Projector Vs. big Lcd/plasma

my parents are in need of a new tv setup...the room/basement is about 20x10. i am really on the fence about what to do for them. It looks like the screen for the projector will be 8x5. now days you can get a 50-55in. lcd/plasma for the same cost of a projector/screen. i know projectors need new bulbs every couple 1k hours, however...that could be years for my folks.

what would you guys do with a room that size? Projector or big lcd/plasma. this is all on a cost friendly budget, however best bang for the buck too.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

To me, it depends if it is their main TV or not. If that is the tv they're going to watch every night, or want to flip on quickly to watch this or that, I would go with an LCD/plasma. If it is a rec room that they would use to watch a movie, big game, etc, then I would get a projector without hesitation.

To me, it depends if it is their main TV or not. If that is the tv they're going to watch every night, or want to flip on quickly to watch this or that, I would go with an LCD/plasma. If it is a rec room that they would use to watch a movie, big game, etc, then I would get a projector without hesitation.

winnar.

-Marc

thats about the size of my room (13x22) and i have my 60" projection LCD on the short wall, so i've got about a 9-10' viewing distance.

if i could get a projector that was crystal clear on a 100+" screen (which im sure is possible, but more than what i want to spend), id turn the room back around 90 degrees and put it back to a 22' viewing distance.

thats about the size of my room (13x22) and i have my 60" projection LCD on the short wall, so i've got about a 9-10' viewing distance.

if i could get a projector that was crystal clear on a 100+" screen (which im sure is possible, but more than what i want to spend), id turn the room back around 90 degrees and put it back to a 22' viewing distance.

I have a runco LCD "Q" projector for you.

PS. If anyone wants to see what is possible when it comes to home theater, I'm more than welcome to show off what can be done. I have no illusion that anyone will spen 15k on a projector but when you see the best, you figure out quickly what your priorities are and where you cand spend your money to find your best percieved value.

http://www.progressiveaudio.com. ;)

I have a room bigger than that in our basement and have a 73in DLP.. Perfect size and great picture(plus great prices now). We have a theater room that is hardly used, room is about 30x15 with 114in screen, I wouldn't want to use it for daily/nightly use. Usually watch for big sports events or an occasional movie. I need to update the projector to 1080p so if anyone has recommendations, let me know.

Of all the TV's we have, I think the sony XBR4 or the new samsung LED has the best picture and clarity of all

My theatre room. I vote for going projector, for the price of a really nice lcd/plasma you can do the room up with a really nice surround and projector setup my screem is 100" and it is an elite fixed frame. I spend alot for the screen, it makes a huge difference

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/1972nova/100_0994.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/1972nova/100_0995.jpg

I've heard good things about the panasonic. You'll have a hard time finding a dealer to demo it as the investment to show a low margin inexpensive

unit like that does not justify the expense of the space.

Definitely don't skimp on the screen. DaLite provides some affordable options. The audio in budget systems is so often an after thought. I'd argue that in an emersive experience sound is just as important as the display. Those HTIB systems are crap and will do more to take away from the emotive function of the room.

My theatre room. I vote for going projector, for the price of a really nice lcd/plasma you can do the room up with a really nice surround and projector setup my screem is 100" and it is an elite fixed frame. I spend alot for the screen, it makes a huge difference

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/1972nova/100_0994.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/1972nova/100_0995.jpg

Unless those floor standers have a crossover built to adjust for the resonance of the wall you'd do well to voice them to the room in a zone of acoustic neutrality. A proper tow would make the sound stage more articulate and accurate... Not that you asked for opinions.

A proper toe...

I'm sure it was just a typo with e and w being next to each other. To clarify for the non-audio-geeks, toe is angeling them in a little. Pulling them out from the wall a bit will probably help too.

I 150% agree with what Ken said the audio side of things. The good thing is you don't have to spend much more money than an 'expensive' HTIB to get good sound.

I suggest this setup since it's on sale right now due to the speakers being on sale. http://store.audioholics.com/product/2667/66226/yamaha-rx-v665---f300t-tower-5-1-system-package

I have speakers from this company and they are a great bang for the buck. They do sound good too, anyone is more than welcome to come check them out if they would like.

All the little things add up to $$$$ when you are getting even decent stuff. $1-2k for a projector, $1k+ for sound, at least a few hundred for the screen.

I have a Sony LCD Projector and a 100" screen, mine is in a room as pictured above I am a big fan of the projector especially if your a movie buff. Also a think to consider is how your going to run your wires? If unfinished then I would say no biggie but if finished could result in a problem running wires for your projector. just some food for thought

I'm putting the finishing touches on my home theater. 25'X15' If you already have another TV for watching regular television shows I'd suggest a projector. It has completely changed watching movies at home.

It's still a fairly low budget theater, but here's what I've got so far..

Epson Home Cinema 8100 1080P

Dalite 100" screen

PS3

Pioneer Elite VSX-21 AVR

Polk TSI-300 L/R

Polk CS10 Center

Polk TSI-100 Rear and Side Surrounds

Front wall and Ceiling painted Flat Black

Side walls a pewter color.

A few acounstic panels on the side walls.

Only thing left to buy are the 3 seater Berkline seat and two additional leather couches.

If I could do it again I would built a proper stage and screen wall, but I think it turned out well for the small budget I had. The way the room is built I can't do columns.

I'll try to get some pics later.

Oh and the Epson is rated at 4k hours on the brightest setting. At 1800 lumens it's a light canon and you can still watch it with a decent amount of ambient light.