Audi Guys, need your input!

Trjackson

Hey guys, I did do a search on AudiForum's and on here, but couldn't really find a whole lot of info on them.

The one I am looking at is an 01 audi a6 avant wagon. For all the audi experts, what are the pro's and con's?

What worries me is the mileage, it has 172k on it. They claim to have all the service records, is there any specific questions I need to ask about the car? IF I purchase this, what is the expected mileage of a good running a6?

I am sure I will think of some more questions, so I will post as I think of them.

Thanks guys!

Ty

I just did a bunch of research on those actually. They are pretty sweet in my opinion. The BIGGEST thing I can think of.. make CERTAIN 100% that the timing belt was recently done especially since those miles are so high. I saw some of those guys well into the 200k range and still running strong.

Have the turbos checked for play as well.

Other than those couple things Im still a rookie with those Audis.

I looked into these also when I wanted an Allroad 6-speed for the wife. If it's an automatic (like most are), you need to watch out for any slippage or past transmission service at 170k miles.

They sound great on paper, but as with any VW/Audi product (my Passat included) you are taking a parts/labor risk when buying a high-mileage example.

What engine does it have?

Thats the big question

I think they only came with the 2.8, which is very reliable.

2.7 and you got yourself a detuned S4. They are more reliable than S4's because it is detuned and the engine bay is larger allowing for better cooling of the turbos. They are reliable, but something will probably go wrong at one point.

V8's are very reliable also.

Look at the service records and make sure the timing belt and waterpump has been replaced.

The 2.8s are solid motors. Decent power, mine got 25mpg summer and 20mpg winter regardless of city/highway driving. Check the axleshafts for boot tearing, because there are 2 per axle and if they are driven torn for long enough they'll need replaced. Good cars though.

The 2.8s are solid motors. Decent power, mine got 25mpg summer and 20mpg winter regardless of city/highway driving. Check the axleshafts for boot tearing, because there are 2 per axle and if they are driven torn for long enough they'll need replaced. Good cars though.

When my Passat 2.8L blew both front axles boots (lowered cars have that problem), I bought both new halfshafts from http://www.raxles.com. They were seriously solid units that I know will last the life of the car. Not a difficult job to do either.

The timing belt is a bitch of a job...took me 16 solid hours (on a weekend, well into the wee hours of the morning) to do. However, it can be done and http://www.blauparts.com has a loaner tool kit with everything you need to do the job without screwing everything up. At 170k miles, I would seriously consider it being done immediately if it hasn't been done yet.

When my Passat 2.8L blew both front axles boots (lowered cars have that problem), I bought both new halfshafts from http://www.raxles.com. They were seriously solid units that I know will last the life of the car. Not a difficult job to do either.

The timing belt is a bitch of a job...took me 16 solid hours (on a weekend, well into the wee hours of the morning) to do. However, it can be done and http://www.blauparts.com has a loaner tool kit with everything you need to do the job without screwing everything up. At 170k miles, I would seriously consider it being done immediately if it hasn't been done yet.

I've gotten axles from Carquest for like $70 before, but they dont last long on my car. I got solid axles from JHM and they are holding up pretty good. Raxles is what a lot of people use also.

The 2.8 must be a lot different than the 2.7, RymerC and I did my timing belt/water pump in no time. I had to buy the cam holding tool which I wasnt very happy about, wish I knew about blauparts renting tools.

No thats a good price as long as its in good shape.

Less than half than what I paid for mine, stupid depreciation :mad:

That's the best and worst thing about Audis.

Also, I'm 99% sure the TB job is the same on 2.8 vs. 2.7, actually easier on the 2.8 (because no boost pipes yo!). The front axles are REALLY easy to change out, takes seriously 30mins per side if you loaf. They can be found cheap too.

$6k for an S4 is good, I'd ALMOST buy a b5 at that price point, but I'd rather get one for $4k or $5k with sketchy turbos, since they'll need done anyway.