Question: Internal Debate

Scotty2Hotty

Consider this:

A.) Keep a paied off 4X4 truck, and buy another fun vehicle to play with every so often.

B.) Sell said truck, buy nicer daily driver to be driven all year long.

I'm leaning towards option B, but I know many on here drive a "beater" per say as a daily, then keep the fun vehicle for the nicer days/weekend.

But those that drive their dream vehicle daily, is it worth it?

I drive my "dream" vehicle daily. I think its worth it, cars are meant to be driven, and I enjoy driving it all the time.

BUT it is nice to have another car for when working on it, it stays nicer, less miles on it etc.

I would ultimately vote option B

I used to do the whole racecar + $500 beater thing, and it just meant that I was either driving around in a stiff, rattly death trap, or an old, smelly POS that broke all the time. Got sick of that.

Moved up to racecar + late model beater (currently an '05 corolla.) It's better, in that if I don't feel like rattling my teeth out I can hop into a comfortable car that I know will start all the time. But it sucks in that it's a fucking corolla.

Once I get a bit more money saved up I'm going to try to convince my wife to upgrade the beater to something like a 3-series wagon. I'll still treat it like a beater, but I've decided that there's no sense in not enjoying the car that you spend 90% of your time in. It just sucks that it's the most expensive option.

Doesn't really answer your question, but I suppose it depends on what you're looking to play with. Ultimately, you're limited in what you can do to something that you drive every day, which is why 1 car won't ever work for me.

i would go with option A if the 4x4 is a reliable vehicle and then get your fun vehicle but really its all up to you and what you will enjoy the most. also have to look at the weather we have and if you will really be able to enjoy option B on days like today .

Consider this:

A.) Keep a paied off 4X4 truck, and buy another fun vehicle to play with every so often.

B.) Sell said truck, buy nicer daily driver to be driven all year long.

I'm leaning towards option B, but I know many on here drive a "beater" per say as a daily, then keep the fun vehicle for the nicer days/weekend.

But those that drive their dream vehicle daily, is it worth it?

B.

I drove the Cobra daily for 3 years and I never want to do that again. I'm lucky that I'm in the position to have a nice daily and the Cobra, but if things changed I would sell it and just have a nice daily.

Without a doubt, B then.

You can get some NICE cars for 30k+, and get to enjoy them everyday.

S4/RS4, M3/335, 535/545/550, E500/E55, C55, Q7, X5, ML, A6 4.2 etc etc

Once you have something like this, its hard to give it up. I value having a nice daily.

Are there any really good mid range fun cars out? Ive noticed you kind of have to get an early 2000 model or pay $45k if you want a year round car with a kick these days....

I've had a small fetish with the 99-03 SVT Lightnings for some reason. Granted, I've been toying around the idea of going all out on a fun luxury vehicle IE. Audi S4, BMW M5 kind of route. But the mid range is deffinately not out of the question. The mid range makes Option A a reality really. I've been thinking more practically as of late. I attribute it to me cresting over the 25 year old cap, but I see in some weird way, me settling within the next 3 years. This is something that will be bought straight up, meaning no payments what so ever.

(PS- A mint SS 4th Gen Camaro isn't out of the question. I kinda miss the T-tops. :cool: )

Without a doubt, B then.

You can get some NICE cars for 30k+, and get to enjoy them everyday.

S4/RS4, M3/335, 535/545/550, E500/E55, C55, Q7, X5, ML, A6 4.2 etc etc

Once you have something like this, its hard to give it up. I value having a nice daily.

The German autos are high on my list at the moment. I'm not canceling out the new Taurus SHO, but I still need to drive one. Yes I said it, Taurus SHO. I see these cars becoming demon children here shortly.

I enjoy having multiple vehicles. I was finally able to buy a decent DD (the Z71 I brought to PPC) and still have the DSM and Civic for toys, which are both paid off. They are so much more fun to only drive occasionally. I vote for Option A.

I've had a small fetish with the 99-03 SVT Lightnings for some reason. Granted, I've been toying around the idea of going all out on a fun luxury vehicle IE. Audi S4, BMW M5 kind of route. But the mid range is deffinately not out of the question. The mid range makes Option A a reality really. I've been thinking more practically as of late. I attribute it to me cresting over the 25 year old cap, but I see in some weird way, me settling within the next 3 years. This is something that will be bought straight up, meaning no payments what so ever.

(PS- A mint SS 4th Gen Camaro isn't out of the question. I kinda miss the T-tops. :cool: )

I say keep the truck so you can tow the fun car after you sup it up to run 9's.

I use my weekender on the weekend, and my daily driver daily. When the weather is nice, drive your weekender as a daily. When the daily days are shitty, use the daily, and keep said weekender in the garage. If you live in Florida, buy a weekender that's kept in the garage during the weekdays in Ohio and use it as a daily driver trash the daily. Keep in mind that you live in Ohio...

So pretty much "don't sh!t where you sleep."

In my humble opinion... of... course.

The German autos are high on my list at the moment. I'm not canceling out the new Taurus SHO, but I still need to drive one. Yes I said it, Taurus SHO. I see these cars becoming demon children here shortly.

The SHO looks great on paper, but isn't my thing. It has all of the boxes checked with regards to features, hp, awd etc.

Go take an Audi A6 4.2/535 to the Ford dealer and compare them back to back and there really isn't much to compare.

The new Taurus is also HUGE on the outside, and fairly cramped on the inside. I couldn't get the front seat back far enough to even think about buying one. The back seat also doesn't have much leg room either.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the new SHO.

The SHO looks great on paper, but isn't my thing. It has all of the boxes checked with regards to features, hp, awd etc.

Go take an Audi A6 4.2/535 to the Ford dealer and compare them back to back and there really isn't much to compare.

The new Taurus is also HUGE on the outside, and fairly cramped on the inside. I couldn't get the front seat back far enough to even think about buying one. The back seat also doesn't have much leg room either.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the new SHO.

I thought the new SHO was absolutely freegahn HUGE... but, being a previous Audi owner, Audi FTW. :nod:

if you sell your truck you will always want it back. so if you go with option b its going to be like a temporary fix, because you will then end up selling it to buy another truck. Ive done it and i see it happen all day (as i sell trucks)