Concrete Counter Tops

iwishiwascool

It's been a while, but I am pretty sure it was the "in place" method. With all of the reinforcement, framing, smoothing, sealing, etc that needs to be done, it just seemed like more work that it's worth. It did turn out nice though.

http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/express-yourself-with-concrete-countertops/index.html

Because of the time and craftsmanship required to build a concrete countertop, the price tag can be high — from about $65 to $125 per square foot, depending on the degree of handiwork involved, according to Concrete in the Kitchen, published by The Concrete Network.

"Concrete countertops — like any other custom handmade product — command premium prices," says Jeff. "They are very labor-intensive to produce, and the quality is entirely dependent on the skill and craftsmanship of the maker."

The current trend is to make a form off site and pour the top upside down. This creates a perfectly smooth surface from the start and reduces sanding/grinding time significantly. The biggest challenge is finding 4 friends to help you lift it into place.

I saw them do it on This Old House. They had a vibrator table to get all the air bubbles out and it took about 15 guys to put it into place.

My counter space isn't that big. The alternative to a vibrator table is attaching hand sanders on the corners of your form table and letting them run for a few hours.

Im sure granite is alot more expensive than DIY concrete. Some of those customer pics look really nice and some honestly look like they belong in a driveway. There is a way to dye the conrete right?

no really depending on what granite you buy its from $50-95 sq/ft. and concrete can be dyed

I helped a buddy do a tile counter top. Used 12 x 12 black marble floor tiles and a beige bullnose tile for the edge. Beige grout and it looked really good when we were done.

The problem with tile is the grout and fact that it is an uneven surface. The grout collects mold and mildew. 24x24 acrylic tiles are always an option as they are modern. I wouldn't mess with 12x12 personally.

Just make sure you use a very good sealer. They stain easily. Next time you go into Cosi, just check out their counters where the beverages are. typically stained to hell.

When I worked in design it was a trend in restaurants, and is still used, but not as much now.

Oils, soda's and wine stain them easily.

Granite is falling out of fashion... fast. If you follow coastal trends, it was out of fashion 3 years ago. Man-made solid surfaces (other than Courian) are in. See Silestone, CaesarStone, Zodiac.

Since I wasn't familiar with all of those other surfaces you mentioned, I did a little googling and discovered they are all engineered quartz.

I 100% agree courian is out. We have it in out house (kitchen and master bath), and it sucks. Scratches like mad, the only way to make it shiny is to use a corian cleaner that makes it greasy, and looks like crap when you wipe it down with a wet rag. All for a similar price to Granite and Quartz.

Now for the Granite vs. Quartz; IMO either would be a good choice, and are fairly similar in look / function.