Window Tint

mloakley

I just got PULLED OVER for window tint of 31%. $126 fine. They've been tinted that way for SIX years. Apparently, I've never passed an officer who was bored enough to pull me over for it.

Anyhow, any opinions on whether its worth fighting? And IIRC, I just need an ammonia-based glass cleaner to get it to come off?

pay it and move on. IMO though, just get the fronts done at 50% and the rest darker. I have 50%, 35%, 18% and you can't hardly tell the difference on any of them. The sides all look nearly the same.

Legal and looking good.

It looks like I'll have to take money out of the Vegas fund for this, which sucks. So, now I have to decide if I'm going to freeze my butt off and do it tonight, or risk getting pulled over by the same... <deleted>..... <more deleted>... <still more deleted>.... officer tomorrow on the way home. Thanks for the input folks!

Oh, BTW.. in my googling of various ORC laws, Columbus codes, and Dept of Public safety websites, I discovered that according to Ohio Administrative Code 4501-41-03, you can tint your windshield to 30% (70% light transmission)

(reference: http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQ.stm )

@ evan9381 - I don't mind paying a luxury tax, its the totally random way that it's applied that has my knickers in a twist. :)

No use in bitching about tint, no front plates, loud exhaust, or any other car mod someone willfully did knowing it was illegal.

I'd feel lucky I made it 6 years without getting caught.

Disclaimer - I have paid numerous "silly" fines, and still don't have front plates and still have 20% tint. Gotta pay to play, man.

Just pay it.. no big deal.

This. I've been ticketed many times for no front plate and I just pay it. Although I got ticketed once for window tint, and was told that if I get pulled over again for it in the same year my car could get impounded.

• 4 weeks later...
i got pulled over in Grandview at night for tint and no front plate. the cop put his meter on the window and said it was 5% but the windows are 15%. tint and no front plate are both bullshit laws

I've lived in gview the majority of my life. Cops there will ticket you for ANYTHING they can.

Guest tbutera2112

Oh, BTW.. in my googling of various ORC laws, Columbus codes, and Dept of Public safety websites, I discovered that according to Ohio Administrative Code 4501-41-03, you can tint your windshield to 30% (70% light transmission)

(reference: http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/FAQ.stm )

wouldnt 70% light transmission mean you can only have it tinted to 70%, not 30%? because if 5% tint has 5% light transmission, then 70% light transmission would be 70% tint..

wouldnt 70% light transmission mean you can only have it tinted to 70%, not 30%? because if 5% tint has 5% light transmission, then 70% light transmission would be 70% tint..

Correct, OP has no clue.

For what it was worth, I had an 88 Black Fiero GT Murdered out in the mid-late 90s, entire windshield tinted with 50% and the other 3 windows at 20% tint. Got so many tint tickets in Westerville I had to go to mayors court. Tint was very dark. I removed the 20% and left the windshield alone because I was told they were going to inspect the car and I was unaware of the law. They sent a bailiff out to inspect and he told the judge it looked fine. I only had to pay court costs, and the judge sent me on my way. Not many officers will notice any tint on the front windshield of 50% or less, and back then the meter could not test the windshield. It could only be slipped over the window when it was rolled down. You can't roll a windshield down.

• Casper unlocked this topic