2WD Truck Krew...

zeitgeist57

I got home early (holy cow I underestimated the snowfall!) and cleared my driveway using my little but trusty 2-stroke snowblower. In clearing around Cleetus, I thought about how much he sucks in the snow, and of course the age-old advice of adding weight to the back of the truck for more traction.

I don't have bags of gravel/sand/whatever, nor one of those huge bladder bags that holds a ton of water. However, I'm looking all around me at this wet, heavy snow...:)

I piled a large mound over the axle, bedside-high. I know it's not as dense (and therefore heavy) per volume as water, but has anyone else used this technique to improve RWD traction in winter storms?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=464&pictureid=3526

Edited by zeitgeist57

I piled a large mound over the axle, bedside-high. I know it's not as dense (and therefore heavy) per volume as water, but has anyone else used this technique to improve RWD traction in winter storms?

Mine is automatically weighted ;)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/FriFeb05153033EST2010.jpg

+1 which reminds me, I will probably need to stop and get gas before heading home since 4x4 = gas hog

My truck is reading 9.4 MPG to begin with. Luckily I haven't used 4wd yet, but it looks like if the gf gets called in or taking her in for rounds in the morning I most likely will have to. Bethel road at about 6 was getting a little iffy.

My company vehicle, a 1-wheel peel 06 F-150 SUCKS in the snow. New tires, 300lbs in the very back, and I almost didn't make it up a hill due to some slow jackass who decided to go slow down the previous hill and carried that speed over going up the next one. Of course his FWD car made it up no problem.

It also got stuck in my unplowed driveway.

Oh well, we took my wife's quad out and played in the snow for a while (I haven't repaired the damage on mine yet).

I got home early (holy cow I underestimated the snowfall!) and cleared my driveway using my little but trusty 2-stroke snowblower. In clearing around Cleetus, I thought about how much he sucks in the snow, and of course the age-old advice of adding weight to the back of the truck for more traction.

I don't have bags of gravel/sand/whatever, nor one of those huge bladder bags that holds a ton of water. However, I'm looking all around me at this wet, heavy snow...:)

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=464&pictureid=3526

one i saw cletus for the first time at the get go at five points..good lookin truck! and two..yeah my 2wd pos wouldnt move in the snow if i didnt fill the bed..seems to work for me

Guest Removed

yes have filled the bed with snow like this..plenty of traction for a 2wd.

mine always has scrap metal all in it in the winter too..normally between 800-1200 pounds worth, then dump heavy snow on top of that and your golden

Did about 4 years with 2wd lowered s-10's and a couple years with 2wd full size Chevy's.

I used 3 full size concrete parking ties, ratchet-strapped to each other and then ratchet-strapped to the bed's tie down hooks. This usually did the trick. That was back before I knew the water bladders existed (or maybe they didn't).

I didn't use 4wd once this entire storm.

Same here. I have been driving around since I got off work on Friday and never once put it in 4x4 in my Dodge Ram or the Jeep Grand Cherokee that needs a new set of tires. Just have to be smart when you drive.

I didn't use 4wd once this entire storm.

You are too far south in Blacklick. Get north of Franklin county, and the snow got a LOT deeper.

My buddy didn't have his driveway plowed yesterday - it was up past the bottom of my Avalanche. No biggie in 4WD, but would have gotten stuck in 2WD. My driveway would have been the same way but a neighbor came over with his snow blower on Friday and Saturday. I actually got my company truck stuck in the driveway on Friday around 5pm.