INTENSE owner sells business to play poker

Buck531

Hmm.....I wonder if this is a good thing or bad thing. I guess it depends on how you feel about Intense, and lord knows there's a shit ton of mixed opinions out there...

PS - is that the real reason why he is selling? Seems like a lame excuse. Poker? I wonder if that's the real story :eek:

PS - is that the real reason why he is selling? Seems like a lame excuse. Poker? I wonder if that's the real story :eek:

IMO yes. He's been a nut over playing it and obviously has a good income stream from this and various sources that allow him to do it full time.

There are mixed opinions but either way, I would say this is a new beginning. My GP's were always treated well and ran strong. Nice to see a business continue and an entrepreneur succeed so I'm happy for all really.

I doubt that's the real reason. As someone put it on CGP. You might make $200k a year playing poker, but you're paying $225k a year in entry fees.

My bet is that he knows the 3800 market is drying up and has no where to go. I'm not sure about their dealings with the other markets (cobalt, g8, etc).

He still has the advanced gauging company bringing in money though.

Did Tim King ever open up his own shop? I've been out of the 3800 game for a bit now and haven't been around the forums much, so I'm not up to date on the latest happenings

No idea. Last time I heard he was working as a service writer at Monroe or something. They sold the white GTP. Not sure if they sold the blue one. I thought they sold the Bonneville too.

I doubt that's the real reason.

but you say that is if he's trying to hide something. the reality is Scott has always had a number of interests that come and go. I give him credit for taking his hobbies and passions to the point of being able to make a living from them. I am doing that on a small scale with my photography, but nothing to the point of opening a studio and making it a real business.

but you say that is if he's trying to hide something. the reality is Scott has always had a number of interests that come and go. I give him credit for taking his hobbies and passions to the point of being able to make a living from them. I am doing that on a small scale with my photography, but nothing to the point of opening a studio and making it a real business.

I only say that because of their past deals of "hiding" stuff. They're known for hiding.

I mean. Tim King leaving because of a bad back? Big Jeff leaving because of back problems? I know more than you think ;).

I give him credit for taking his hobbies and passions to the point of being able to make a living from them. I am doing that on a small scale with my photography, but nothing to the point of opening a studio and making it a real business.

I only met Scott once or twice but what did he do at Intense? (Aside from being the owner). I always heard he had a good side biz which certainly helps with owning a performance shop or playing poker :) I am sure it was a tough decision but I wish him the best of luck!

Jeff

Intense was a side business, his real money is in his core business of nuclear thickness gauging.

Also, Scott is one of the best Poker players in Columbus (which believe it or not, is significant), and came in 40th place this year at the World Series of Poker Main Event ($178,000), as well as having several professional level cashes aside form that. You can catch some of his hands on ESPN.

Did Tim King ever open up his own shop? I've been out of the 3800 game for a bit now and haven't been around the forums much, so I'm not up to date on the latest happenings

Yes he runs his own shop in the Dayton /Beaver Creek area. TKO Preformance. Tim King ONLY hahah. Actualy I don't know if that's what it really stands for, but is called TKO Performance.

I only say that because of their past deals of "hiding" stuff. They're known for hiding.

I mean. Tim King leaving because of a bad back? Big Jeff leaving because of back problems? I know more than you think ;).

Actualy the reason for Tim leaving is true. He ended up haveing surgery and not to spill someone elses personal business over the internet but he also had major heart surgery. That's why he didn't race at pinks all out and that's why he no longer has a race car. As far as Jeff goes I don't know I wasn't there when he was.

I doubt that's the real reason. As someone put it on CGP. You might make $200k a year playing poker, but you're paying $225k a year in entry fees.

My bet is that he knows the 3800 market is drying up and has no where to go. I'm not sure about their dealings with the other markets (cobalt, g8, etc).

He still has the advanced gauging company bringing in money though.

I don't know the money amount that INTENSE brought in but when I worked there INTENSE always seemed like the side business for Scott. AGT (the gauging business) was what paid the bills and racing and INTENSE was more loosely put, the hobby.

I think you’re right in a way though about the market, but I also think it has a lot to do with Scott and poker. Now that they have to move in a different direction away from 3800’s and more to Camaro G8 etc it requires more attention and time. And I don’t know that he wants to deal with it. He probably makes more money at poker then he did with INTENSE, and with less to deal with and more to enjoy I don’t blame him. Beside if you’re a good enough player most of your entry fees can be covered or you win your way into the big tournaments.

Edited by super_gtp

Just wanted to come in amd second what Eli said. Scott is probably one of the best tournament players I've ever had the pleasure of sitting down with, and his mind for the game is next level. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that he will be a very profitable poker player, and I wish him nothing but the best. Unless he's playing me, that is.
  • Upvote 1

Just wanted to come in amd second what Eli said. Scott is probably one of the best tournament players I've ever had the pleasure of sitting down with, and his mind for the game is next level. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that he will be a very profitable poker player, and I wish him nothing but the best. Unless he's playing me, that is.

I third what Eli and DJ both said as I have played with him as well and wish him the best.

You never hear about Intense on any of the G8 boards. Scott had to perfect his poker face when dealing with all his bad lsd issues.

Big Jeff made it well known why he left once the time limit was up on the severance package.