Any older porsche guys out there

Sam1647545489

I love the 80's style 911 porsches. Been looking around to try to find one just to dick around in. Not really mod other then some suspension stuff and wheels tires exhaust and what not. Anyone tell me about the 3.2 engine they have. Pics for reference.

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2009/4/26/261/667/11380746547.261667336.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2009/7/29/265/743/12488857565.265743997.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

You almost don't have to dick with the suspension. Most of the 911's you will find have been lowered via the Bilstein coilovers a lot of them already have from the factory. They lower them to the European specs since the American specs raise the car up almost an inch to an inch and a half. The 3.2 is a fantastic motor with a great torque curve.

It is very common for these motors to leak from the push rod tubes, as well as anywhere else, just depends on what you get almost. Most people that have older air cooled Porsche's maintain them quite well. Records are important especially since most of them are modified in some way, but are very subtle. Common ones are ride height change and exhaust modifications, mainly catalyst delete, and short throw shifters since most 911's when you hit second with a stock shifter and you are short and have the seat up it hits the RF corner of the seat.

They are fantastic cars, I have had the opportunity to pilot quite a few different ones and each one brings a smile to your face.

We MIGHT have a '86 Carrera Convertible for sale at the shop down the road here, it has a roll cage, racing seats, momo wheel, lowered, short throw, catalyst delete and a chip. I'll be sure to let the Porsche people know if it does indeed come up for sale. Yes it is a street car. The lady that owns it used it for DE's and realized the expenses when it comes to racing a Porsche and she bought a prepped Miata instead.

Sam,

What do you want to know? My brother has a 87 911 for about 15 years now. He rebuilt the engine at 100K and it wasnt too hard to do. Parts are a little more expensive. I believe he had around 6K(added headers and some other HP stuff) in it, and did all of the labor except for the machine shop stuff. There is a guy(I cant remember his name presently) over by Plain City that has a shop at this house that restores Porsches/Ferraris who did my brother's machine work. He is very well known in the Porsche community and very reasonable for parts and service.

Let me know which year/model and I can talk to brother or give you his number/email if you would want to discuss with him. My brother is very knowledge about Porsches by either wrenching or racing. His friend is racing his 944 in NASA and my brother is his wrench. All I remember is starting in 86 there were alot of improvements in the 911 engine/transmission. I love Porsches too, but my wife doesnt like them, so we have corvettes. Based on what you have done to your old Z06, the 80's Porsche's will be something simple for you to wrench.

Buy this one and I'll drive it back for you. I'm in the OC, so if you find something in L.A. I could look at it. Leaving in one week.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/1563916121.html

Looks like thats where he got his reference pic from.

There was a 70's 911 on columbus craigslist awhile back for like $7k.

As a kid, the only Porsche's I liked were slant nose variants. And I loved those. Now, as I've gotten older, the older Porches 'normal' noses have really grown on me. I believe I've also become more of a purists, too. And to me, the regular nose Porsche with visible lights says "purists" more so than the slant. Not that I still don't like the Slants, but I guess it's like square lights on a Jeep, a 350 in a Supra... Well, I was hoping to have come up with a better analogy at this point, but it didn't happen. Eh, you get the point.

I love the 80's style 911 porsches. Been looking around to try to find one just to dick around in. Not really mod other then some suspension stuff and wheels tires exhaust and what not. Anyone tell me about the 3.2 engine they have. Pics for reference.

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2009/4/26/261/667/11380746547.261667336.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2009/7/29/265/743/12488857565.265743997.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

You suck ;0 I've been looking into building one with a subbie swap. I know it could make some nice power with out spending a ton.

You are aware they are german, and dont' have an LS1 in them.

Oh, and they need special maintenance which will make you cry on CR about germans.

Just making sure...:p

200HP modern sedan shouldn't require that much maintenance.

A rear-engine Sports/GT car from the 80's = fully understandable.

You are aware they are german, and dont' have an LS1 in them.

Oh, and they need special maintenance which will make you cry on CR about germans.

Just making sure...:p

I think one with a conversion LSx motor would be fun. On side note, I know it probably wouldn't be very easy.

Sam,

What do you want to know? My brother has a 87 911 for about 15 years now. He rebuilt the engine at 100K and it wasnt too hard to do. Parts are a little more expensive. I believe he had around 6K(added headers and some other HP stuff) in it, and did all of the labor except for the machine shop stuff. There is a guy(I cant remember his name presently) over by Plain City that has a shop at this house that restores Porsches/Ferraris who did my brother's machine work. He is very well known in the Porsche community and very reasonable for parts and service.

Let me know which year/model and I can talk to brother or give you his number/email if you would want to discuss with him. My brother is very knowledge about Porsches by either wrenching or racing. His friend is racing his 944 in NASA and my brother is his wrench. All I remember is starting in 86 there were alot of improvements in the 911 engine/transmission. I love Porsches too, but my wife doesnt like them, so we have corvettes. Based on what you have done to your old Z06, the 80's Porsche's will be something simple for you to wrench.

EPR Automotive is who you are thinking of,I believe.Ed Pimm.

3.2 liter = no turbo

Pictures shown = turbo

You can get one that has the "turbo look" though, so it might be that. But I thought the slant noses were turbos only?

One without a turbo is like driving a beetle, one with a turbo is RS4 price range....therefore I'd probably never get one. 930s are cool cars though.

Sam,

Why did he rebuild it? Did it need rebuilt? Anything to look for when buying one.