Interesting read on "Avatar"

Putty

If I worked on that movie in anyway I would be proud, no way I could even imagine all the detail in that move. Seeing the insects made me start to itch. It was easily the most visually stunning movie I have ever seen, and I saw the first three Star Wars in a theater. Yes I think it is more visually stunning than Star Wars.

When my oldest(17 now) was about 9-10 I think, she dug an animated film called Ferngully-The Last Rainforest. Watched it allot. Avatar reminded me of that movie.

The forest they created in Avatar is straight out of a saltwater reef tank under actinic(blue) lighting. They seemed to use the physical characteristics of zoanthids and palythoa corals, as well as featherduster invertebrates. That was cool to see. HBO had a 'behind the scenes' of the making of this movie. Quite a few firsts used in the creation of both the 2D and 3D. The plot was pretty generic, yes, but the movie itself took film making to the next level for sure.

How many have you seen?

7 or 8, and they all beat you over the head with the 3D. Spaceships flying out of the screen, crap jumping at you, people thrusting stuff towards the audience, etc.

Cameron skipped almost all of that, with the exception of one or two small touches. Through 99.999999999999% of the movie, it was more like watching the characters in person than seeing a movie. He didn't try to make the movie interactive, he just turned the screen into something closer to a really big stage.

so you didn't like the 3D effect of the movie? personally, I liked the way he did it. the cliche shit flying out and objects coming at your face are a bit corny for this level of movie. works in cartoons and kids movies, but for me, it's a bit Friday the 13th'ish to do that.

We saw the IMAX 3D version and I was pretty impressed with the image quality. I knew it was going to be decent but it was better than I expected.

7 or 8, and they all beat you over the head with the 3D. Spaceships flying out of the screen, crap jumping at you, people thrusting stuff towards the audience, etc.

Cameron skipped almost all of that, with the exception of one or two small touches. Through 99.999999999999% of the movie, it was more like watching the characters in person than seeing a movie. He didn't try to make the movie interactive, he just turned the screen into something closer to a really big stage.

I read that wasn't his intent with the movie.