Small Business Server Questions:

iwishiwascool

My company needs a new server. The OS drive is completely full which is starting to impact the network. The local company wants between 9k-14k for new hardware and labor to merge the old data to a new system. Give me an effing break.

There are 8 PCs on the network and 4 printers. No exchange, outlook, or calendar sharing. Quickbooks and a design program are the only programs that are housed on the server and accessed universally. Security (both data integrity and from theft) and VPN ability are the primary concerns. Availability for data storage is a close second. Backups will be done weekly to external TB drives so RAID arrays are an unnecessary burden.

10 years ago I worked in IT on the Hardware side of network maintenance but never got into the initial build of servers and even if I did I probably wouldn't remember. I need help.

What kind of hardware do we need? How hard would it be to reinstall Server2003 or a Unix based OS and rebuild this mess efficiently?

Does anyone have a small (licensed/bonded) business that provides these services for a reasonable fee?

Building a server 03 box is cake. You can likely keep your hardware too.

*Edit* Pending on how much storage, etc you need, you can pick up a used dell box for under 2k probably. I would format the disks and reload the OS on it though for a fresh slate, then move whatever you need. This could be accomplished for probably all under 5k.

If you're content with your current hardware other than the drive space issues, why not add more drive space?

---

An enterprise that size can get away with a $1-2k server depending on options and warranty. Maybe even significantly less depending on what's on sale, etc.

You can re-install Server 2003 legally as long as you remove the old server within 30 days.

I would not recommend UNIX for this enterprise. I'm assuming that you're already in Active Directory for the current setup? If not, I would setup the new enterprise with AD.

I'm neither licensed nor bonded but I have been working in this kind of environment for many years with an extensive resume to back it up. I'll be happy to discuss your current setup or even have a look and discuss a quote. Feel free to PM me.

I don't know, I haven't cracked the case yet but it is a solid 10 years old. I am concerned with my ability to keep the exact functionality of the old system. Ex: I'm sure it is providing DHCP service should I just mimic the old settings?

Given what you've written here, you have a business decision to make. Can you save money and afford downtime/configuration play time/reconfiguration time? If not, you'll want to contract with someone who can help you transfer and get it right the first time.

Given what you've written here, you have a business decision to make. Can you save money and afford downtime/configuration play time/reconfiguration time? If not, you'll want to contract with someone who can help you transfer and get it right the first time.

I agree.

The IT side of these issues is always pretty cut and dry, and most IT people will want to sell you everything they can do to make it 100% perfect (in their eyes) so I'm not surprised by the ~10k quote. The hard part is walking the business-case and assisting decision makers with the most appropriate choice for the situation. The world needs more IT people who speak business as well as technology. :)