Bentley Turbo R

Igor

I don't know if its just me. But I've always wanted a Bentley Turbo R after seeing Rushmore. Anybody else?

http://www.wheelconcepts.com/images/bentley%20w%2020%20classics.jpg

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/modelpicture.php?id=7765

And for anybody wondering how much these things are still worth:

http://www2.diamondlot.com/dls/inventory/VehicleDetailSlideshow.aspx?cind=1&vehicle_id=1169978

That is all.

(I Finally figured out the movie the car was from, its been bothering me) lol.

I owned one for 7 years, and yes, they are magnificent automobiles. But you need to consider that the purchase price is really just a down payment -- the real expenses are in the upkeep.

I have a friend in Delaware who owns about 20 exotics and does 95% of the work on them himself. Every Rolls, Ferrari, Jag, and Lambo he has is "jury rigged" and I wouldn't trust any of them to make it to Cleveland and back.

The proper maintenance on this era Rolls/Bentley (called the SZ series) will run about 15k per year for a car in excellent condition. I've known of two people who inherited cars such as these which were not in top shape and found that to put them into top condition would cost 50k.

Just for example, the brakes and suspension run on a mineral oil system pressurized to 1600 psi (no master cylinder: instead there are multiple pumps, accumulators, and spheres). This system needs expert servicing at regular intervals, and every inch of the lines is replaced every 4 years. In this respect, it's more like owning an airplane because the idea is that you replace before castastrophic failure. If you're far from home and your car "fails to proceed" (as the manual describes it), it's flatbedded home. This isn't a car you turn over to the local AAA mechanic.

Tires are Avon Turbo Speeds, the only tire that can support the car's mass and yet still deliver the performance. Mounted and balanced, they run about a grand apiece.

When the cars get older, some people buy them for peanuts and swap other motors/trannies, but you really don't have the real McCoy then, and to me it's just a replica car at that point.

In this photo, the car on the left was 10 years old and weighed 3 tons; the car to the right was brand new and weighed 1900 lbs. The car on the left is faster :)

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/MartysToys.jpg

• Upvote 1

ours has had the accumlators replaced twice, the diff. replaced, rebuilt brake pumps twice, motor mounts replaced, gas springs replaced, all the recommended maint. done, steering rack replaced, cv joints replaced, injectors and fuel rail cleaned----all done by mag and there is more in not listing

also my grandfather owns a rolls royce and bentley repair/restoration shop and has had his cars win pebble beach, he just replaced the entire brake system that doc mentioned- our family cost was 4k

Todd needs to give this guy a call. After about $800 of his time, I bet the guy could get an extra $1,500-$2,000 out of it.

i bet that car needs a lot of maintance. look at the dash its coming apart, the windshield has scratches all over it, the rear drivers seat has the leater ripped on it. im sure that car needs maintance. hell okay save 2-3k but to service these types of cars you can get a 5-7k bill EASILY.

DO NOT BUY A ROLLS OR BENTLEY just because its a rolls or a bentley. They require at like 15-20k a year in maintance just like doc said.

We Fix coffee makers and espresso machines

We are behind the motts military museum

Any repaired and semi-entry level Espresso machines laying around that need sold? I need to replace the one I bought for my wife after I had to return in due to leaking (was just an $80 stainless steel GE 15 bar pump unit that ended up being discontinued). I'm looking to spend about $100 or less (I don't drink filtered dirt, and she isn't real picky on the taste).

I have loved Turbo R's for years but I am not lying when I say that Doc's (post #4) comments have put me off of them pretty much for good.

I'd be curious what he thinks about XJ40 Jaguars. Specifically a '93. :) The Bentley mineral-oil pressurized hydraulic system reminds me of the old M-B 450SEL 6.9L, as well as most 70's/80's Jags...nightmares to say the least if work isn't properly done.

I have loved Turbo R's for years but I am not lying when I say that Doc's (post #4) comments have put me off of them pretty much for good.

I'd be curious what he thinks about XJ40 Jaguars. Specifically a '93. :) The Bentley mineral-oil pressurized hydraulic system reminds me of the old M-B 450SEL 6.9L, as well as most 70's/80's Jags...nightmares to say the least if work isn't properly done.

Jaguar produced some really fine XJ's. I never owned one pre-1998, but close friends did. When well-sorted out, they are handsome, dependable cars. Improperly maintained, well, ownership would be a burdensome adventure -- I'm thinking along the lines of a field trip to Mordor.

Of all the XJ line, the XJ40 years are my least favorite. These were produced in the last days before Ford takeover and continued in the early Ford ownership period. IMHO, the worst of both worlds: an attempt at modern design and relinquishing the classic Jag look, still mostly outdated powerplants and substandard wiring (The joke was that Jaguar headlight switches had 6 positions: Off, Flicker, Dim, Smoke, Smolder, and Ignite). But even though I say that, I was sorely tempted to purchase a Daimler Majestic that someone located for me, but the condition was not as pristine as described.

The Series III (1992 and older) was much more classic to my eye, although still a pain to keep running properly.

I owned 4 Jags, all from 1998-2003, all purchased new. One XJ8L, one Vanden Plas, one XK8 and one XKR. All with either the 4L V8 or the 4.2L V8, one supercharged. These were all first-rate cars, utterly dependable. Each XK had a single, serious warranty issue and both were perfect after that. The XJ sedans were perfect during the whole time I owned them. Each got around 40-60k miles on its clock during the years I had them. These cars are quite affordable now, and I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one in good condition.

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, and maybe much more than you cared to know, but it's my best answer to your question. Bottom line, though, if your heart is set on getting an XJ40, and you can find one in good condition at a bargain price, go for it. :thumbup:

Jaguar produced some really fine XJ's. I never owned one pre-1998, but close friends did. When well-sorted out, they are handsome, dependable cars. Improperly maintained, well, ownership would be a burdensome adventure -- I'm thinking along the lines of a field trip to Mordor.

Of all the XJ line, the XJ40 years are my least favorite. These were produced in the last days before Ford takeover and continued in the early Ford ownership period. IMHO, the worst of both worlds: an attempt at modern design and relinquishing the classic Jag look, still mostly outdated powerplants and substandard wiring (The joke was that Jaguar headlight switches had 6 positions: Off, Flicker, Dim, Smoke, Smolder, and Ignite). But even though I say that, I was sorely tempted to purchase a Daimler Majestic that someone located for me, but the condition was not as pristine as described.

The Series III (1992 and older) was much more classic to my eye, although still a pain to keep running properly.

I owned 4 Jags, all from 1998-2003, all purchased new. One XJ8L, one Vanden Plas, one XK8 and one XKR. All with either the 4L V8 or the 4.2L V8, one supercharged. These were all first-rate cars, utterly dependable. Each XK had a single, serious warranty issue and both were perfect after that. The XJ sedans were perfect during the whole time I owned them. Each got around 40-60k miles on its clock during the years I had them. These cars are quite affordable now, and I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one in good condition.

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear, and maybe much more than you cared to know, but it's my best answer to your question. Bottom line, though, if your heart is set on getting an XJ40, and you can find one in good condition at a bargain price, go for it. :thumbup:

EXCELLENT info, Doc! I've been in love with the X300 series for a few years now. You have a PM...