460 Ford timing issue..

ChevyMan1972

Please help. The 1st picture is my engine when I picked the car up after trading it for my custom. Look at the firing order.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/weavedan/1120092051.jpg

Notice the cap indication is 180 deg from normal position in number 1 spot.

This engine is out of the same year car from Popular Hot roding, it has a solid roller camshaft in it. It also has the same setup firing order as my engine.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/weavedan/0709phr_06_z1968_ford_galaxie_500.jpg

I currently have the cap and wires set with stock firing order indicated here..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k198/weavedan/88282G03.gif

What is the difference? And with my car setting in the diagram above will it not start correctly..

Thanks,

Dan

The location of the distributor doesnt matter at all. All that matters is that the #1 plug wire is on the terminal that the rotor points towards when the motor is at TDC on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder. The rest of the wires just need to follow the firing order of the cam.

Ok, I will look more into it tomorrow. Also I was on the crane website looking at their application page and, looking at what I have 1.72 roller rockers and 7/16 stud's makes me think I have one of their cam's I could be wrong. As soon as I get it running to move it to the back garage I can tear into it somemore...

Thanks guy's I will post back with updates tomorrow.

Dan

Guest Removed
and for shits, pull the dizzy out and make sure the gear didnt spin, and break the pin off in it. i have seen this several times aswell. and sometimes its hard to tell it ever spun it..just a thought tho. Edited by Removed

Update...

Got the car to run but not for long... Turns out I only have about 3 lbs of fuel pressure max...I think that is why the car wont stay running.. Looks like I am going to have to ditch the mech fuel pump and go with an electric system. It already has a fuel cell in it..

Dan

Car is running, all that needs done now is to put smaller power valves in the carb, car has 7 inches of vacumme at idle and is running fat, after valves are changed all shuld be well, putting mufflers on tomorrow to quiet things up a bit :) But sounds good, can't wait till springtime to take her out!!!

Dan