Olympic Luger Dies After Crash During Training Run

HAOLE

He was racing. No motor, but he was racing, and we of all people owe him a moment of silence.

Not that this is a funny subject but how you said this put a smile on my face cause its really true. Scene this on lunch at work crazy shit, seems as if it could have been avoided easily. If not some heavy padding as said some glass up the sides. I mean anything would be better than hitting a metal or concrete pillar at 88mph.

If not some heavy padding as said some glass up the sides.

you're onto something there. I think there should have been some type of design in place to prevent an out of control air-born luger from flying into the poles or out of the slide.

you're onto something there. I think there should have been some type of design in place to prevent an out of control air-born luger from flying into the poles or out of the slide.

The suggestion had apparently already been made. One of the people they interviewed said that some lugers who used to the facility in the last two years had said that the plywood walls above the chute on that stretch were too low. I'm thinking Lexan walls about four or five feet above the chute would have reduced this death to nothing more than a painful thump and a long slide.

It's interesting, because the guy they interviewed, who was on the scene when Kumaritashvili died, said he was also present when Scott Kalitta died, and made reference to the rules changes made in the NHRA.

It's interesting, because the guy they interviewed, who was on the scene when Kumaritashvili died, said he was also present when Scott Kalitta died, and made reference to the rules changes made in the NHRA.

that dude needs to get the fuck away from sporting events where people go fast and have a risk of serious injury. he obviously carrys around some shit luck with him

that dude needs to get the fuck away from sporting events where people go fast and have a risk of serious injury. he obviously carrys around some shit luck with him

you stole the words right out of my mouth... i don't know how well this would help but maybe put a rounded cap on the top of the track? that way you will eliminate some wind resistance/drag including some cross winds that might occur, and reduce the likely hood of another horrific accident like this in the future, it would be just like your in a tube. and as by others, and including be before it would be a shatter proof Plexiglas/lexan cap. they should atleast put a big fence around it like at NASCAR tracks. if not the cap.

There was no indication that the accident was caused by deficiencies in the track,” the International Luge Federation and the Vancouver Olympic Committee said in a joint statement.

What kind of statement is that? So a little padding on the steel post, or maybe a containment net is too much to ask?

A padded steel beam will do the same thing as an unpadded beam at 90 mph; it will turn your innards to mush.

Lexan flexes, if it's not supported it could cut some one in half; the pannel you hit deflects, the one you slid into does not.

A fine woven net might work, it may rip off any limb that can fit through the links.

I still haven't found a video of a luge wreck that threw the rider off the course.

Over lap the last foot traveling away from the rider. It should flex both pieces and allow non intrusive sliding along the panels... in theory.

Yeah, but a finely woven net will absorb energy from the rider, while glass/lexan will just keep the rider sliding along at a high rate of speed until they hit something else.