Magic Jack

Sully

I'm dropping $35 per month for my home phone through Insight. It would be pretty sweet to only pay a couple bucks a month, but not if it's not at least somewhat reliable.

Anyone have it? How is it working out for you? Any problems? Pros and Cons?

my buddies dad has it, but honestly, i havent talked to him in 4-5 months. he said he liked it when i last talked to him, but i dont know how long he had it at that time

do you have any need for a home phone? i havent had a home phone since i lived with my parents. everything is thru my cell phone.

I just bought one on Black Friday for $30. It works awesome, you just need to have high speed internet, a open USB port and your computer on for it to work.

The sound quality is just like a real phone. I've made about a dozen calls now and everyone says I sound the same.

I highly recommend it!

do you have any need for a home phone? i havent had a home phone since i lived with my parents. everything is thru my cell phone.

Yes. I have a security system that needs a phone line. Plus all of my family is out of state and mostly out west, so I use the home phone to talk to them instead of running up the minutes on my cell.

http://www.voipreview.org/review/magicjack

Not much positive from what I have read.

I guess if you have a POS PC laying around you don't mind running 24x7, that it could be okay to put the Magic Jack on that. I sure as hell wouldn't put it on my main desktop. Doesn't sound like an overly reliable device either.

That, and your average consumer has no fucking clue on how to wire in home phone wiring into a VOIP connection. Most consumers can't even disconnect the ILEC from the DMARC, let alone do any wiring fixes most homes require to reliably have VOIP through the existing wiring.

Yes. I have a security system that needs a phone line. Plus all of my family is out of state and mostly out west, so I use the home phone to talk to them instead of running up the minutes on my cell.

Unless you understand how to wire phone, and how to wire phone lines correctly into a 31x jack, you should NOT take on that task yourself, as you will have no clue on how to obtain line seizure. Hell, half of the alarm installers are clueless on how to wire VOIP for line seizure.

Unless you understand how to wire phone, and how to wire phone lines correctly into a 31x jack, you should NOT take on that task yourself, as you will have no clue on how to obtain line seizure. Hell, half of the alarm installers are clueless on how to wire VOIP for line seizure.

Do you know how to do it?

Yes, I am VERY good at it. That said, I will not wire up Magic Jack for anyone. I will be happy to hook you up with a far better product (WOW Phone) for a reasonable price.

+1 The WOW guys knew exactly what to do back when we got hooked up to them through Joe. I'd love to save even more money too, but in reality, $35mo for full phone with zero Long Distance is pretty cheap. Especially when you consider it just plain works every time.

I've been waiting to do this, but not until they can port your old number. I hardly use my home phone and would love to cancel it, but my wife won't hear of it. :( So as soon as Magic Jack can port my old home number, I'm getting it. For the maybe once a day my home phone gets used, it would be worth it to me... :nod:

Yes. I have a security system that needs a phone line.

Most alarm companies nowadays offer cellular as a backup or even primary line. I worked for an alarm company at my last job many years ago (~12 years), before cell service really came down in price, and it was pretty reasonably priced even then.

Yes, I am VERY good at it. That said, I will not wire up Magic Jack for anyone. I will be happy to hook you up with a far better product (WOW Phone) for a reasonable price.

Bwahahaha!!! If you are able to have WOW run a line all the way out to my house just for me, I'll forget about magic jack and switch all of my cable/internet/phone services from Insight to WOW.

That being said, when I get magic jack, would you be able to hook up the lines for me so that my security system and wall jacks work?

• 1 month later...
Bwahahaha!!! If you are able to have WOW run a line all the way out to my house just for me, I'll forget about magic jack and switch all of my cable/internet/phone services from Insight to WOW.

That being said, when I get magic jack, would you be able to hook up the lines for me so that my security system and wall jacks work?

just run the line from it into a jack. rob has 1/2 the building running one like that :confused:

Guest Removed

shit works fine for what im doing with it.

i ran one wire into one jack, and it made the other jacks work...so i dont see why its so hard to wire up..but the pc has to be on to get incoming calls..only down side to it

Does anyone run this on a laptop that's running on a wireless router? I would like to do this, but want to know if I can run it off this set up.

Yep..been running mine like this for about two years...no problems. I usually reboot it once a month when I throw on the new Windows Updates though.

Like I said, we have had this for about two years. For the cost of this service it is a no-brainer. We use our cells for all the cell to cell calls and then use this service for anything that is not "in" calling. This allows us to bump our cell phone plan to the lowest minute plan and literally pays for its self and then some....

We have a bunch of cordless phones that dont even need a phone line to work, just plug the main unit into the magic jack, take the other base units around wherever you want them and poof...your done.