A friend is wanting to get a PC. I have the following that she wants:

Must be able to:

Watch TV (ie - tv card)

Monitor security camera (internet)

Play games (ie - Yahoo Games)

Email (Outlook)

Word

Excell

She wants something that will do the above at the same time, and not be "slow". This IS for work, but is obviously not a "business" pc.

I have a budget of ~ $1500, and she would prefer it to come from Tiger Direct.

Thanks!

KillJoy

I understand where to get one.... I can also see that the OP did not have more info.

I guess I should have added the following:

What OS to get?

What CPU to get?

How much RAM to get?

I want this thing to be as fast as possible within the funding allowed...

KillJoy

Honestly almost any new pre-built PC will be able to do the following except watch TV. You can buy a separate TV card for that to happen. It is always better to have a Faster CPU and more RAM but that costs more. At least 2GB of ram, 4GB if you can afford it. Windows 7 or Windows XP is fine for a windows OS.

I'd cross-shop with newegg.com. They usually have better prices, and they won't bombard you with junk e-mail like TD does.

I haven't been shopping for parts lately, but RAM is easy. As much as you can afford. She wants to multi-task quite a bit, so she'll need RAM more than anything. A middle of the road CPU and video card should be fine for her needs.

I understand where to get one.... I can also see that the OP did not have more info.

I guess I should have added the following:

What OS to get?

What CPU to get?

How much RAM to get?

I want this thing to be as fast as possible within the funding allowed...

KillJoy

O/S I would get 7

CPU any of the i7s will work great

RAM 6 gigs

Pyrinex is local and are hella good guys. The owner has a Nice ass RX7 and there lead tech has a pretty sweet wrx. They are car guys for sure. If you mention thorne you will get the hook up pricing ;) We have done allot of business with them. They don't sell overclocker boards typically but if your building sick machine i7's overclock them selves and you really are not cpu limited any more its 3d.

http://www.pyrinex.com/

Call up ask for matt and tell him thorne sent you. They have awesome prices, Damn near new egg. They warranty there shit and they are local.

Phone: (614) 552-1055 or (877) PYRINEX

Edited by Thorne
added phone

Specs look OK, a bit overkill. What did that price out to?

Reformat that as soon as you get it to get rid of all of HP's stupid shit.

edit:12gb of ram? What the fuck, are you trying to run 4 simultaneous virtual machines?

4? I run 3 on 4 gigs of ram ;) Real men VM.

Yeah way overkill. I upgraded to a 2.8ghz quad core with 4 gigs of ram, and a nice "last years good" video card.

I run dual monitors and typically have several browsers open, a large online game, and when I'm editing photos from a client event I add on top of that 3 photo editing programs, 1 is canon's DPP, adobe lightroom, and photoshop CS3. If its a clear night you can add a 3rd monitor and a remote desktop out to my observatory.

She should be able to get a great system for around $600-700.

Like I said... she has $1500 to spend, and WANTS to spend it. That HP spec'd out at $1450-ish. It does NOT include an extended warranty. I am telling her that if she gets it, to include a 3 yr, next day, onsite warranty. That will add a couple of hundred. She is wanting something that she could possibly use for the next 5-7 years and not have to change a thing on. That justifys her Budget. Also, she is NOT local. She is in FL.

KillJoy

Like I said... she has $1500 to spend, and WANTS to spend it. That HP spec'd out at $1450-ish. It does NOT include an extended warranty. I am telling her that if she gets it, to include a 3 yr, next day, onsite warranty. That will add a couple of hundred. She is wanting something that she could possibly use for the next 5-7 years and not have to change a thing on. That justifys her Budget. Also, she is NOT local. She is in FL.

KillJoy

For her an HP would probably be the best thing then. If she don't keep up with the latest FPS games she won't need to upgrade anything for 4-5 years.

For her an HP would probably be the best thing then. If she don't keep up with the latest FPS games she won't need to upgrade anything for 4-5 years.

That is my thought and hope. Spend the $$$ ONCE, not every 1 or 2 years like she currently is. $600 - $800 every 2 years is a LOT for a new PC to "stay fast".

KillJoy

Might price comparision building it wise at http://www.ibuypower.com and http://www.cyberpc.com I used ibuypower to build my gaming machine and have no complaints. Not that these websites are just for gamers. Also you could look through their prebuilds usually have some pretty amazing deals on them.

That is my thought and hope. Spend the $$$ ONCE, not every 1 or 2 years like she currently is. $600 - $800 every 2 years is a LOT for a new PC to "stay fast".

KillJoy

When ever one of my relatives complains that they need a new computer and that the old one is really slow I come over and delete the junk from their computer. things like 15 search bars in the browsers, all the weather bug type apps that get auto installed if you aren't smart enough to uncheck boxes when installing stuff. I have no clue how people can honestly not notice that the browser window is half the size it was when they got it and figure out why.

USB tv tuners are nothing but headaches :p plus that only does OTA.. And thats for a 21.5" iMac. 21.5" is painfully small when you used to working on some bigboy monitors.

I have a 21.5 and it's great for me. Snow Leopard>Windows any day. :D

Wow that computer is over kill. You don't need to spend $1,500 to keep a computer for 7 years. I just built a new computer for $550 with 4 gig of ram and a good video card (I play a lot of FPS). My old computer was still fine for normal things (single 2.54 gig, 2 gig RAM), the video card was AGP on it and would not run today's games. I built that one in 2001 for $600 and used it for almost 9 years.

Honestly, even multi-tasking with multiple windows, video and photos, I never get near using the full 4 gig memory.

I don't see a monitor on that list? You could get a nice 22" or a set of dual monitors and knock the computer speed down a little and still have money left for a turbo.