Rusted strut towers, what kind of repairs do they require?

Aaron

My brother just bought an 1999/2000 Plym Voyager and it has some problems. The drivers side strut tower is rusted, and looks like it will need some attention soon. It is rusted where the mount connects to the tower, the mount is rusted as well, and it doesn't look good. The only rust is on the top though, and it looks like it could be saved easily, however I have no Idea what the procedure is or how much it will cost.

I can get some pics tonight to post up, but the affected area is just the top, nothing else on the tower is rusted.

I imagine it will need cut out, and a donor tower welded in.

Let me know what you can without pics.

Thanks guys.

My brother just bought an 1999/2000 Plym Voyager and it has some problems. The drivers side strut tower is rusted, and looks like it will need some attention soon. It is rusted where the mount connects to the tower, the mount is rusted as well, and it doesn't look good. The only rust is on the top though, and it looks like it could be saved easily, however I have no Idea what the procedure is or how much it will cost.

I can get some pics tonight to post up, but the affected area is just the top, nothing else on the tower is rusted.

I imagine it will need cut out, and a donor tower welded in.

Let me know what you can without pics.

Thanks guys.

You want to know something more specific then that?

Guest Removed

no, you can buy repair pieces for these...and its a bit of a job to do...last one i priced out was around 1000-1200 to do. i have done it several times before.

most places charge more tho if IIRC.

no, you can buy repair pieces for these...and its a bit of a job to do...last one i priced out was around 1000-1200 to do. i have done it several times before.

most places charge more tho if IIRC.

Do the repair peices need welded in? Please elaborate.

Damn, he really got himself in deep with this van.

He just brought me 3 slips of paper, 3 ecu codes from a check engine light on his way home from buying it. Said it never had a light on when he test drove it and it drove fine.

P0403: EGR system fault

P0700: Transaxle control system fault

P0740: Torque Converter clutch circuit condition

Add those to the rusted strut tower and gunk all over the valve cover gaskets on both banks of cylinders and you have essentially how NOT to buy a used car.

The dealership has what is basically a new strut tower hat that fits over the rusted area and is welded in place. It's a common problem with minis from 96 to 00, the pan that holds the windshield wiper assembly drains onto the top of the shock tower.

It is a weld-in repair, you do have to paint or at least prime the area afterwards, and it should run about $1100ish for a quality job of it. Check out http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php and search the minivan section, they have quite a few write-ups on the process.

Guest Removed
Do the repair peices need welded in? Please elaborate.

they rivet in and have a special glue/epoxy to hold them in..some i have had to even add metal too for a proper repair.

it a PITA to do.

Guest Removed
Is the piece I linked what is required? If so, they can be had for less than $50.

looks similar to the ones i have used from the dealer...but the dealer kits come with a epoxy thats gray. like i said..the last i called about them to a dodge dealer..they wants way more then i remember paying for those. hence the IIRC. i way to many cars and parts & numbers going through my head to try and remember them all.and its a little more involved then just riveting those in.

Edited by Removed

Damn, he really got himself in deep with this van.

He just brought me 3 slips of paper, 3 ecu codes from a check engine light on his way home from buying it. Said it never had a light on when he test drove it and it drove fine.

P0403: EGR system fault

P0700: Transaxle control system fault

P0740: Torque Converter clutch circuit condition

Add those to the rusted strut tower and gunk all over the valve cover gaskets on both banks of cylinders and you have essentially how NOT to buy a used car.

guy probably cleared codes with a scan tool before your brother came over and bought it.

Pretty simple fix. I wouldnt suggest the rivet method. Makes no since to drill hole and rivet into an already rusting part. Get the part open the top of the hat up so the strut sits flush with the new part, and WELD the new part in. I have fixed to many strut towers. As a matter of fact Im getting ready to cut part of one out this week!

Guest tbutera2112
Pretty simple fix. I wouldnt suggest the rivet method. Makes no since to drill hole and rivet into an already rusting part. Get the part open the top of the hat up so the strut sits flush with the new part, and WELD the new part in. I have fixed to many strut towers. As a matter of fact Im getting ready to cut part of one out this week!

what would you charge to do this on a 99 plymouth voyager? both sides are rusted to shit

guy probably cleared codes with a scan tool before your brother came over and bought it.

Actually it is easier than that with Chrysler vehicles. All they had to do is pull the fuse for the fuel pump in the engine bay, for about 15 minutes, to clear the computer codes.

Actually it is easier than that with Chrysler vehicles. All they had to do is pull the fuse for the fuel pump in the engine bay, for about 15 minutes, to clear the computer codes.

Thats exactly what I thought he did. Sucks, one of the only times I didn't go with him to look at a car, he buys this piece of shit. :(

what would you charge to do this on a 99 plymouth voyager? both sides are rusted to shit

In for this answer.

Guest Removed

exactly..last one i did, the towers where not solid enough to weld to..and hade to replace alot of the metal in the towers themselves.

now the reason i have seen these done riveted and welded, with the epoxy under them, is the epoxy acts like por15 and pervents the rust from eating at the caps!

post pics...and good shot of the tower side would be best to see if the caps will do the trick or not..but these are bad about the rust on the back side of the tower, under the wiper cowl area, where you cant see them till you pull the wiper cowl out

He is at the dealer now seeing if they will give him his money back (not likely). He is going to offer to return the van and lose $150 if he can get the remaining money back. Hopefully they go for it.

The defrost and air conditioning isn't working either today, and they worked yesterday, along with the 3 engine codes. Don't know why he bought this van.

Not holding my breath though.