Property Insurance Claim Question...

iwishiwascool

Has anyone filed a property insurance claim, particularly a theft claim?

I am troubled by the fact that I don't have receipts for a fairly significant amount of the junk that was taken.

How strict are they about documentation of ownership?

I have Nationwide Homeowners if that sheds light on it...

Has anyone filed a property insurance claim, particularly a theft claim?

I am troubled by the fact that I don't have receipts for a fairly significant amount of the junk that was taken.

How strict are they about documentation of ownership?

I have Nationwide Homeowners if that sheds light on it...

Call your claims adjuster and they will have all your answers. You don't always need receipts for everything. They will probably just send you a check for your loss and you just have to go buy it all over again, or pocket it your choice.

When I spoke to my adjuster she made some cryptic allusion to the fact that there will likely be a "Special Investigation" since I am a new customer (I switched a month ago).

I wonder if that will complicate things.

This is common practice. Just deal with it. 1 of the many major reasons insurance goes up is because of insurance fraud.

I believe it.

My freshly installed fully monitored security system covering every door and window in the house should mitigate my own premium going up next cycle... I hope.

The question is... does dealing with it require that I produce receipts for the items stolen?

I suppose I can locate credit card statements from 2 years ago that would prove it.

I believe it.

My freshly installed fully monitored security system covering every door and window in the house should mitigate my own premium going up next cycle... I hope.

The question is... does dealing with it require that I produce receipts for the items stolen?

I suppose I can locate credit card statements from 2 years ago that would prove it.

Each insurance company is different. You need to ask your agent. Most of the time they just add that you have it and give you a fixed percentage off the total premium and that is it. Some places want paperwork proving you bought it or pay monthly fee.

I lost my wedding ring and had to file with our homeowners. This is a 600.00 ring we are talking about so it was nothing real expensive. I have Metlife and they grilled me so bad. I got treated like I was scamming them or something. I told the lady, if I was scamming you dont you think I would choose something a little more expensive.

I lost my wedding ring and had to file with our homeowners. This is a 600.00 ring we are talking about so it was nothing real expensive. I have Metlife and they grilled me so bad. I got treated like I was scamming them or something. I told the lady, if I was scamming you dont you think I would choose something a little more expensive.

Jewelry is a little different then losing other personal property such as movies, a TV, refrigerator etc. Most companies will not insure jewelry without an appraisal. If you didn't have one I would understand why they gave you a hard time.

Jewelry is a little different then losing other personal property such as movies, a TV, refrigerator etc. Most companies will not insure jewelry without an appraisal. If you didn't have one I would understand why they gave you a hard time.

I did have an appraisal and so did they. When the wife and I purchased them we insured them right away and Metlife required us to send them copies of the appraisals.

I did have an appraisal and so did they. When the wife and I purchased them we insured them right away and Metlife required us to send them copies of the appraisals.

Well if it is appraised for a stated amount they need to cover it if there is a valid loss. I don't know the back story so I don't know what to say.

They made it right and paid us. I always knew that they would. They just really ran us through the ringer. I eventually talked to a manager and she apologised to me. The claims adjuster I believe started asking me about my income and what kind of car i drive. She said she need to know my income because if i didnt make enough then they would deny the claim because I was probably lying. It was crazy man. I told her dont you think if I was gonna file a false claim that I would have chosen the wifes ring instead of my cheap ass ring.

They made it right and paid us. I always knew that they would. They just really ran us through the ringer. I eventually talked to a manager and she apologised to me. The claims adjuster I believe started asking me about my income and what kind of car i drive. She said she need to know my income because if i didnt make enough then they would deny the claim because I was probably lying. It was crazy man. I told her dont you think if I was gonna file a false claim that I would have chosen the wifes ring instead of my cheap ass ring.

WOW, i would've dropped their ass as soon as the check cleared. Thats borderline insulting. Should've kicked that bitch in the cunt.

Ken let us know how that goes, I have Nationwide and was thinking about renter's insurance from them. New furniture, electronics etc... None of it is worth as much as all the stuff that was stolen from you but still, if it is stolen I'd like to be reimbursed.

WOW, i would've dropped their ass as soon as the check cleared. Thats borderline insulting. Should've kicked that bitch in the cunt.

Ken let us know how that goes, I have Nationwide and was thinking about renter's insurance from them. New furniture, electronics etc... None of it is worth as much as all the stuff that was stolen from you but still, if it is stolen I'd like to be reimbursed.

Documentation is key. I take pictures of my stuff and jot down serial numbers of my electronics and other valuables If I no longer have the receipt. I then backup online and place a copy in another location like the safe deposit box. If you have proof then you are usually fine if and when it comes time to file a claim.

My grandpa's wife lost an apparaised $45k ring. The State Farm agent drove to the rest stop in Kentucky where she lost it and looked for it for 12 hours himself, LOL.

He never found it. Some other old lady found it thinking it was a piece of costume jewelry (it's a $45k diamond ring, of course it looks like costume jewelry) and was planning on giving it to her granddaughter when she came to visit. Her husband decided that it was too heavy to be costume jewelry to told her to go get it appraised. She about shit when the jeweler told her how much it was worth. She called the rest stop where she found it and asked if anyone had lost a ring. They gave her the State Farm agent's # so she called him and got her hooked up with my Grandpa's wife. Turns out they were staying like 2 blocks apart from each other in Naples.

My friends just went through this a few months ago when there apartment was broken into while they were over painting there house they just purchased. Not sure what company they are using, but their insurance company said as long as it is on the police report, they would cover it.

He never found it. Some other old lady found it thinking it was a piece of costume jewelry (it's a $45k diamond ring, of course it looks like costume jewelry) and was planning on giving it to her granddaughter when she came to visit. Her husband decided that it was too heavy to be costume jewelry to told her to go get it appraised. She about shit when the jeweler told her how much it was worth. She called the rest stop where she found it and asked if anyone had lost a ring. They gave her the State Farm agent's # so she called him and got her hooked up with my Grandpa's wife. Turns out they were staying like 2 blocks apart from each other in Naples.

It's good to see that honest people do still exist in this country. If I found it and found out what it was worth it would have been for sale for 25 grizzle...