GPS Units

Orion

Want to get one as a gift, but beyond the fact that they all are built to tell you how to get somewhere, I know almost nothing about them. Someone school me on what I should be looking for, what features are important, what to stay away from, etc.

Not too up the latest so many may already have this but:

1. Get one that talks to you and tells you turn-by-turn. IMO, you'll use that more than actually looking at the screen. I use my Blackberry all the time and rarely need the screen.

2. Get one that has maps pre-loaded. MOst likely do, but you don't want to have to mess with loading them on a card.

3. Look into cordless ones. They drain fast, but for trips less than 3 hrs., makes things nice.

4. Mounting....be sure to study how they mount and get one that fits your dash/windshield well. I know on my GXP, the dash mount bean-bag was okay, but the dash was so arched and slanted it never sat as nice as it does in other cars. Thankfully my MS3 holds mine well.

5. Touch Screen/remote. I have an older Garmin 2620 and love the fact that it has a remote control. I don't have to reach across to touch the screen. Not sure if many have them though.

6. The 2620 also has plenty of way points and locations to save. I have several hundred customers in there so I don't need to keep keying them in. Look into that if it's appropriate for the recipients end use. I used mine for work so it was.

There are a few things I can think of.

Garmin all the way. Just personal opinion but I think they are the most user friendly strictly from a "newb" standpoint. I dont need fancy but storing locations is a breeze. I think mine is accurate to within about 2-3 foot.

I have a Nuvi 205. It does turn by turn does not say street name just when to turn.

I have a tomtom and go all over the US with mine (including hawaii). It gets me close to where I want to be.

Some annoyances. It doesn't know which side of the street things are on. The maps are VERY out of date and cost $100 to bring up to date (after a year). It takes FOREVER to find the damn satellites.