2011 (?) Buick Regal GS

Mallard

The turbo spools quickly because it's small and the cam phasing help even more.

Here's a dyno plot of the LNF engine in the Cobalt. It makes peak torque from 2000 rpm until almost redline. It's only making a couple ft-lb shy of peak at 1500 rpm. The Regal is tuned for higher torque (295 lb-ft), and my thought's are it will get up and go. Go drive a new Fusion AWD Sport. That car is the same size and it makes 263 HP / 249 lb-ft with a V6.

http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2010/gmna/HPT%20Library/Ecotec/2010%20Ecotec%2020L%20LNF%20Cobalt%20SS.pdf

With a compressor wheel swap guys are putting down around 330HP. (Spools pretty much like stock.)

Was waiting for you to chime in. lulz.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This car pisses me right the fuck off. It's a 4-cyl FWD compact. This is NOT what the Regal name should be going on. Call it a fucking Skylark if you want. If they want to bring out a new Regal, make it a RWD midsize, with a V6 base model, and a RWD/AWD turbo V6 top model. Give Buick a car to lead it to success, not drag it downmarket.

This car pisses me right the fuck off. It's a 4-cyl FWD compact. This is NOT what the Regal name should be going on. Call it a fucking Skylark if you want. If they want to bring out a new Regal, make it a RWD midsize, with a V6 base model, and a RWD/AWD turbo V6 top model. Give Buick a car to lead it to success, not drag it downmarket.

Exactly! It's like the people in charge now don't care about the past heritage.

Yeah, whoever named this car has no idea of its heritage. How dare they defile the Regal nameplate with such crap.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/%2790-%2793_Buick_Regal.jpg/800px-%2790-%2793_Buick_Regal.jpg

Seriously. The Regal has always been a small-midsize car, with all of them in the last 20 years being FWD. The last Regal GS was a FWD 3.8L S/C family sedan that got less HP and torque than this new one. At least now it's AWD, you get a manual trans, it doesn't ride like a boat, and the seats don't feel like a cheap la-z-boy.

We live in a world of CAFE standards, CO2 emissions requirements, and platform sharing (in order to keep costs competitive). They have come out with a genuine performace sedan. Not that it matters what it's called, but I'm sure it will live up to the majestic Regal name that you cherish.

Yeah, whoever named this car has no idea of its heritage. How dare they defile the Regal nameplate with such crap.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/%2790-%2793_Buick_Regal.jpg/800px-%2790-%2793_Buick_Regal.jpg

Seriously. The Regal has always been a small-midsize car, with all of them in the last 20 years being FWD. The last Regal GS was a FWD 3.8L S/C family sedan that got less HP and torque than this new one. At least now it's AWD, you get a manual trans, it doesn't ride like a boat, and the seats don't feel like a cheap la-z-boy.

We live in a world of CAFE standards, CO2 emissions requirements, and platform sharing (in order to keep costs competitive). They have come out with a genuine performace sedan. Not that it matters what it's called, but I'm sure it will live up to the majestic Regal name that you cherish.

Stop being logical. They won't understand.

By the same logic, Cadillac never should've gotten out of building 20' long land-yachts. How dare they defile the great name of Cadillac with this new Euro-crap??? :lol:

Speaking of which, I did find the Autoblog article funny when they kept on talking about how unusual the Regal GS is for being a "Buick". What's wrong with trying to reinvent the brand? No one seems to mind that Cadillac has been successful in the SUV arena with the Escalade, and the supersedan world with the CTS-V...

They're not trying to attract the old Regal customer. They're trying to attract TSX & IS250/350 customers. I've worked at a Buick dealership since 2005 and because of the new Buick Lacrosse and the Enclave we've had people who would have gone and bought a TL, ES350, MDX or ES350 coming into our showroom for the first time ever. The Regal should push Buick a little close to those two brands. Edited by GilbWs6

Exactly! It's like the people in charge now don't care about the past heritage.

Listening to the small group of people that watch NASCAR and whine and cry about GM heritage is part of what was killing them. Seeing what the masses actually would be willing to buy, along with figuring out how to not outspend their income is what they need in order to survive. Honestly, that car does look a little down market to me. With how little of a whimper Buick has made in the last couple years, decade even, its possible that the current younger generation has forgotten the whole "grandpa's Buick" thing and would be willing to try this out as an alternative to the teenager friendly Cobalt SS. I will say though, if there is a Grand National version it has to be a two door.

:lol:

To quote Jeremy Clarkson on Buick "It was rubbish when it was new, it was built by idiots, and it’s rubbish now"

I will say though, if there is a Grand National version it has to be a two door.

If they bring out a Grand National based on this thing, I'll burn down a Buick dealer. You wanna talk about pissing on heritage, that would be the STUPIDEST thing they could do short of making a FWD Corvette.

You people don't get what I'm talking about when I complain about this car. It's DOWNMARKET. It's a compact with a four cylinder. When was the last time Buick made a four cylinder compact? The Skylark. Yeah, raging success, that.

Look, go ahead and put the Buick badge on it, fine. Just don't use the Regal name. It doesn't fit, and it precludes using the Regal, GN, GNX, or even T-Type names for a car that's really worthy of them. You want a natural for the GN or GNX name? How about the Holden Coupe60? Some cosmetic tweaking, a waterfall grille, drop the TT 3.6 in it, 400hp, there you go, GN. But no, they're going to use the Regal name on an economy 4cyl compact.

Yeah, calm down the sideskirts, put the exhaust where it belongs, and put a TT V6 in it and tell me this wouldn't be worthy of a revival of the GNX name.

http://www.extremedimensions-osnabrueck.de/bilderfuerhomepage/holden-coupe-60-concept-2008-732889.jpg

It's basically a two door version of the Chinese Park Avenue, which is an upscale brother of the new Chevy Caprice. World cars, already produced, just need cosmetic tweaking to work here.

What are you gonna compare that car against from the same year? There wasn't SHIT sold in America for midsize performance back then except the SHO and the Grand Prix STE. For damned sure, the Japs didn't have anything midsize back then that was worth the recycled tin cans they were made from. Say what you want, that actually was one of the better cars on the market then.