Saab 9-2X Aero

6 Speed S4

Anyone know about these besides the fact they are glorified subaru WRX Wagons? Im thinking about buying one its an 06 with 23k miles 5 speed, for 12,000, clean title no accidents. I'm going to use this for my daily and maybe do a few bolt ons.

I am a Saab tech so I can get the parts real cheap at my work. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Anyone know about these besides the fact they are glorified subaru WRX Wagons? Im thinking about buying one its an 06 with 23k miles 5 speed, for 12,000, clean title no accidents. I'm going to use this for my daily and maybe do a few bolt ons.

I am a Saab tech

so I can get the parts real cheap at my work. Any info would be great.Thanks

Interesting..............I'd say that if you don't have to work on them much you're golden, but I'm not a Saab tech so I haven't seen any of these.

Interesting..............I'd say that if you don't have to work on them much you're golden, but I'm not a Saab tech so I haven't seen any of these.

Well they didn't make very many of them so thats why I haven't seen many in. They seem to be pretty reliable. I like the Saab interior vs the WRX interior.

A friend mine's wife has one. It's a Subaru with SAAB clothes. The downside is that MAG seems to have no clue how to work on it. So approach repairs to it as a Subaru, not as a SAAB.

Otherwise, it'll be fine. My WRX has the "glass" transmission (being an early '03) and I'm Stage 2 and race it regularly on very rough surfaces. It isn't crunchy in the least. The "glass" reputation really came from numbskulls who don't know how to drive stick. It should be fine if it hasn't been beaten on already. If you want to really make the transmission happy, put Subaru Extra-S in it. It's tough to get, but worth it in a Subaru.

A friend mine's wife has one. It's a Subaru with SAAB clothes. The downside is that MAG seems to have no clue how to work on it. So approach repairs to it as a Subaru, not as a SAAB.

Otherwise, it'll be fine. My WRX has the "glass" transmission (being an early '03) and I'm Stage 2 and race it regularly on very rough surfaces. It isn't crunchy in the least. The "glass" reputation really came from numbskulls who don't know how to drive stick. It should be fine if it hasn't been beaten on already. If you want to really make the transmission happy, put Subaru Extra-S in it. It's tough to get, but worth it in a Subaru.

Does the 05/06 "Saabaru" have the weaker trans as well? I mean 23k miles isn't much but I don't know how hard the last owner drove it.

Joe, 5spd was beefed up in mid to late 03 and later, tranny will be fine if it was adult driven. And that is a good deal, the Saab looks way better than the actual Subaru WRX wagon. I always liked the Saab because it didn't have the rails on top. My wife has a 05 WRX Wagon.

I dunno about these subaru motors. I've been hearing a lot of people blowing motors left and right. Whats up with that? As long as you keep the motor close to stock I guess it will be ok.

Best thing about SAAB was the key in the center, and the fact that it was the car with the best interior I sat in out of the entire GM lineup when I went to Detroit early this past summer, including Cadillac.

my motor is fine with 75K and my wife's has almost 80k.

Drive harder;)

No really though, there have been some subie motor-blowers going around lately. I had a subaru and the motor was fine other than having no power and sounding like a vanagon. 180k miles too. Eventually the fuel pump died, the axle came out of the trans, and I hung it up. Poor car.

My motor is fine after 30K of flogging it. A good tune is the key to making a motor last. The "doom tunes" that people find online and put them on their car without logging it is where a lot of them come from. I know people that put down 500+WHP on open deck EJ205's without problems, and are daily driven.

Joe, 5spd was beefed up in mid to late 03 and later, tranny will be fine if it was adult driven. And that is a good deal, the Saab looks way better than the actual Subaru WRX wagon. I always liked the Saab because it didn't have the rails on top. My wife has a 05 WRX Wagon.

Oh good to hear. yeah I think the Saab looks a bit better.

Joe, 5spd was beefed up in mid to late 03

Yup.

As for motor reliability, you don't have anything to worry about. Tune for your mods, and have some mechanical sympathy and it'll last a long time. Again, my WRX that I beat on, has a tune by Thorne and happily sits at an IAM of 16 (No knock, even when racing). There's 124K on the clock and the headgaskets are just fine.

The engine the SAAB has is in the sweet spot, especially if it's the 2.5L motor.

Get the car, go through Subaru for anything but body/interior parts, and you'll have a great family wagon that can come out an play on trackdays.

It's an '06, so it has the 2.5L. '05 was the year they put the 2.0L in the Aero and WRX.

I have to admit I like the body on the Saab better than the WRX, but I like the interior better on the Subaru. My Cousin owns an '06 Aero, and my buddy has the non-turbo version 9-2x Linear, but with a full STi drivetrain and brake swap.

Like these guys have said, go to Subaru for anything other than body panels or interior. And, I wouldn't doubt if the Subaru interior would be cheaper if you needed to replace anything, due to the limited run of the Saab version.