Any Dell LapTop wiz kids out there?

Gump

Inspiron 1000

Works fine then just freezes up. The mouse is there but it won't move. Ctrl+Alt+Del does not work. I have to hold the power button down for ten seconds to shut it off. Sometimes that does not work and i have to remove all power. Sometimes this thing pops up stating that i am running out of virtual memory and that it is increasing my amount of virtual memory? When that happens has nothing to do with it when it locks up. They are independent. It locks up randomly whenever. I could be on for 5 minutes or an hour.

i would start there. back up all your personal files and put in that disc that makes the lappy go back to factory condition and wipe everything clean. if theres no recovery disc like that just put in your windows disc and wipe the drive manually.

im assuming this laptop is over a year old or more, so correct me if im wrong.

Well, with ~25% of your HD free, you shouldn't be impacting VM too often, unless you are running several applications simultaneously. I concur with Benyen and do some housekeeping, then maybe run a windows and driver update. Let us know what you find.

I would start w/ msconfig and uncheck a few items in the start up tab before you reformat the hard drive. Sounds like you just have a shit load of programs, adware, spyware running in the background eating up RAM

I've seen operating systems do this from aggressive viruses. A scan with superantispyware, spybot, and malwarebyte would bring it back if it was. But you'd have to download those on another computer, and take them to that computer. You'll have to boot to safe mode to run the initial scans, since it won't boot currently. Or stop startups and services in diagnostics mode if safe mode won't let you install. You might not even be able to download updates until it settles down and lets you.

Or just back it up and wipe it out and start over. Programs and op sys are lost.

I can still download while it's working. You sparked my memory. This all started months ago when i loaded a burnt cd of white water rafting. I ejected the disk as soon as it froze everything. Then i had to reboot 10 times before it would quit freezing up. Spybot now has some kind of error when it scans and never gets to finish. Maybe i'll try and remove spybot then reinstall.

Things to do / check about the hard locking up.

Check for a bios update - probably won't fix your issue - but a good idea none the less.

Dell Support

Put in your Tag #. It is on a sticker on the bottom. If you can't find the sticker or it is worn away power on the laptop, hit F2 at the bios screen and go into the setup.

Reseat your RAM. When you take the module out, blow the connector and the module off with canned air. Make sure the fan(s) is running. If you've never formatted your HD the diags should be on the HD, or they're on the system disk that came with the laptop.

F12 at bootup, choose system tools or boot from CD to run.

Let me know if you need more help.

i did this:

if you have the adobe speed launch (installed by adobe reader), remove that stupid thing... useless memory hog that has locked more than a few machines in my time.

and updated the Bios and the drivers thru Dell Support.

And it still locked up. I don't know how to get to the Ram to reseat it.