apple vs. windows Any Help?

bahd-ler

i just bought a mac book pro for college and the battery life is amazing lasting 7 hours truly and i love how easy it is to surf the web, taking notes in class. only thing is that you'll have to buy Microsoft office for mac. but regardless so far my mac has been the best thing i have bought for myself for school.

If you buy a windows machine, you have to buy microsoft office for windows.

Personally I am more of a Windows guy. I am certified in a few platforms and I just prefer the ease of Windows. The laptops are a lot cheaper and perform great.

I have used both Apple products and Windows. There are a couple small things I am not a fan of with both. Apple does make nice laptops and desktops...they are easy to use. Both have strengths and like most on here have suggested go and play with them (both) in an environment where pushy sales is not a factor.

This whole conversation will end up revolving around how much do you want to spend in the end. I think you will like them both when you sit down and play with them.

You are all gay.

To the original post if this is just for school taking notes, using word, maybe browsing the internet get a netbook. It is much smaller then a normal windows laptop and a mac. It is slower that is true but if you are just taking notes you don't need a high end computer. It also has a smaller screen 10" but it isn't that bad for schooling. Spend $300 on a decent netbook and call it a day.

You can download open office for free. It is almost the same as microsoft office expect it is freeware. It opens and reads any microsoft word document.

The battery life on my netbook is 7-9 hours on a full charge. This is using wireless all the time it is never hooked into an Ethernet port.

Edit: if you already have a monitor you can easily hook it into your netbook when at home. Same with a keyboard and mouse.

Here check this out

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=netbooks&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4907596380888763494&ei=y88FS7HGNYfdnAftxtm5Cw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CDgQ8wIwCQ#ps-sellers

Edited by 87GT
added shiet

What are you going to school for? What do you want to be when you grow up?

To put it very simply, if you want to "do work son", and looking for a "cummins diesel" get a pc. If you want a Prius and tell everyone how you are saving the world, get a mac.

It comes down to what you will use it for, as someone said already, look out for fanboys.

95% of the time I'm using my laptop to surf the net and watching videos. Any OS would do that to my satisfaction. For me, the price is what gets me. I can't justify spending way more money to get a Mac when I can have a Windows machine to do the same. Personally, I haven't had a Windows machine crash on me or have virus problems ever since Windows XP so I don't even know what the Apple commercials are talking about. It's all personal preference though. I would suggest that you go "test drive" different machines and see how you like them. Then compare the good and the bad like you would do with any other buying decision.

P.S. If you need a laptop to help you get laid then you have problems.

I've become quite accustomed to my Toshiba. Glenn just got one recently, bigger and better than mine...curse that close-to-elderly gentleman...

I have had my Toshiba Satellite through all 4 years of college and the ol' boy is as good as the day I bought it.

Might even put Windows 7 on it and watch it fry.

I have had my Toshiba Satellite through all 4 years of college and the ol' boy is as good as the day I bought it.

Might even put Windows 7 on it and watch it fry.

Hope it doesn't break your heart that Windows 7 has about the same system requirements as Vista, so the odds of it frying your system are slim...lol

I own a HP laptop and it's a turd. Buy either a mac, or buy my HP from me so that I can buy a mac.

That 7 hr battery life is a gamechanger. I'm not up to date on laptops right now, but I sure haven't seen any other manufacturers that can claim that kind of life!

I have built my last PC's and sat in line with Anthony for my last $400 labtop which broke after 1 year. I got sick of Vista and ATI drivers failing, and ATI telling me there was nothing that could be done. I bought my Mac and am very happy, and it has nothing to do about the cash. I would never drop that amount of money on anything unless I knew I was going to like it. Everyone on here calls me a "fan boy", that's fine. The fact is I like the stuff because it works, and I don't have to mess with it. The fucking thing boots in less than a minute and is ready to go connected to a wireless network in this time. It shuts down in 3-4 seconds.

Ben you bought a black friday laptop. Isn't fair to say you get what you pay for. Also are you saying the build quality of that laptop is the same for all PC based laptops? If so that's a pretty bold statement.

As for the ATI and Vista issues Nivida had the same problems as well but SP1 updated drivers fixed most if not all of those issues. Also Windows 7 is night and day better the Vista. Its what Vista should have been.

having played with both I would still buy a windows system I get more for my money and I don't have to get any special programs to run apps the 90% of the population uses.

What build is it, is it a 2008 MBP?

No idea....here is the info from System Profiler thing

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.41f2

Really the only reason I have one is work bought MBP's for us. If I had to buy a laptop myself, it 120% wouldn't be a MBP

No idea....here is the info from System Profiler thing

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.41f2

Really the only reason I have one is work bought MBP's for us. If I had to buy a laptop myself, it 120% wouldn't be a MBP

That is a late 2008 MBP, the 7hr battery came in the 2009 MBP.

MB990*/A, MB991*/A, MC118*/A, MB985*/A, MB986*/A, or MC226*/A

I think these are the model numbers for mid 2009 MacBook Pros with 7-8 hr battery.

Only the 17in model from late 08 had the battery, then apple in June 09 released the entire line of MacBook Pros with the 7-8 hr battery, so if you bought it after June you should have it.

Another way to tell is if your MBP has a 1 piece bottom you have the battery, if it has the removeable cover to take the battery out, you do not have it.