Need someones Help Sunday to help with inspection of a House

Twistedrx7

I know a lot of guys on here have worked on new builds or inspected houses. I am looking for someone that might be able to come out tomorrow around noon and take a look at 2 houses with me and the GF. One house is pretty sold and the other needs some work.

I can give you some money for your time, basically i want to know what all we might need to replace. A certified inspector would be great. If you know of anyone that can help me out let me know, i know it is sort notice.

Thanks Jake

Unless you are available. I know that you talk a mean game when it comes to knowing about houses?

I could tell if you if it's a POS or not, but I would still suggest a licensed inspector. We had a salaried inspector who would walk through the houses before permit inspections. Their job is to look for flaws, my job was to get it built right in the first place.

Plus new build inspection is different than a used home. I have no idea how to inspect for certain things that come with a 5-10-15 yr old house.

Anyways, with that upfront, PM me and I'll send you my # and I may or may not be free tomorrow. My GF gets back into town from Buffalo at some point during the day.

I could tell if you if it's a POS or not, but I would still suggest a licensed inspector. We had a salaried inspector who would walk through the houses before permit inspections. Their job is to look for flaws, my job was to get it built right in the first place.

Plus new build inspection is different than a used home. I have no idea how to inspect for certain things that come with a 5-10-15 yr old house.

Anyways, with that upfront, PM me and I'll send you my # and I may or may not be free tomorrow. My GF gets back into town from Buffalo at some point during the day.

Alright not a problem, both houses are off of taylor and havens corners for the most part. I do have one question for you. When a basement is being done and the walls are being poured, yet they make it a partial basement. Wouldnt that poured foundation wall still go down as far as the rest of the house? ( on the partial side) Since there is just dirt in it now and rock i wasnt sure how deep that wall actually went.

Alright not a problem, both houses are off of taylor and havens corners for the most part. I do have one question for you. When a basement is being done and the walls are being poured, yet they make it a partial basement. Wouldnt that poured foundation wall still go down as far as the rest of the house? ( on the partial side) Since there is just dirt in it now and rock i wasnt sure how deep that wall actually went.

Are you referring to a crawlspace, as in perhaps you would want to finish excavating the space to make a larger basement?

It is possible to have a builder that excavated and placed full depth walls in the area of a crawlspace. However the majority that I have seen are not. It is not impossible to excavate the area but it can be a daunting task which could be very costly. The easiest of which would be sledding or conveying the dirt out. But its not just that easy. The trick is not disturbing the soil below which the footings rest. Loads transfers from the footings are straight down and at a 45 degree angle. You cannot disturb any of the soil in that 45 degree area(undermine the footings). It is possible to excavate the center of the space, support the center of the house and add new footings and walls. But this is a costly endeavor. One of which I would think you would need to get a house for a super deal to even consider. If you still like the house but choose not to excavate, keep in mind that crawlspaces are known for moisture problems. There are 2 types. Vented and non vented crawlspaces. Non vented typically require conditioning of the air such as with a dehumidifier. A vented space has vents for cross ventilation. A crawlspace should have 1sqft of ventilation for every 150sqft of space. There should also be a 6 mil thick poly vapor barrier on the ground, overlapped, and sealed along the walls. Most people then add gravel atop this for protection.

Also keep in mind that a project like this would be nearly impossible to undertake in todays cities without permits, and meeting certain regulations such as egress, insulation, inspections...... All of which will add to the overall projects costs.

i believe it has some of those things listed i cannot remember. They are diyanni homes and crossman communities houses.

Ive read about the 45 degree angle thing. And if they didnt take the wall all the way down there really isnt a point in digging it out at all. 45 degrees at 3 feet off the ground or 2.5ft isnt much room once it hits the ground. However if it does go down all the way i could see it being worth it.

Is there a good way to see how far it actually goes down? I would assume i would have to dig till i saw zero concrete.

Pull the prints. And like I said, the space can be supported and braced while the walls and footers are added. It is possible but you just have to decide how much money you want to throw at it. I have a crawlspace and will never understand why with how little it would cost at the time of construction, why they even do them nowadays.

In central ohio, in terms of cost, from cheapest to most expensive you are looking at

1. slab block

2. slab poured

3. partial block

4. partial poured

5. full block

6. full poured.

Although it's been a few years, partial poured may be just as much as full block.