timing belt...

macpyro2

Any cr audi guys do timing belt on B5 I havent done it on mine and i know its a bitch...

I usualy would take it John's auto he does a good job but at $750 for it i think i would do it myself. auto assets is another choice but i know there going to be more then john. Any thoughts

Back in October I did the timing belt in my wife's 2000 Passat GLX V6.

TWO THINGS:

1) http://www.blauparts.com. Get the TB and water pump, but they give you all the special VAG tools you need to get the seals replaced and keep the engine timing. PLEASE INVEST IN and USE THE SPECIAL LOANER TOOLS. I'm amazed at the poor saps that have worked on their Passats WITHOUT locking in the cams/crankshaft...something slips, and now they're fucked.

2) REPLACE THE SERPENTINE BELT TENSIONER. Even if the car doesn't need it, NOW is the time to get that thing done.

You can do this with jackstands in your garage. It's a looooooooooong job, and I'm assuming the A4 is like the Passat where you have to remove the front bumper and carrier assembly. Once that is done, everything is very accessible.

After I buttoned up the car, it fired right up and I enjoyed a good 2-day "DIY high" knowing I saved myself a lot of jack.

Now...I'm working on the clutch. :rolleyes:

what ever you do, make sure you get the water pump with the metal impeller. f@#$ them plastic ones.

+1. Blauparts has high-quality stuff.

I didn't have any problems with the loaner tools. They are all in used but great condition. You won't bang them around too much. Just wipe them off and send them back when you're done. No problems.

Being a B5 A4 owner as well, its a fairly involved service but not horrible.

I guarantee we can get you the parts for the most competitive price, and the service from the shop isnt near 750 dollar like quoted :).

I PM'd you an offer, or if you decide to tackle it on your own, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Good luck.

I would suggest doing it yourself because you will save a good chunk of money. I'm sure Gearhead will probably get you a pretty good deal though. But if you do decide on doing it yourself it really isnt all that bad, and the 1.8 can only be easier than the V6.

I got my parts from ECS, they have a nice complete kit for a good price. They use OEM parts where OEM parts are best, and use quality German aftermarket parts where aftermarket parts would be better, like the waterpump which is metal and not plastic. There was mention on Audizine about another place that sold a similar kit for a better price but I cant remember the name of it. Nice thing about ECS is that they are located in Ohio so you will get it in 1 or 2 days, but the bad thing about that is that you will pay tax.

Get a kit, some kits come with G12 which is nice, but you might be able to save some money if you get one without coolant and just pick up some dexcool, thats what I use. But you want to do all the belts, tensioner, rollers, gaskets, waterpump and thermostat.

I'd let you use my Cam gear holder but its only for V6's.

Guest Removed
Hmmm...interesting.

it does, went i looked it up i was surprised to see (just base time for the belt) was 4.0 for the v-6 and 5 for the 1.8t :confused: then of course all the add ons and so forth add up too, but you get the point

Get a kit, some kits come with G12 which is nice, but you might be able to save some money if you get one without coolant and just pick up some dexcool, thats what I use. But you want to do all the belts, tensioner, rollers, gaskets, waterpump and thermostat.

I'd let you use my Cam gear holder but its only for V6's.

Dexcool = fail I get free G12 at work!

Also I may need to borrow that cam lock bar at some point but not anytime soon my belt is only 15k miles old.

it does, went i looked it up i was surprised to see (just base time for the belt) was 4.0 for the v-6 and 5 for the 1.8t :confused: then of course all the add ons and so forth add up too, but you get the point

hmmm interesting, didn't know that either. Never did a TB on a 1.8t though. 2.8s and 2.7s are cake.