input from members

oldman09FZ6

last september I went looking at bikes,wanna get back into it,got rid of my suzuki GS750E a few years back.

I narrowed it down to 4 models-Suzuki GS650F and Bandit and Yamaha FZ6 and FZ1.I've since eliminated the Bandit because of its' weight.

I'll be dealing with previous year carryover models.

I like the black/silver 2008 GS650F for its' comfort.

the FZ6(no longer available in 2010) for its' low weight and nimbleness.

the FZ1 for its' power.

Any opinions

Just local cruising in the cleveland area,no canyon carving.

I don't want a low-handlebar super sport,don't want upright seating cruisers,don't want a tourer.

I like the comfort of the handlebar position of the bikes I mentioned.That comfort is important to me as I'm 63.

last september I went looking at bikes,wanna get back into it,got rid of my suzuki GS750E a few years back.

I narrowed it down to 4 models-Suzuki GS650F and Bandit and Yamaha FZ6 and FZ1.I've since eliminated the Bandit because of its' weight.

I'll be dealing with previous year carryover models.

I like the black/silver 2008 GS650F for its' comfort.

the FZ6(no longer available in 2010) for its' low weight and nimbleness.

the FZ1 for its' power.

Any opinions

Wow, talk about way different bikes.

Honestly, sit on a lot of bikes. Find out what's comfortable for you. I wouldn't get an FZ1 or any other liter bike. Build up your experience before you go that route. The Bandit 600 is a great bike. Also look at the SV650. Stay away from the GS650F.

^ i agree. The GS650 is a wimpy bike. low power, ugly and not many aftermarket parts.

No one NEEDS a 1000cc bike. they are very powerful. There are draw backs to 1000s too, like higher insurance rates, lower gas mileage and potentially higher maintenance. I would think the FZ6 (now called the "FZ6S") is the best choice.

I agree that i would look at the SV650 too, but it is still more "sport" than the FZ series, slightly less comfortable seating position and seat.

If you plan on carrying a passenger or luggage then the SV is out.

the Yamaha's were my top 2 choices,pricing on the carryover models is great.

No one NEEDS top end high performance cars either,but we get THEM.

Insurance rates at my age and my record is cheap,a 1250 cc bike is only $40 more per year than a 650 cc bike.

I didn't live to be 63 by being crazy on a bike for 35 years.

I never mentioned Honda or Kawasaki because they don't have anything in the 'naked' standard/super standard catergory.

Maintanence of/on a bike is something I look forward to.On my GS650E,I used to monthly adjust the valves(adjustment screws on the valve rockers) and sync the carbs.Took apart the clutch basket and replaced the clutch once.

• 3 months later...