Need advice on selling a car...

Sco0terzsl

Okay, so I'm wanting to sell my Mini on Autotrader and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I'm pretty big into Auto Photography and I have tons of pictures of the Mini, but they aren't like any of the pictures that I see on Autotrader. So I was wondering if you think it'd be better if I use the pictures that I have or if I went out and did some quick point and shoot style photos in order to put the car up for sale. Or do you think it would benefit me for putting up some of my artistic shots?

I've never sold anything on Autotrader/Craigslist so I'm not really sure how to market my add to appeal to most of the people. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I would say a mix of both.

This is because if you only use artistic shots, I would assume you also have the capability to hide imperfections either through your photography or a computer program. I would use an artistic shot for the main photo on AutoTrader, etc as it will stand out and draw attention.

If you use just regular shots, well, you look like every Mini for sale.

A mix of both says you care a great deal about your car to photograph it (or have it photographed for all the buyer knows) yet they can see the car in "reality".

My $0.02.

This is because if you only use artistic shots, I would assume you also have the capability to hide imperfections either through your photography or a computer program. I would use an artistic shot for the main photo on AutoTrader, etc as it will stand out and draw attention.

A mix of both says you care a great deal about your car to photograph it (or have it photographed for all the buyer knows) yet they can see the car in "reality".

My $0.02.

+1

Its been a while since I sold a car on autotrader, but if its the same, make sure you spend the extra money to put extra shots of the car (outside/interior) and if you can afford it, a color photo in the ad.

+1

Put both types of pics up, I'd make the ratio more toward point and shoot "real" photos though, with some nice ones you have done that are more current. I sold my car on autotrader last year and got my asking price, a good description is key.

I put my old truck on craigslist with lots of pictures and a 3 paragraph description. After 2 weeks I only had 2 emails on it. I took the ad down, put up a half ass 1 paragraph thing only saying the year, engine size, 4x4, and the mileage with 2 pictures and I had 10 emails in the first 3 days about it. Go figure?

It was a '91 with lots of rust, guess that demographic was not into reading. You should have lots of pics showing the car and a few of the artistic ones.

My $0.02.

+1

I put my old truck on craigslist with lots of pictures and a 3 paragraph description. After 2 weeks I only had 2 emails on it. I took the ad down, put up a half ass 1 paragraph thing only saying the year, engine size, 4x4, and the mileage with 2 pictures and I had 10 emails in the first 3 days about it. Go figure?

It was a '91 with lots of rust, guess that demographic was not into reading. You should have lots of pics showing the car and a few of the artistic ones.

Same. I was very descriptive and honest when selling my truck, and had nothing but e-mails from tire kickers and lowballers the first several times I posted my ad on craigslist. Then one day I just put a short description and said "I will be available all day tomorrow (Saturday) so if you want to see the truck give me a call" and I put my cell number in the ad. I had two people call and come look at it that day, the first told me he'd think it over and get back to me, the second guy bought it right on the spot. Later that afternoon (after it had already sold) the first guy called me back and said he wanted to buy it, as well as two other people who called and wanted to come see it.

I don't get it. Although I'm sure my S10 Xtreme was attracting a different crowd than your Mini would, so your experience could be completely different. Good luck with the sale :cool:

absolutely the #1 thing that helps.. IMO

is

Great quality Large *(NOT HUGE )pictures in the ad on CL

DO NOT USE CL UPLOAD FEATURE!

host them on photobucket and copy the HTML link

Solid idea. I created a new photobucket account with nothing but photos of my truck (like 15 or so) and put the link in my ad

Craigslist is one that I most frequent, and is a very fast growing site. On top of that it is free.

I have not been on autotrader in months, all my shopping is done via Craigslist.

Although with a newer car like that you may want to advertise on both sites since Craigslist is free. I don't know if I would be looking on Craigslist if I was looking for a newer car. I would give Craigslist a shot first being free and take it from there then.

Yeah autotrader was a waste for me too, but mine sold in a week, from Craigslist...so that money was wasted...

First id try Craigslist and all the forums.. then if you get no bites maybe try Autotrader..

the paper isnt all that bad either... some people use it

I honestly couldnt tell you anyone I know of who had luck with autotrader. Their online site is horrible.

I have sold 2 cars on autotrader!

If you really want to sell it, price it to sell!

example 3 yrs ago:

2001 F-350 xlt Dually 4x4 68k miles

Kelly Blue book and NADA list said

Dealer - 26k

Person to Person 24k

Trade-in 22k

Listed it for 24k First guy came out and ask what I wanted for it. I told him that I would take 22k because that is what the trade-in value was and could get that anytime I wanted.

Truck sold first weekend it was listed on the web site. It didn't even hit the book yet!

My other car was a race car not a street car and took about 4 months to sell.