buying car out of state

evan9381

found an old thread, but it was locked due to age.

if i buy a car from out of state, do i pay sales tax on the car in that state, or do i pay it once i get it home to ohio. also, what wasn't really clear, is if i go this route, how do i get tags to get the car home? i remember seeing someone saying they couldnt get temp tags because the car wasn't titled to them. is it one of those things like take your other cars tags and make sure you dont drive like a dick until after you get home and get it registered?

TIA

i *think* you technically have 30 days to transfer your plates/registration to your new car. But yeah, just slap your other plates on the car for the drive home, just be sure to have the notarized title/bill of sale on your person and unless you're driving like a complete jackass, you'll be fine.

and you just pay the sales tax here when you register it in your name if you buy private party. if you buy from a dealership, i think you have the option but most likely they will just collect the taxes that are due for franklin county at time of purchase.

i drove from ATL with NO plates because I forgot my plate when I went out of state with friends to buy a new car, we did 80 and 90mph the entire way home and didn't have one issue.

In ohio anyways there is a time frame like stated above before you are actually required to obtain either your 30 day tags or plates. I wouldnt worry about driving without anything on as long as you have some proof of the date of purchase while driving. In some states you can fill out a non resident affidavit which states you are not a resident of that state and you will be paying your taxes when you title the vehicle back here. A dealership may be a registered seller with the state of ohio and collect tax, and then you would come back here and the title agency will give you credit for the tax paid, or tell you not enough tax was withheld. A dealership who doesnt necessary deal with ohio buyers may just tell you to pay the tax when you get back. As well with the time limit you have to get plates, as long as you have insurance with a company, they are required to ensure your new vehicle for the first 30 days(I think its still 30 days) of ownership, even if they are not notified of the purchase.

As with most things similar to this, I just accept it as a given and move on.

yeah, ive dealt with it before, but really didnt think about it until recently like...hold on...why do i have to pay tax on a product that sales tax has already been paid on?

oh well.

If you know someone who lives in Delaware, Alaska, Oregon, New Hampshire or Montana, register the car there for 90days then transfer it to ohio. Those states dont pay sales tax. However you must somehow prove you were living there when you registered it, or have them transfer it to your name as a gift after 90 days.

If you do use a plate from another vehicle to transport and you get stopped, make sure you say that the vehicle the plate belongs to is sold. The way the law is written, the vehicle has to be sold to use its plate for 30 days.

I agree about the BS of the taxation. I bought my TBSS new back in 2006. I sold it and later bought it back 2 years later. I again had to pay tax on it. Talk about paying tax on something twice. But I can only blame myself.

If you do use a plate from another vehicle to transport and you get stopped, make sure you say that the vehicle the plate belongs to is sold. The way the law is written, the vehicle has to be sold to use its plate for 30 days.

This is correct, you're not supposed to be using plates for a vehicle that is still driven on the road and owned by you.

You're financing this thing right? If you get all of your loan paperwork together and make sure it includes the vin of the new car you can go to the BMV here in Ohio and they'll sell you a 30 day temp tag....problem solved.

Well I just bought my truck here in Florida and yes I had to pay their state tax when I went to the DMV. And since Ohio's state tax is 6.75% Ill get some money back from paying Florida's tax when I have Ohio tags. But the will give you a 30 day tag and you will have that amount of days to get your tags for your Car.

Thanks,

Eric