R/C cars

03zoomzoom

I have a tamiya AWD or 4WD electric Mustang Cobra with a futaba radio I assembled but never really did anything with outside of my driveway a few times which got boring (I never even painted the body it is still clear), does this crcrc place have a class for street cars or anyone know where they do race them?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might have to check them out. So far I've only been to the 2 hobbytown stores (gahanna & hilliard) and hurricane hobbies (polaris). I saw a how-to the other day to turn a 4-tec into a rally car. Something about changing the control arms to a stadum truck and putting some larger wheels on. It is susposed to give that car a slightly higher stance and the ability to go slightly off road.

Apparently there is an RC shop on Gender Rd that just opened a new offroad track, and they are working on an indoor carpet track for on-road cars.

http://www.enhobbies.com/

Might have to check them out. So far I've only been to the 2 hobbytown stores (gahanna & hilliard) and hurricane hobbies (polaris). I saw a how-to the other day to turn a 4-tec into a rally car. Something about changing the control arms to a stadum truck and putting some larger wheels on. It is susposed to give that car a slightly higher stance and the ability to go slightly off road.

I wouldnt ever recommend going back to hurricane unless itsa part that only they can get or you need that day. :thumbdown

I wouldnt ever recommend going back to hurricane unless itsa part that only they can get or you need that day. :thumbdown

I like the guys up at hurricane, but for racing parts Grandview hobbies is where to go.

BTW Racing r/c cars is way more involved than just bsing around your front yard. If you have any interest in the hobby I urge you to come by the track in Hilliard and see for yourself.

Here is a short clip of me at the ohio state fair race during practice. My car is green and white, the camera doesn't find me until about half way into the clip but you can get an idea of the track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0JZNhN-ksY

This was a "big" race. The local club track we have in hilliard is much smaller, but still very fun.

I want the hpi savage.

used to have 2. then sold my truck. now i just have the car. but we havnt touched it in years. its that traxxis car. it hits like 80 mph. jj just bought one too.

I just got the HPI Savage XL 5.9. about 3 weeks ago.

right after break-in, just as I was starting to tune it the transmission went out. rebuilt it. and busted again. Bought a complete transmision, installed it and run one tank of fuel through it. somewhere in between all that I busted a tie-rod mount. But what was fun!

I have been out of the R/C world for about 14 years now. This is my first Nitro.

way back when, I had a few. Clodbuster, Rustler, grasshopper, hornet, rc10.

Monday I ordered another Rustler. Should be here tomorrow!

I want the hpi savage.

I'll sell you a destroyed e-savage :D

I missed the ramp while screwing around one day and it hit the curb at full speed. (Psh, women drivers...) Just bought $90 worth of parts for it to put it back together but I really don't feel like it...

Everything you need, charger, batteries, remote, and $90 worth of parts to make it work again :p

Here's mine:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/smdalton/DSC00223.jpg

1984 Daytona from Radio Shack. It tops out at about 3mph, downhill with a tailwind. It does NOT do jumps, mainly because it is so slow that what happens after leaving the edge of the ramp can only be described by the word, "PLUMMET." But it does have sentimental value, and is oddly fun to toddle about on tile floors.

About... 12-13yrs ago I had a RC10GT. Lynx 2ch AM, Nova Rossi CX.12, all the titanium junk you can think of, MIP Shiny CVD's, 4n1 clutch, HD Steel bell and spur, nitride diff balls, and the list went on and on. I used to race it out there at Dirt Country and Full Throttle in Eastgate. I accidentally took home a transponder once lol.

It never did corner worth a lick and I just NOW, this very minute realized why. I used to have to tighten down the diff so hard because it would slip too much, that I must have locked it up. Well, I know not to ever do that again lol.

I just got the HPI Savage XL 5.9. about 3 weeks ago.

right after break-in, just as I was starting to tune it the transmission went out. rebuilt it. and busted again. Bought a complete transmision, installed it and run one tank of fuel through it. somewhere in between all that I busted a tie-rod mount. But what was fun!

Same advice as I gave the other guy, sign up over at http://www.hpisavageforum.com. The 3spd can be pretty touchy to get tuned, and a couple companies make rear hub carriers to replace the upright/knuckle set up on the rear. Just don't mention the Rustler...lol

I've been trying to find a nitro truck recentally. I got a feeling I'll be able to learn a little easier with a big truck that can take a hit once and a while.

It would certainly help you learn how to put it back together if it breaks. But (depending on what you get) if you buy the biggest truck out there that you can find it won't necessarily help you learn how to drive....

If you get a big ass truck with huge POS tires and the biggest engine you can find, it will be all over the place (sure it'll take a hit but you won't be learning how to drive). If you REALLY want to learn how to drive and have your mind set on starting with a truck, go with a truggy IMO.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_44_1256/n/Cars-Trucks-Car-Kits-Nitro-1-8-Truggy-Kits

Oh trust me, I'm getting really good at putting this thing back together. I like the truggy, seems like it would take a hit, but with a low center of gravity would be easy to drive. The only thing that concerns me is the long and unprotected control arms. The guy at the hobby store warned me that they tend to break. Oh well, if I can find one for a good price I'll get one. I need something to mess around with off road.

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently there is an RC shop on Gender Rd that just opened a new offroad track, and they are working on an indoor carpet track for on-road cars.

http://www.enhobbies.com/

The owner of that EN hobbies is the son of the owners of Eastside Nursery in Groveport. The track is off Groveport rd just east of Groveport, I don't think the store is located in the strip mall off Gender any longer. I was past there last week and it was empty.