2011 HONDA CR-Z

Slomo Eric

38mpg still doesn't make 120hp worth while. Hybrids should also get at least 40mpg before even being considered worth while. Mid 90s 1.5 liter civics could get mid 30s mpg all day long, what makes this car special?

Thats what I was thinking.

Plus its just ugly.

38mpg still doesn't make 120hp worth while. Hybrids should also get at least 40mpg before even being considered worth while. Mid 90s 1.5 liter civics could get mid 30s mpg all day long, what makes this car special?

my 1.8 06 does 35 -40 mpg depending on the season.

my 1.8 06 does 35 -40 mpg depending on the season.

There are a few key phrases in there, like your actual car and depending on the season. Generally the new EPA ratings are conservative compared to what you will actually get. They were very liberal before and lots of people were complaining that they weren't getting advertised mileage. So they revised them recently and from what I've seen they are pretty conservative.

Your car is rated at 30mpg combined (new EPA rating, your sticker said 34MPG combined). So comparing apples to apples the CR-Z is rated at 37mpg combined. That's a 23% increase. That's a big difference, again comparing apples to apples that's 30mpg to 37mpg.

Also, since they supposedly focused on driving dynamics with this car they may (probably) have sacrificed some mpg through things like less aggressive hybrid tuning to focus on feel rather than all out mpg and probably not super low rolling resistance tires like on the Civic Hybrid. The verdict is still out on how it performs. If it has the same or similar tires as the Civic Hybrid it will be full of fail, if it performs like they are talking it up to be and gets 37mpg it will be a very cool car. Honda knows how to make cars that handle pretty well so if they are saying things like 'handling inspired by the Lotus Elise', I have some high hopes.

We will all be driving some sort of alternative systems in the future. Eventually auto makers will be able to build very aggressive hybrid systems that will be seamless to the driver, so it won't really matter. We need to be more efficient with our energy use all around to live sustainable, including in our cars. So if a hybrid system can net xx% increase in fuel economy, do it seamlessly to the driver and economically, then why not?

Without going on my 'cars have gotten too heavy' rant, you are talking about different era's of the automobile. Your talking about a 2700lb (CR-Z) car versus a 2100 lb tin can (i.e. 95 civic).

And if you can't tell it's a Hybrid from driving it, why does it matter? We are not there yet, but we will get there. I'm really interested to see how the CR-Z drives and how the hybrid system feels.

Without going on my 'cars have gotten too heavy' rant, you are talking about different era's of the automobile. Your talking about a 2700lb (CR-Z) car versus a 2100 lb tin can (i.e. 95 civic).

And if you can't tell it's a Hybrid from driving it, why does it matter? We are not there yet, but we will get there. I'm really interested to see how the CR-Z drives and how the hybrid system feels.

Well, it might not feel like a hybrid due too its claimed "sportiness", but its going to feel like a slow ass car if it weighs that much more and still only makes 120hp.

I just don't think hybrids, like this one, are making good enough fuel economy to be worth the additional cost.