Machine Shop - Block Prep

theweiser1

I'm looking for a local machine shop to prep my 4.6l block for a rebuild. Can you recommend someone?

Also I read a few posts about Fowler Engines being good but they take a while. What should I expect to pay for services such as this?

Fowler

Fast racing

Columbus col-weld(harrisburg pike)

central ohio engines (behind jegs on 11th)

all will have different pricing

I called central ohio engines and Fowler. Spoke with Jeff at Fowler their rates seem reasonable and he offered a lot of additional information with regards to the rebuild the other didn't offer.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn

M&m Machine hands down mike rush stands behind his work 100%, you do not make magazines for great builds for nothing.

+1 based on many other I know that have had work done there, though I have always used Fast Racing and have been very pleased.

To hell with Phillips racing, go somewhere else.

They did a decent job, but they suck to deal with.

never had any issues but i also know a friend whos brother works there so i have never had an issue. I manly have Fast racing do stuff for me because the builder is a good friend of my family. Only shop i havent herd good stuff from is M&M herd a couple horror stories from some people on other sites.

never had any issues but i also know a friend whos brother works there so i have never had an issue. I manly have Fast racing do stuff for me because the builder is a good friend of my family. Only shop i havent herd good stuff from is M&M herd a couple horror stories from some people on other sites.

What kind of issues have you herd about them? Every machine shop has horror storys because no matter what happens something will happen in time.

Fowler has a my friends 4.6 setup right now and doing the shortblock work and assembly. They have been pretty quick getting things done, Im sure they will do work with my motors soon enough( just waiting for the 2v to top the windows the 4v made this summer)

What kind of issues have you herd about them? Every machine shop has horror storys because no matter what happens something will happen in time.

Gut on ohio hondas wrote a Novel about how they screwed him over 3 times with the same motor then took it to phillips and they ended up fixing the final issues. Another person had a similar issue with there sleeves sinking and them not fixing the problem (motor wasnt installed).

I have never had any personal use but these guys were in detail with the encounters. I also have no need since i use Fast or Philips.

Gut on ohio hondas wrote a Novel about how they screwed him over 3 times with the same motor then took it to phillips and they ended up fixing the final issues. Another person had a similar issue with there sleeves sinking and them not fixing the problem (motor wasnt installed).

There are ALWAYS 2 sides to a story, one guy on one forum with a story doesnt make a shop bad.

There are ALWAYS 2 sides to a story, one guy on one forum with a story doesnt make a shop bad.

Never said i had a problem with them just said i herd stories. dont know either parties. and it was 2 different incidents on the same fourm. Never said i had a problem with them just said i herd stories. the 3 shops i have delt with i have posted.

Never said i had a problem with them just said i herd stories. dont know either parties. and it was 2 different incidents on the same fourm. Never said i had a problem with them just said i herd stories. the 3 shops i have delt with i have posted.

I could say something bad about almost every vendor on here, from a internet "story" or "someone else " If it personally never happend to me, or from someone close to me , I take it with a grain of salt and keep my mouth closed with out spreading false rumors. Of course since if the shop is "friends " with you they are going to treat you different thats human nature. Like I said before if mike rush puts out bad work he would not be noted as one of the best machines shop's around putting out track proven cars.

That is true and i guess i didnt catch myself spreading the rumor. So sorry and OP dont judge on the comment i said about the other shop. As far as the friends yea i get taken care of but i have still paid and waited. I have no ties with Performance Research but talking with Bob Profit for almost 2 hours will enlighten anyone and also seeing his amazing work.

I called central ohio engines and Fowler. Spoke with Jeff at Fowler their rates seem reasonable and he offered a lot of additional information with regards to the rebuild the other didn't offer.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn

I would go to flower just because I have never had a problem with them. Tell Jeff that Eric from slowmotion sent you! Good luck man!

Thanks,

Eric

Guest Removed

i have had, or seen issue's if most of the machine shops in this thread.

every one makes mcsteaks...its how its handled in the end that keeps my business.

being able to tell them what you want, and getting it. i rather talk to the guy machining the parts to tell him what i want.

• 2 months later...
I would go to flower just because I have never had a problem with them. Tell Jeff that Eric from slowmotion sent you! Good luck man!

Thanks,

Eric

I'm curious... with respect to the 4.6, does fowler and M&M recommend boring the 4.6 .020 over? After talking with I believe it was Jeff at Fowler ... he recommended boring 0.020 over but a lot of the companies especially livernois that sell forged rotating assemblies do not recommend boring over if it can be avoided. They stated its a good idea to keep the cylinder walls as thick as possible on the 4.6 for boosted applications.

Just wondering what the stance is for both M&M and fowler.

Guest Removed
I'm curious... with respect to the 4.6, does fowler and M&M recommend boring the 4.6 .020 over? After talking with I believe it was Jeff at Fowler ... he recommended boring 0.020 over but a lot of the companies especially livernois that sell forged rotating assemblies do not recommend boring over if it can be avoided. They stated its a good idea to keep the cylinder walls as thick as possible on the 4.6 for boosted applications.

Just wondering what the stance is for both M&M and fowler.

iron block will be fine .020 over..but not a sleeved block from my under standing