Thompson Raceway 8.90 index streetcar race

tomcowle

I know this may be a bit of a drive for some but it will be a good show to attend if you want to see or race in a heads-up style arena. We have had a really good response from several racers wanting to attend.

We recently met with Jim Curtis of Thompson Raceway Park to discuss adding an '8.90 heads-up index class' to run at the track and the

meeting went extremely well to say the least. We will be having a 'test session' in early May and if we have a good showing Jim Curtis

will be adding the 8.90 class to run on all of Thompson Raceway's ASPHALT WARS dates!!! (final dates to be announced) Below are the rules

that we presented Jim Curtis for this class.

8.90 OUTLAW STREET GAMBLERS (name suggestion) RULES

BODY/INTERIOR

1. Full-bodied factory street type cars (domestic and import)

2. Working Headlights and Taillights mandatory, this means headlights NOT foglamps

3. NO DRAGSTERS, ROADSTERS, ALTERDS OR CENTER STEER CARS

4. Must be street appearing/no gutted interiors/carpetedinterior even if rear seat is removed (The interior should look clean

andprofessionally done)

5. Must have interior door panels

6. Racecar lettering on windows only (minor exceptions may apply)

7. Back half or stock REAR suspension permitted

8. Windows, Lexan permitted (Roll down windows optional)

9. Must have stock style front suspension

10. No full round or square tube chassis cars

11. Any size drive tires permitted

ELECTRONICS

12. Bracket Racing Aids: No throttle stops, No Electric shifters or Optical sensors.

13. No delay boxes or other driver aided electronics.

The application or use of any device, mechanical or electronic, that permit the driver to ascertain the position of their vehicle in

relation to the starting line is prohibited.

14. Progressive Nitrous controller system permitted

15. No electric or air shifters.

SAFETY

All cars must meet all current IHRA/NHRA SAFETY REQUIREMENTS

Drivers are required to wear the required safety equipment for the ET's that are being run.

RULES COMMITTEE

All cars will be reviewed by a RULES COMMITTEE to ensure they meet the spirit of the class. Fairness is all we are promoting.

THERE WILL BE NO 'GUTTED' RACECARS PERMITTED TO RACE, IF THE CAR DOESN'T FIT THE SPIRIT OF THE RULES IT WILL NOT RACE WITH THE 8.90

INDEX CARS.

FORMAT

1/4 MILE RACE

8.90 INDEX

.400 PRO TREE (COURTESY STAGING IN EFFECT)

16 CAR QUALIFIED FIELD

CARS QUALIFIED 8.8999 OR QUICKER ARE SITUATED AFTER THE SLOWEST

QUALIFIED CAR IN THE FINAL QUALIFYING ORDER.

PROFESSIONAL RUN ORDER (1 VS. 16, 2 VS. 15, ETC.)

DOUBLE BREAKOUT CLOSEST TO 8.90 WINS

IF 20 OR MORE CARS ENTERED THERE WILL BE A GAMBLER STYLE RACE AMOUNGST CARS QUALIFIED NO. 17 AND LOWER (WE WANT EVERYONE TO

RACE)

IF ONLY 19 CARS ARE ENTERED, QUALIFIED CARS NO. 17, 18 AND 19 WILL BE ABLE TO RACE IN THE TRACKS REGULAR BRACKET PROGRAM

PAYOUTS/ENTRY

ENTRY FEE $50.00 at the gate

PAYOUT IS 100 PERCENT !!

80 PERCENT TO WINNER

20 PERCENT TO RUNNER-UP

THESE ARE THE FINAL RULES.

please send all inquiries to; Paul Suloff VIPERAKRON@AOL.COM or Tom Cowle RAMBLERBME@YAHOO.COM.

DO NOT CONTACT THE TRACK ABOUT THE RULES.

Bump.........especially for you bragging 700+rwhp guys. Lets see what your shit runs at the track

There are so many internet fast cars and racers on this site they could have their own class.

CR Internet Outlaw: so fast you never see it run!

There is also

CR Jackstand Warriors: where the cars don't run but the owner's mouth does!

Keep us posted on dates for this if it happens!

ummm, not really, been there a few times, pain in the ass to get there, the walkway over the track is cool though...

Overall Trails is better and if your gonna drive 2+ hours go to Norwalk.

Have you raced on this track? Their program is run better than trails, the track prep is 100000 times better than trails, and you get more passes their even with high car counts than trails.

Out of all the tracks I have raced at in Ohio Trails hands down has the worst track prep and program. I plan on racing more at 42, Quaker, Thompson, Norwalk, and Kil Kare than Trails until they get their act together.

The owners of Norwalk have tried to buy Thompson several times and asked how they do track prep there as well.

My family has been racing at Thompson, Quaker, Norwalk, and 42 for over 30 years and those are your top tracks in Ohio.

Have you raced on this track? Their program is run better than trails, the track prep is 100000 times better than trails, and you get more passes their even with high car counts than trails.

Out of all the tracks I have raced at in Ohio Trails hands down has the worst track prep and program. I plan on racing more at 42, Quaker, Thompson, Norwalk, and Kil Kare than Trails until they get their act together.

The owners of Norwalk have tried to buy Thompson several times and asked how they do track prep there as well.

My family has been racing at Thompson, Quaker, Norwalk, and 42 for over 30 years and those are your top tracks in Ohio.

I wouldn't claim Kilkare as having great track prep for their Thursday night Test and Tune. Two years ago it was good, but last year was terrible. New owners wouldn't prep the track much if any on Thursdays, but would prep it well for weekend events. I had better luck at Trails with track prep on Test and Tune nights. Trails still sucks at running the lanes and cleaning up in comparison to anywhere else that I have been. Having said all of that, I'll still hit trails for test and tune, because it's still fun to race the car.

I wouldn't claim Kilkare as having great track prep for their Thursday night Test and Tune. Two years ago it was good, but last year was terrible. New owners wouldn't prep the track much if any on Thursdays, but would prep it well for weekend events. I had better luck at Trails with track prep on Test and Tune nights. Trails still sucks at running the lanes and cleaning up in comparison to anywhere else that I have been. Having said all of that, I'll still hit trails for test and tune, because it's still fun to race the car.

I have not been to Kil Kare yet but I have heard nothing but good things. Trails is ok for a test and tune good practice for cutting lights and what to do with a car when track conditions suck. As far as going there for actual racing I don't know if I will do that unti they get their act together.

Why do you think they keep losing events? ADRL is going back to Norwalk now and they just made that change. Now I have to change my time off work to make up for this :(

• 4 weeks later...

This is the 1st time I ever heard Thompson being called a great track and I've been going to the tracks up north here since the mid 60s'.Don't take this wrong as I go to Thompson.

Back in the late 60s'/early 70s',Dragway 42 was 'the' track,nationally known,4 lanes(4 lanes at the new strip near Charlotte is not a new concept),and 42 held a yearly 'nationals' event.Norwalk was still rough & ragged and Thompson about the same as Norwalk.

In the 80s' as Norwalk began to improve,42 was turning back into a cornfield,Thompson was still Thompson.

From then to present,Norwalk has continuously improved and became a track of national status,42 has become a local prominence track,and Thompson has and is in a continual state of improvement.

Thompson has a lot of good events and GM vs Ford on the 1st Sunday in August seems to be the local up north here favorite.

Where else do they have index racing with payouts? Anywhere relatively local to columbus and you don't have to have a personal bodyguard to go collect from?

8.90s is too wild for me and my current ride but somewhere from 11.90-12.50 would be cool. I don't like bracket racing and I def don't like going out and trying to break stuff for a trophy. I already have one from trails. Heads-up non index is just a money race. I am sure others are in the same boat out there.

I would be interested in actually building a car for a 10.50-10.90 index as well.

i havent heard of any loca racing done thats heads up 12.50s. but there was a outlaw race at kilkare has a heads up 1/8th for 6.50s. thats as close as ive heard in heads up racing. check nhras site for the upcoming unleashed race i think its all heads up and there are index classes but im not shure if it goes to brackets at the slower ets.