apple vs. windows Any Help?

bahd-ler

I am getting a new laptop for school and was wondering if I should go the apple route. I have never owned on but its seems people that have them love them, so I was hoping to get computer savy people to help me decide.... It seems the debate is almost as big as the "chevy/ford" one. I'll be using mainly for school, pics, and music. I dont play any games or any of that shit, and I have a Dell at home. Help me out guys.

Nothing is going to give you the build quality and battery life of the new macbooks, and anything that comes close will have some poor design or just shitty form factor.

If you are going to take your laptop to class a lot, you cannot beat a mac. I've been taking my MBP out with me every day this quarter and will have it on for 4 hours or so and battery life is still at 40% or so when I get back.

Nothing is going to give you the build quality and battery life of the new macbooks, and anything that comes close will have some poor design or just shitty form factor.

If you are going to take your laptop to class a lot, you cannot beat a mac. I've been taking my MBP out with me every day this quarter and will have it on for 4 hours or so and battery life is still at 40% or so when I get back.

To be perfectly honest, sorry, but this entire statement is full of shit.

Watch out for fanboys, they will try to sway you one way or another.

Pat you are full of shit, I can get 3.5 hours out of my Mac book air, when I want to do so. And I don't have the 7 hour battery, My brother in law has a 13 in MacBook Pro with the 7 hr battery, I tested it for a day when he was in town, I turned it on and used it for 3 hrs straight and never touched a setting like I do for my Air. Watched some video, surfed the net for this time and had half the battery left. Why people get butt hurt about Apple products is funny. Most have never used one, not even for 5 min in an apple store. And if you base your opinion on pre-intel or older Macs, you are a moron. I wouldn't have dropped the money on all my apple stuff if I didn't play with the stuff first. I have family that turned me on to it. During my accident in 07 while I was in a wheel chair, I used his MacBook. For 3 weeks I got used to it and saw how easy it is. I then used his Mac Pro and and iPhone before purchasing iPhone and then my MacBook Air, AppleTV, time capsule, and LED Cinema Display in November of last year (2008). I waited over a year.

I have built my last PC's and sat in line with Anthony for my last $400 labtop which broke after 1 year. I got sick of Vista and ATI drivers failing, and ATI telling me there was nothing that could be done. I bought my Mac and am very happy, and it has nothing to do about the cash. I would never drop that amount of money on anything unless I knew I was going to like it. Everyone on here calls me a "fan boy", that's fine. The fact is I like the stuff because it works, and I don't have to mess with it. The fucking thing boots in less than a minute and is ready to go connected to a wireless network in this time. It shuts down in 3-4 seconds.

I still use Windows for work stuff, I run VMware Fusion 3 for my Windows Virtual machine. Fuck bootcamp, I run Windows stuff right on top of OSX for the few minutes I need it and I don't have to reboot. Just turn it on like any program in OSX.

Buy a mac if you go and play with them in the apple store and like it, schedule a personal shopping appointment and an associate will sit with you and show you their product and answer questions before you buy. They will sit with you for a good amount of time, you are not obligated to buy at that time.

Funny Microsoft is paying Apple employees very well to jump ship and work in the new Microsoft stores. They are copying everything that mac does with their stores, even snagging employees from apple to get it right.

funny I don't see HP, Acer, or Dell stores that look like this:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/11/12/095229-uws_apple_store_1_500.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/11/12/095230-uws_apple_store_2_500.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/12/apples-upper-west-side-store-unveiled/

And Apple stock is at a all time high because their product sucks. :rolleyes:

You can get a Refurbished 13 inch MacBook Pro for $999 with the 7 hour battery. I am buying a refurbished MacBook Air ($1349) so we have two in the house. Refurbished Macs save you some cash and are every bit as good as a new one.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB990LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQ4MDk

Edited by Benjamin

Linux. Ubuntu FTW.

To do my best in actually answering your question though, Apple builds some fantastic machines, both aesthetically and functionally. You can't really go wrong. Don't believe the hype though about security though, its safety net is that the majority of malware is directed at Windows due to the saturation. Though the illusion of security still exists for now. Actual security still falls on the user in the end.

You will be able to build/buy a comparable, if not faster, machine in the PC/Windows world for cheaper, and have greater access to programs/games natively.(ofcourse you can do the vmware/bootcamp route) Windows 7 is a decent upgrade to XP (finally), and is making strides in overall usability.

Pat you are full of shit...bla bla bla fanboy spew here

You missed the entire point of my post, congrats on failing on that. Saying that other manufacturers don't offer products on par with Apple build wise is a load of shit. Plenty of manufacturers make damn good laptops in both aesthetics and build quality. My Lenovo, for example, reminds me a lot of using a MacBook in both look and feel, but was roughly half the price, with better specifications.

Second, I have used a MBP, and I want one badly, that doesn't mean I let Steve cum all over my face like you do. Why the hell do you think I even mentioned having a hackintosh? Hackintosh's are for people with normal incomes, and not pockets filled with gold, who would still like the Mac experience. Before you mention it, yes, my 2 installs of OSX are done with legitimate copies of OSX.

Third, Congrats. You had a shit time with Vista, so did the rest of us. Vista isn't a problem anymore. Windows 7 is the now. It has no problems. Runs flawlessly on all 3 machines in my house running it.

Again, don't let fanboys sway you. My arguments are completely unbiased.

You missed the entire point of my post, congrats on failing on that. Saying that other manufacturers don't offer products on par with Apple build wise is a load of shit. Plenty of manufacturers make damn good laptops in both aesthetics and build quality. My Lenovo, for example, reminds me a lot of using a MacBook in both look and feel, but was roughly half the price, with better specifications.

Second, I have used a MBP, and I want one badly, that doesn't mean I let Steve cum all over my face like you do. Why the hell do you think I even mentioned having a hackintosh? Hackintosh's are for people with normal incomes, and not pockets filled with gold, who would still like the Mac experience. Before you mention it, yes, my 2 installs of OSX are done with legitimate copies of OSX.

Third, Congrats. You had a shit time with Vista, so did the rest of us. Vista isn't a problem anymore. Windows 7 is the now. It has no problems. Runs flawlessly on all 3 machines in my house running it.

Again, don't let fanboys sway you. My arguments are completely unbiased.

Douchebag, I told him to try it out for himself. Check the link.

Here is the truth as I see it.

Apple controls both the hardware and the software. Their stuff is sexy and will probably get you laid.

Microsoft has to run on just about anything that is out there, therefore their quality has to suffer in order to fit in whatever hardware that comes to the table. Also, you will not get laid with a windoze machine.

Granted, I am a little drunk right now but I am typing this on my MacBook Pro.

The reality is this, both products have their pluses and minuses. Both have a following. If you want a nice machine you can go either way.

After spewing fanboyism for 3 paragraphs.

I am getting a new laptop for school and was wondering if I should go the apple route. I have never owned on but its seems people that have them love them, so I was hoping to get computer savy people to help me decide.... It seems the debate is almost as big as the "chevy/ford" one. I'll be using mainly for school, pics, and music. I dont play any games or any of that shit, and I have a Dell at home. Help me out guys.

SO I guess the rule is when some asks about Apple, us Apple people who don't use a Hackintosh are not allowed to talk about why we like our Apple products.

I guess my opinion should have been, I like my MacBook Air but I am not allowed to talk about it.

Fuck off Pat.

Jealous much?

You could have said "I like it because its easy." in one sentence. Instead, you went on you went on to list every Apple product you own and say some stupid comments about the design of the Apple store, instead of just talking about the computers.

Again, fanboyism. Don't take it personally. But its just like Chevy and Ford stupidity, PS3 and 360 stupidity, Coke and Pepsi stupdity...

It is what it is. Don't want him to waste his money.

You could have said "I like it because its easy." in one sentence. Instead, you went on you went on to list every Apple product you own and say some stupid comments about the design of the Apple store, instead of just talking about the computers.

1st I didn't list every apple product I own.

2nd, The store is to point out that the customer service side of Apple is far better than any other manufacturer. I know you can't understand this, as you own a "hackintosh". Where is the HP store to help me decide which Mac to buy, or to help me fix my PC the same day in person under warranty? Maybe just a FREE genius appointment, to show me how to do something in OSX that I didn't know how to do since I was just switching to Apple? I posted a link to that.

3rd You stated my pockets are lined with gold because I own Mac products. Do you stereotype blacks, hispanics, Asians too? That is such a douchebag statement, go into that apple store at easton, I see all types of people in there. It's packed at any time of day.

Yes tomorrow I'll have Jeeves run down to the apple store for me tomorrow and pick up my new laptop. :rolleyes:

4th So the rule now is, when talking about my Apple experience is I have to keep it to one sentence and not give the Thread starter any info, or opinion as to WHY I like it, like he asked? LOL

If I am a fan boy, you sir are just a lowly hater. Good night, I have to go to bed so I can get up and polish my pockets, I wouldn't want them to look dirty when I leave the house for the day.

I really don't feel like getting into it with you, its not worth it. Stuff I say gets taken out of context all the time on here, so I am not going to risk it again.

MENACE, make sure look for bullshit, with a side of bullshit, with bullshit on top. Its bound to happen, just make sure you don't make the wrong decision and regret it later.

Right. I have a 17" MBP that they claim gets 8 hours battery life. I get right around 8 hours battery life.

I don't see where its full of shit. Did shit take on a new meaning lately?

I'll be using mainly for school, pics, and music. I dont play any games or any of that shit

Look at what he is asking for. iPhoto is amazing, with great features. iTunes is the same. For school you get the same MS Office features and anything along that route.

Right. I have a 17" MBP that they claim gets 8 hours battery life. I get right around 8 hours battery life.

I don't see where its full of shit. Did shit take on a new meaning lately?

Not saying yours doesn't. I'm implying that saying other manufacturer's machines won't get decent battery life is not right.

i just bought a mac book pro for college and the battery life is amazing lasting 7 hours truly and i love how easy it is to surf the web, taking notes in class. only thing is that you'll have to buy Microsoft office for mac. but regardless so far my mac has been the best thing i have bought for myself for school.