any longer. It's pointless. And I have better things to do.

At this point we should be focused on the reason for this thread. Jason's lack of spark.

So Jason,is their any update on finding the root of the problem?

Guest Removed
Rob,I understand exactly what you are saying. I'm not going to argue with you any longer. It's pointless. And I have better things to do.

At this point we should be focused on the reason for this thread. Jason's lack of spark.

So Jason,is their any update on finding the root of the problem?

who said i was arguing? im simply stating facts.

now back to the issue

well here is where it all started

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64989&highlight=spark

then he had spark...or so he thought. now he has changed the cam sensor, and dont....

• 1 month later...